The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support STM Tuned

1G Should i upgrade cams? Will the engine still be reliable? Beefing up my 1990 gsx.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shobek

Probationary Member
Oct 18, 2008
Salt Lake City, Utah
I'm doing a street build right now on my 1990 gsx
Garrett GTX 3582R turbo
Injector Dynamics ID 1050x injectors
Aem high volume fuel rail
Haltech elite 1500 ems
Jm fab race intake manifold and matching throttlebody
Jm fab top mount t4 divided exhaust manifold

Going to do a no cat 3 inch exhaust with a muffler.

Wondering if I should do cams and if so what cam is best. Also what is the max safe horsepower I can run on a stock block and 91 octane pump gas? I am probably going with a meth kit as well.

This was my first car as a teenager and I've kept her for 16 years. I just got her running again with a remanned engine and I am looking forward to some fun! :)

Cams would be a must to take full advantage of a turbo of that size.

I would consider doing a bit more research on this forum to answer question such as , max horsepower for stock block, limits of 91 octane. In additions, mods such as a high volume fuel rail tend to be a waste and only for looks, stock rail has been proven to work very well with high HP applications. With a Haltech elite being your ECM or EMS it seems you are going all out, you will need to think about a fuel system that can support that turbo, line pump etc.

You will reach the limits of the stock block with a 3582 very quickly, low boost will be unresponsive with a turbo that size. Most likely you stock block has considerable miles on it, with the HP range of the 3582 you want to consider a full rebuild on the block

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back