The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

Should or Shouldn't I buy ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Whitetalonb16g

15+ Year Contributor
Aug 4, 2003
Mahanoy City, Pennsylvania
Hey guys I stumbled across a Black 1992 Talon ES 5 speed for sale by my local garage basically looks like a TSi. I went and briefly looked at it today and he said it needed a motor. The mileage on the car was 170k or so and the body is in Excellent condition. He said he put it in the Autotrader for $1,000 but since he knows me he will sell it for $500. Upon my closer look the head was off the car, thats what he said was all he knew. So he told me he towed it in and the lady has since bought a new car and doesn't want anything to do with it. She gave it to him to pay for the tow fees and storage. He showed me the engine bay which had no head and you could tell the weather has gotten to it. I asked him if the head was included and he said he doesn't think he has it. I then popped the hatch and found the head in the hatch and found it had bent valves. So it doesn't need a motor im thinking at this point just a head.

Now I know this is a dumb questions do you think I should buy it and rebuild it to a turbo car spec or just fix it and drive it? Or is the price to high ? I know I could part the rolling chassis out and get my 500 back if worse came to worse. Im not sure if its a 6 or 7 bolt, I forgot to look at the build date. Even if i decide to scrap the entire project I could use the block (if its a six bolt) for my 90 GSX that needs a rebuild.

Any suggestions are welcome at this point.

Put it back together for N/T specs and drive it, if you don't like it as a commuter you could sell it to finance the GSX builup.

fix it if worst comes to worst you can sell it for 1000 on auto trader

Well I did it, I bought the car, I'll post pictures later. Oh btw the closer I looked at it, it seems the pistons got hit pretty hard and one has a minor hole in it. So now Im looking for TWO sixbolt shortblocks :) both turbo :)

or I'll just rebuild this one with turbo componets.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

You would be a glutton for punishment. $500 is not too expensive if you can drive the car for another $500, otherwise I would say it is not such a hot deal. But, what do I know? I have $3750 tied into the purchase of my car, and am closing in on $3000 in repairs...

The outside looks great. It sounds like it was good investment.

Whitetalonb16g said:

Is it just me? Or is that white 1g in the background got a 2g front bumper?

BTW: $500 is not a bad price. You can probably even part it out and get even more by selling parts on ebay.

i think you were seeing things :D

Whitetalonb16g said:
i think you were seeing things :D

I'm surprise, it doesn't look too shabby :thumb:

Sorry but i must ask about that 1gb with the 97-99 front end, i was considering the idea but how much fabrication was need for it to fit?

ben90tsi said:
Sorry but i must ask about that 1gb with the 97-99 front end, i was considering the idea but how much fabrication was need for it to fit?

cost of the bumper and creative with the dremel, the car has been dead for approx 2 yrs and I am still not satisfied with what the bumper looked like. I could of done a better job, you need to see it in person. BUT I know its possible to have a 2g 97-99 bumper on a 92-94, but u need to loose the metal bumper underneath. I am sure others have done it and know a better way but I rushed into it.

-------back to my thread------

Thanks for the comments guys, I've decided that this car will be given to my bud who wanted a DSM for the longest time. We have a good deal worked out and he will build it up. We talked and I bet he's gonna make it a TSi :D

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back