The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

should i get evo tranny

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eclipseman*16

Probationary Member
Apr 29, 2002
laguna
okay i want to have 400 hp but i heard that u need to get a new tranny so what should i get and were should i get it.

Until you actually hit 400hp daily, don't worry. Yes our trannies are crap and it will die, but it won't magically go kablooey the minute you hit the 400 mark. It may die earlier and it may last. It depends on the tranny and care.

True evo trannies have a much different gearing than DSM trannies. They also have a different final drive so you would need to swap rear ends as well.

There are 3 trannies any DSM can use fairly easily. 1G, 2G, and Galant VR4's (JDM or domestic). The VR4 trannies have a longer and stronger first gear and input shaft but besides that are identical to 1G-2G trannies (as far as gearing and final drive is concerned).

When you do get to that point that a tranny rebuild is in order, the 3 places I would consider sending my trannies would be TeamRip (TRE), BM Tranny, and Shepherd Racing (as in John Shepherd). All quality all build damn good trannies. Prices and ETA vary. So do the options.

Sean,

The GVR4 transmission does not have a stronger 1st gear, the input shaft is smaller, weaker than the 1Gs and they do not come with 2nd gear dual cone syncros. I know this because Mark French of BM Tranny told me himself.

I've raced with both transmissions and my 60' were no better with the GVR4 longer first gear. BTW I broke my GVR4 first gear (wheel hop) taken out second gear and doing a lot of other damage as well. The transmission is now at BM Tranny and will have all 1G internals put in it.

Doug

well i really don't know much on the matter, but the way i see it BM is an extrememly good place, and i'm sure they know exactly what they're talkin about so i would def listen to them, but how much does anyone know about the EVO III tranny, and does anyone know where to find one?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back