The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Should I buy this engine rebuild kit?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1g-4g63t

Probationary Member
Jun 9, 2014
Calgary, AB_Canada
I have been looking for aftermarket 6 bolt internals to easily support my hp goals. I have in mind a 400 hp daily driver once my build is done. So far nothing in the classifieds on here or locally have worked out.

This kit is starting to look pretty good to me:

http://www.maperformance.com/map-2.0l-stage-1-engine-internal-rebuild-kit-dsm-6-bolt.html

If i get this kit I will be definitely be using my stock crankshaft. $1000.00 for wisecos, eagle h beams, acl bearings, and arp main studs. Not a bad deal, no?

Its what we paid but from different sources.

Wiseco's $510
Eagle $250
ACL (I would go kind xp, acl is now crap imo and others) $120
arps $120

stock uncut crank is good for 600+ hp

While I agree its not a bad deal, why spend the extra money on that when our engines have been proven into very, very high power levels with little modification to the stock long block? 400hp seems to be well within the capacity of the engine as long as you have the appropriate supporting modifications. In my personal opinion I would keep your motor as is if everything appears to be in good order.

Definitely don't waste time doing massive work on your internals if you are aiming for 400 bhp (or do you mean 400whp? Just curious) daily. I know at least one person who has not cracked into their engine at all, runs a larger turbo and does 12.0 passes all day long. If you have a 6-bolt, your rods are already bombproof so I wouldn't stress about it. Start with cams, exhaust, a good tune and maybe a bigger snail if you feel like it. Keeping it simple is often the best route. I went down the path of doing internals for about your power goals, and I should have probably not. :p It's a lot of work and unless you are a machinist, you would be wise to have an engine builder do the assembly for you so you have to budget in extra costs there as well. Ultimately it is your call, but that's my $0.02 :)

Hmm ok I was under the impression that freshening the motor up with performance parts would protect my investment in my built cylinder head. I mean, those bearings have been spinning as long as I have been alive!
The motor is out so i will tear it down and inspect everything. My buddy just finished his second year and did engine rebuilds, and he's offered to help.
I've also heard it is a very good idea to replace the oil pump while you have the motor out?

I saw this today and it reminded me of myself haha
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

If its out and you have the cash might as well do it now. Then if you do want to go over 400 hp in the future youll have a motor than can handle it.

Yes replace the oil pump but get an OEM one. We are using a orbit/acl now and shall see how it holds up.

def think about king vs acl bearings too, do some searches.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back