The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

Should I buy a high mileage 92 GSX?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Heavy-D

15+ Year Contributor
Aug 7, 2004
New Haven, Connecticut
I was searching for used cars and I finally found a decently priced 1992 Eclipse GSX. My only worry is that it has 141,000 miles, and I know 4 cylinder japanese motors can go upwards of 200k and still run but I want to know if you 90-94 eclipse turbo guys think it is OK to buy this car at that amount of miles and start tuning it. My plans would include putting in an EVO 3 16g turbo. So tell me if there would be problems with the 4G63 or if this is not the ideal choice for with that number of miles on it.

if its a 6 bolt i would definatly pick that up....all cars are different but mine has about 160,000 on it and it runs 13's with very low compression...how much is it? that would help a lot

140K on a Turbo Motor is like 280K on an N/T motor IMO - before you Mod anything AT A MINUMUM you need to relpace every Hose & all Fluids, delete Balance Shafts, delete Water to Oil Cooler, Replace all Timing Belt Components & Water Pump & maybe Oil Pump.

I personally would do a Head rebuild & install new Rings & Rod Bearings.

After about 3 or $4K worth of parts & Labor of MAINTENANCE you'd have a good reliable platform to start playing with provided it's a 5 Speed 6 Bolt as D/S said above...

Bought my 91 gsx with 114k miles, these are 13-14 year old cars expect alot of maintence. But thats half the fun anyways. You found a 1G GSX, damn right you should buy it :cool:

Heavy-D said:
I was searching for used cars and I finally found a decently priced 1992 Eclipse GSX. My only worry is that it has 141,000 miles, and I know 4 cylinder japanese motors can go upwards of 200k and still run but I want to know if you 90-94 eclipse turbo guys think it is OK to buy this car at that amount of miles and start tuning it. My plans would include putting in an EVO 3 16g turbo. So tell me if there would be problems with the 4G63 or if this is not the ideal choice for with that number of miles on it.

i've got 152,000 miles on my current talon tsi awd. check the compression. mine came out to be 145 across all 4 cylinders. very healthy still...and this one you're checking out may be too.

But, before you mod, like everyone else said...do all maintaince by checking hoses, fluids, belts...etc.

THEN you may get on with the modifications.

do a compression and leakdown, then go from there.

The car is selling for $2,000, and it is a 5spd. If I go up to where it is and take it to a shop to have looked at before I buy, what do you guys think I should have checked out besides compression. Also, it is a 1992 so did they have a 6 bolt flywheel, and if not, is it a major drawback? Thanks for all the answers so far

Check the production date on the car, if it before June 1992 (June Or July), it has the 6bolt/4bolt combo. If it was made after June (Or July), it has the 7bolt/4bolt combo. I would prefer the 6bolt/4bolt combo. But if it is a clean car and maintenance is fairly up to date and the compression is alright I'd be all over that car. :thumb:

I also am in the market for a new gst/x.. .ive seen this one 99 GSX with 80k for $9500... would it bad to consider this car? was thinking about giving him 8700 for it. but yea, its a clean 99 5spd gsx. What do you guys think?

Heavy-D said:
The car is selling for $2,000, and it is a 5spd. If I go up to where it is and take it to a shop to have looked at before I buy, what do you guys think I should have checked out besides compression. Also, it is a 1992 so did they have a 6 bolt flywheel, and if not, is it a major drawback? Thanks for all the answers so far

http://vfaq.com/mods/early-late-engine.html check it out

Good news. I am going to take a 2 1/2 hour drive up to see the car. When I get it checked out at a shop, will the shop know what the engine compression is supposed to be, or do I tell them. So my question is, what should the compression be on the engine, is it a ratio like 9.0:1 or something, or a different kind of measurement?

Heavy-D said:
Good news. I am going to take a 2 1/2 hour drive up to see the car. When I get it checked out at a shop, will the shop know what the engine compression is supposed to be, or do I tell them. So my question is, what should the compression be on the engine, is it a ratio like 9.0:1 or something, or a different kind of measurement?

Every shop should know a compression and leakdown test.

I dont know our ratios off hand. isnt it 8.5:1?

Anyhow, i believe perfect compression on a 1g motor is 162 or thereabout.

Servicable limit is 121. You want to be at 145 or higher i'd say.

Good luck!

i have 177,000 on mine and well it seems to be fine i am getting ready to put a 16g on the car this week because the stock turbo is warn out but if you have all the records of the car and someone else took care of it don't worry about it. i also have a 406,000 mile honda CRX turbo and a 235,000 Z-71 truck so what is a few miles between friends.

:thumb:

Wow seeing the mileage on some of these cars sure brings a good sign of durability on these motors. Right now I am sitting with 68,200 original miles, so it looks like I got a nice life with my car ahead :cool: My 1987 TA is sitting with 80,000 miles on the clock but 15,000 on the ZZ4. I paid $2,500 for the TA with 60,000 original miles on the clock, and I paid $3,500 for the GSX with 67,000 original miles on the clock :thumb:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back