The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

Should I Switch To E85 With The Closest Station 35mins Away?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spadepro22

15+ Year Contributor
Mar 13, 2008
Seneca, South_Carolina
Well we have proved I'm at the limit of 93 by running 110. The car just doesn't like more than 18-20psi with low timing on 93. With that said the closest E-85 station to me is 35mins away(22 miles). I think its too far for a dd, but I'm looking for other thoughts on it. I'm really considering meth/water, but giving the E-85 a second thought. I don't have a garage so I can't store it at my house and pump it here, so that's out of the question.

I'm about 30 minutes out from my closest E85 station since I moved from San Diego so I run a pump gas tune until I go to the track and, in my situation, that E85 station is a mile from the track so it's on the way.

We can't tell you if it's worth it to us, it's whether or not it's worth it to you. When I lived in San Diego the E85 pump was about 15 minutes out but it was on my way to work so it was convenient.

Write your local congressman/woman to get more E85 stations. Seems like they're all closing up here in the Phoenix area... :toobad:

:dsm:

Yea its crazy here in S.C. They have the e-85 located in one of the smallest towns in the upstate and then put about 4 in one city about 20 mins from that station.

I use the switchable tunes function in dsmlink. Run a 93 tune daily and whenever I decide I want to go fast I drive 40 minutes to the nearest station. Juts plan the trip out where you run out of gas nearing the station :)

Like Gofer said nobody can answer this for you...

If the stations are not out of the way of any normal route. It very well might work fine for you to DD on and always have the power on tap... Or if not might be worth it to use at the track or when you just want the extra power. Dual maps are not a huge deal. Anyone that know what they are doing can set it up :p

If you figure it like this your gas light comes on pulling in your driveway. You with 22 miles to go would still always be able to fuel up with out running out.

As far as the last comment. I don't see how an Entire second fuel system an just as hard fuel to acquire (can't pull up to a pump at midnight if you are out :|) and the margin of error that depending on the systems or fail safes in place when injecting a lot. Not to mention the initial investment.

Not a "Win" in any book IMHO

I don't have e85 available but if I did and it was 35mins away I still would not switch. BUT I would have link setup to be able to run the e85 if I wanted to go to a track and have the added power. But for just dd I don't think the 35mins out of the way would be worth it. Unless of course it was on your regular route then id say heck yah and do it.
But no matter what you choose make sure that link is setup so you can run either.
Say you go on a roadtrip map out where you will stop for fuel and see what's available. If e85 is abundant id run e85 the entire way. If not you can swap to 93 etc.. that's howd I do it.

I doubt I would have made the switch to e85 if my station was that far away. Thanks to my1gdsm I was convinced.

But after the switch I dont think I could go back to pump gas. I didnt realize how big a performance gains were before hand. Just depends what your willing to do.

Well we have proved I'm at the limit of 93 by running 110. The car just doesn't like more than 18-20psi with low timing on 93. With that said the closest E-85 station to me is 35mins away(22 miles). I think its too far for a dd, but I'm looking for other thoughts on it. I'm really considering meth/water, but giving the E-85 a second thought. I don't have a garage so I can't store it at my house and pump it here, so that's out of the question.

Put some e85 in it so I can see what it will make already. Stop being lazy. 22 miles is not that far. You are killing me with the wait. You been tuning that car for over a month. I am surprise it is not blown up yet with all the pulls you did on the street. Pump gas is for weed eater and lawn mower. Stop putting that junk into your car. :nono: I will give you another week to figure it out and make it down here to Georgia to put down the number. After that I am going to come to Seneca to take that dsm and your hardcore racer card from you.

I don't think meth injection is for you if you are too lazy to drive 22 miles to get some e85. Meth/H2O don't come out of the pump. I would do two tunes. One low boost for pump gas and one high boost for e85. You are not suppose to abuse your daily driver anyway. Drive it around on low boost on a daily basis. When you go to the track or feel like beating someone up on the weekend, put some e85 in it and switch calibration. It is as easy to load another file with ecmlink.

Meth injection is not a bad idea. I would use the smallest jet possible if you are afraid of meth system failure. Tune it rich (11-11.3:1) and with conservative timing. This way if the meth system fail, the afr will not go too lean to melt parts and the computer be able to pull timing easily.

e85 ftw.:hellyeah::hellyeah::hellyeah:

btw. Get rid of that garbage manual boost controller too. I don't want to hear any excuses when you get on the dyno. 500hp and 500tq or bust.

Last edited:
I'd try a 50/50 blend of E85/pump. I run that now, and am very happy. Bring a few 5 gallon gas cans with you, and you'll probably only need to make the trip once every few weeks.

Why bother with the 5 gallon jerry cans?

Find a 55 gallon drum, fill it up, throw it in a buddies truck and repeat once in a while. You can make it last even longer if you do the 50/50 split of 93/E85.

I wish we had it here in Canada. I'd be using it for sure but instead I'm stuck with 91 :(

Joel

Edit : I completely glossed over the lack of garage part. That sucks. You could still put a drum hidden away in the backyard and fill jerry cans to fill the car though.

you could always fill up some 55g drums & store it.. Thats what I do so when I take a trip down to FL i won't run out LOL

Put some e85 in it so I can see what it will make already. Stop being lazy. 22 miles is not that far. You are killing me with the wait. You been tuning that car for over a month. I am surprise it is not blown up yet with all the pulls you did on the street. Pump gas is for weed eater and lawn mower. Stop putting that junk into your car. :nono: I will give you another week to figure it out and make it down here to Georgia to put down the number. After that I am going to come to Seneca to take that dsm and your hardcore racer card from you.

I don't think meth injection is for you if you are too lazy to drive 22 miles to get some e85. Meth/H2O don't come out of the pump. I would do two tunes. One low boost for pump gas and one high boost for e85. You are not suppose to abuse your daily driver anyway. Drive it around on low boost on a daily basis. When you go to the track or feel like beating someone up on the weekend, put some e85 in it and switch calibration. It is as easy to load another file with ecmlink.

Meth injection is not a bad idea. I would use the smallest jet possible if you are afraid of meth system failure. Tune it rich (11-11.3:1) and with conservative timing. This way if the meth system fail, the afr will not go too lean to melt parts and the computer be able to pull timing easily.

e85 ftw.:hellyeah::hellyeah::hellyeah:

btw. Get rid of that garbage manual boost controller too. I don't want to hear any excuses when you get on the dyno. 500hp and 500tq or bust.

1. 500 is not my goal
2. Its not being lazy driving 22 miles for e85 when its not in route to anything
3. Its easy to mix meth and water
4. I'm in no rush for the dyno and you giving me a week is worthless
5. Get your car to make it to the track(that should be #1 on this list)

Up to you really. I would grab my truck and 10 5gal containers and pick up reserves like that. But if you are dd'ing the car then no, its not practical. I thought it was an exaggeration when i heard about the power of corn LOL, hell no, massive difference going from 93 to e85. It really is very very noticeable.

Pump gas isnt that bad. I'm running 26psi on 94 oct and havent had problems. I beat the shit out of my daily. Anyway just thought I'd put that in, e85 is 30 mins out of the way for me so I'm gonna stick to C16 on track days. At 38psi if i can tune it up that high. Til then I'm gonna try and get 30psi out of this 60mm hx40 daily on 94 and i dont expect a single problem. 7* peak timing at the moment.

I dont have an e85 station near me closest one is 40 miles away. Me and a buddy bought 2 55 gallon drums of e98 and we mix our own. I love e85 I dont think I could ever go back to pump gas!! That being said my car is not close to a DD.

Make the trip to the E85 station and fill up a 5ga container the day before the dyno. Have your car tuned on 91oct then fill it up and have them tune it on E85, the numbers will tell you if it's worth the 22 mile drive to fill up.

Pump gas isnt that bad. I'm running 26psi on 94 oct and havent had problems. I beat the shit out of my daily. Anyway just thought I'd put that in, e85 is 30 mins out of the way for me so I'm gonna stick to C16 on track days. At 38psi if i can tune it up that high. Til then I'm gonna try and get 30psi out of this 60mm hx40 daily on 94 and i dont expect a single problem. 7* peak timing at the moment.
Put 91oct in your car and tell me how things work out for you with the same tune you run on 94oct. You can't compare the two fuels, if you were running 91 you wouldn't be getting over 24-25psi out of that HX40 and maybe 7* peak if you're lucky...

:dsm:

How about storing this stuff? I have access to 55 gallon washer fluid containers that I can take at work. I am just afraid of the quality of the fuel if sitting for a month

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back