The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support ExtremePSI

Should I use break-in oil?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigRed12

Proven Member
Jan 23, 2013
Smithfield, Virginia
I am in the middle of ordering a bunch of parts to do a lot of previously neglected maintenance. My uncle, who has build many high HP motors, mainly SB and BBC, convinced me to go ahead and get a new set of oe spec pistons rings main and connecting rod bearings.

Normally with a new motor and a lot of machine work you want to run a break in oil that contains zinc. My questions is, if I dont do any machine work, like boring cylinders, line honing, etc. Should I worry about a break in oil? or just run conventional for the first few thousand miles?

I am not going for a high horsepower build right now. That will be later down the road and then I will be doing a lot of machine work on both the block and head. THIS, however, is an OE spec rebuild with maintenance in mind.

The break in is breaking in of the piston rings so yes use break in oil, whatever you wanna get just don't get synthetic oil, too slick. I hope you at least hone the cylinders.

yea, i will be honing the cylinders, but that will be the extent of "machine work" for now. The talon has 176K miles on it and has a good oil leak, so I am going through and replacing all gaskets and timing belt, water pump, etc. The pistons and rings were a recommendation by my uncle since we are gonna have the motor and trans out anyways, why not go ahead and put in new rings, piston, main bearings, and rod bearings.

Change oil every 20, 50, 100, 300, then 500 miles to call it good.
Change filter every time.
And, yes do the cheapest dino 10/w30 oil you can find since you're gonna be changing it quite often until before you can even think of using synth oils.

Good luck - DSM

I used conventional and lucas Oil Break in additive. I did a stock rebuild. Some say ZDDP helps seat the piston rings along with breaking in the Camshafts and so on.. I use it for peace of mind.

If you have a 6bolt motor it'll hold 400hp+ reliably. Idk what your goals are but if your build in the future is around 400 I'd highly recommend budgeting for machine work. At least make sure it specs out. That way no need to tear down again, just mod as your budget permits.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back