The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support Rix Racing

Should I take my gs to turbo or use nitrous

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

army4life73

Probationary Member
Mar 13, 2012
bourbon, Missouri
Ok so I have come to a complicated decision. I tool my block and head to te machine shop I use and my head is fine but my block needs decked and bored. So it is getting bored .20 over. Well since I don't have any oversize pistons my friend who owns the shop told me he had a set of JE forged pistons and eagle H beam rods and all new rod and main bearings and piston rings. I'm getting a hell of a deal at 200 bucks for it all never used still in the box. Some crack head brought them to him and said he would bring a block for him to build and never came back. But anyways. My car is a 93 gs that I have thought and thought about making turbo since I have a gsx block with the oil squirters and had the stock turbo pistons and rods. But now since I am going to have a forged bottom end it's a debate between nitrous or turbo. Turbo I have to get a ton of small things to even run a 14b or 16g. But nitrous is simple and where I work at we are a zex dealer and I can get a complete dry kit for cheap or even a wet kit. If I do nitrous I want to do at least a 100 shot or a 2 stage with first being 75 and 2nd bein 150. I know the bottom end will handle it and my top end should be fine I have Evo springs and retainers and 3G lifters. I just want some other opinions on what I should do. Nitrous will be a lot cheaper since I'm on a budget of about 600 and that I have to buy all new gaskets for my rebuild.

My opinion being new to the dsm world is go turbo! It sounds sweet spooling up if your not hard on it then you get better gas milage. I'm not farmiliar with nitrous but I'm sure after a few tanks of it then u will pretty much be paying for that turbo that won't be going anywhere but to the pavement. Sounds like an easy choice to me.

If this is a daily driver and mostly will need the power for the streets then I would say go turbo. If you only need the power on track night then go N2o, however if you go turbo for the street and decide to get wild later you could do both for track night! Keep in mind N2o is not legal for street use FYI.

I say get a used 14b and manifold for roughly $150. Then you can get a stock ecu and 450cc injectors for about another $150. Then throw on a eBay dp for about $50 and your turbo for less than the cost of n2o, unless you get a hell of a deal through your work, and you don't have to pay to refill a turbo. That's my opinion. I had a wet kit on mine and it was fun but before I knew it I was always out of spray so I sold it and that help pay for my new turbo setup.

Ok I have been doing some looking since it does make more since to go turbo. Ad from what I have read besides the turbo ,mani,injectors,ecu and mass air from the turbo. Will I need to get like the injector resistor pack for the 450s , turbo throttle body and a fuel pressure regulator from a turbo car. I have a AFPR sittin in my garage and why would I need the turbo throttle body? My buddies looks exactly like mine. I know I will have to do some wiring for the turbo maf and the knock sensor which I have. Anything else major I would need to just run like roughly 12psi since it is a automatics fwd but the tranny has around 100 miles on it since I got it rebuilt.also what about the fuel pump will I need a bigger one or will mine work fine for low boost? Thanks everyone for all the input.

Also one more thing. What is the injector resistor pack. I have no clue on this. And one the nitrous I'm not sure cause my friend has a 92 vr4 with two 10lb bottles mounted behind his seats with the back gutted and has never had a cop say anything to him about them. They are in plain sight so my guess is some states are more strict with the law then others.

I have a small size nos bottle I want to use for my flame kit.. Is that ricey? I just don't want to get busted showing off the bottle.

WTF.. :notgood:

OP - you should just go turbo so you have nothing in common with this guy. A turbo, as people said would be more efficient I suppose you could say. Be there when you want it, and you won't have to refill it. Nitrous only lasts till you run out. Well unless you want a "flame thrower kit :tease:" LOL.

edit*** - also last time I checked, any such type of contraption is illegal in all states, so best of luck to you..

I'm gonna go turbo just tryin to figure all the things I need. I have the knock sensor and the 450 injectors. I can get a turbo fuel rail and regulator for 20 buck from a guy where I live and the turbo maf and stock canister for 25 and a 14b that needs rebuilt for 40 bucks. I have a 2g mani and o2 housing sitting in my garage. Anything else I really would need besides the ecu?

Hasn't been said but i'll ask LOL. Intercooler and piping? Also an oil pan for return line, and all related oil feed lines would be something you need to start sourcing to.

I Have a front mount mounted and piping ordered just some eBay DIY piping and couplers. My front mount is huge barely fits between the fog lights so I'm tryin to figure out how to bolt it up cause zip ties won't do the job on this LOL

Honestly, just save your money and get a gst or gsx that comes with a turbo already. It will be way easier to diagnose problems, making power safely, and keep the engine running right. DSMs are so old you can find them cheap now...

Honestly, just save your money and get a gst or gsx that comes with a turbo already. It will be way easier to diagnose problems, making power safely, and keep the engine running right. DSMs are so old you can find them cheap now...

Don't know why you would give such irrelevant information. Thing is going to basically be a built bottom end GST, and stock everything with the list he has. He's getting or has 450 injectors, a small 14b, and presumably an ECU from probably a GST/GSX. I don't see any issue with the path he is taking.

Obviously he's not aiming high for power (no need to buy a GST/GSX). There is more to keeping an engine running right then just going out and buying a cheap GST/GSX. Only problems he'll probably run into (given the engine is healthy from the start) will be regular maintenance.

WTF.. :notgood:

OP - you should just go turbo so you have nothing in common with this guy. A turbo, as people said would be more efficient I suppose you could say. Be there when you want it, and you won't have to refill it. Nitrous only lasts till you run out. Well unless you want a "flame thrower kit :tease:" LOL.

edit*** - also last time I checked, any such type of contraption is illegal in all states, so best of luck to you..

I am never running nos and Im not really going for the flamethrower look, you think Im stupid? However, I do want to show off the bottle with it serving no purpose. I plan on not setting my car on fire LOL

Ya I'm not looking for nothing wild just a fun DD. I drive 130 miles round trip a day to work so I eat something that I can mess with people if I want to LOL. I wouldn't even be forging my bottom end If I didn't Have to but since I'm getting a heck of a deal on the machining and the rods and pistons I might as well. And there is no point in running it n/a being low compression. Also anyone know about the injector resistor pack. I found a forum on here where it looks like a pack that you have to hard wire in your injector wires into and run wires from it to the ecu.

I say go turbo!:hellyeah: it might be more cost up front but i feel its more reliable and you never have to worry about refilling the nos tanks. its always there when you want or need it

Go turbo man, like everyone else said its there when u need it, no refills an more reliable, especially on a dd, an dnt no if ne1 added this or not but I'll need a blow off valve to, I'd just go wit a 1g bov they r just as good as most aftermarket ones for $100s of dollars less, make sure u get a aftermarket boost gauge to as the stock ones r not accurate, ull also need cams from a turbo 4g

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back