The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

short throw(that actually lowers height of shifter?)

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

M1L3S

10+ Year Contributor
Apr 1, 2012
maple grove, Minnesota
I've read a couple forums, and I'm basically looking for a short throw shifter that reduces throw and height of the shifter. I would love one Damn near in the boot!

All the ones i have found reduce it by an inch or so. Is there any shifter that you have found that is a significant height difference ? Besides the "grinding to please method"

I've looked at the eBay Megan racing, and can't find any b&m .....

Also replacing rubber bushing with metal ! Pros and cons ?

Idk of any actual short throws in size wise. I been looking myself. Some people just cut and weld back together to make it shorter. Also get a Symborski shift kit, people love it, I'm sure you will too, I do :)

Just so you guys know, short shifters are not healthy for our trannys, but as far as i know, cut and weild.

Any true information on why this is?

I don't know 100% about the 2g but with the 1g you can over extend the shift forks with a short shifter. That would destroy your transmission it it were to happen.

my boyfriend has a short throw shifter in his car. im no help since it was installed when he bought it :/

I have just cut and rewelded mine. I know that isn't what you wanted to hear, but I don't think they sell a shorter height one.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1334925654872.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1334925654872.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 264
Looks like the Megan and the mirage racing one on eBay are short height and short throw.

As for the bushings, I went with a stiff set or metal i should say from dsmparts.com and changed them out once i did my cluthch and flywheel i wouldnt do the short throw but thats just me.

I got the one off ebay. It fits in just fine and the height is definitely reduced. Cant say how well it actually works until the engines back in.....

Is there any proof that it was the short throw that destroyed the tranny and not how the person was shifting ;)

I just hate hitting my radio (ended up just taking it out)
Also hate hiting the scanner and knocking it around in the cig port.

Just feels like a cluster f#*# in that part of the console :mad:

metal bushing that much better over rubber ?

Incorrect, cutting the top down makes it a short shifter not a short throw. The throw is affected by changing the pivot underneath.

Please buy a book and study levers. If you cut the height of the top of the shifter in half, you are halving the forward and backward distance while the angle will still be the same. The throw is shorter.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

The fulcrum is the pivot point. It is in the middle of the bushing, smack dab, not where the rod is welded to the bushing. In the middle of it.

a is the length of the original shifter.
b is the length of a chopped shifter.
x is the original throw.
y is the new throw.

b = ½·a

therefore:

y = ½·x

The angle is not needed. I just threw it in there because it's the actual angle I used.

Throw decreases by the factor you cut the shifter height by from the fulcrum. If you cut 25% off the height, you get a 25% reduction in throw. If you cut 38% off the height, you get a 38% reduction in throw. Choose any number, it will apply as long as it is it outside of the bushing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cutting the stock one is your best bet for height. I just installed a megan racing one with shifter base bushings and the height is just barely different then stock maybe 1 in .But the throw is much shorter.

Please buy a book and study levers. If you cut the height of the top of the shifter in half, you are halving the forward and backward distance while the angle will still be the same. The throw is shorter.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

The fulcrum is the pivot point. It is in the middle of the bushing, smack dab, not where the rod is welded to the bushing. In the middle of it.

a is the length of the original shifter.
b is the length of a chopped shifter.
x is the original throw.
y is the new throw.

b = ½·a

therefore:

y = ½·x

The angle is not needed. I just threw it in there because it's the actual angle I used.

Throw decreases by the factor you cut the shifter height by from the fulcrum. If you cut 25% off the height, you get a 25% reduction in throw. If you cut 38% off the height, you get a 38% reduction in throw. Choose any number, it will apply as long as it is it outside of the bushing.

Hey guess what... still wrong. There's a reason why people buy the B&M and Megan Racing short shifters. I have a B&M and ive had a welded short height stock shifter, big difference in throw. Night and day. You are WRONG KID. I am not going to get into the why and how for now, but you're sad pathetic math is wrong.

Turn your diagram upside down and then you'll realize what a short shifter actually does.
Not to mention the entirely new pivot point that the short shifter has.

Last edited by a moderator:
"My are" sad pathetic math is wrong?

People buy those shifters for a variety of reasons:

1. They don't have a welder or know anyone who does.
2. They want to just waste money on a part.
3. They want to justify their waste of money by bragging about an "official" part they wasted money on.
4. They want another sticker to put on their car to add power.

My math is not flawed. Go ahead, get a math textbook and try to prove me wrong. If you're only concerned with thinking that throw is the angle and you want to keep a constant height, then you need to change the fulcrum in relation to the cable connecting point. Chopping the shifter doesn't change the fulcrum, it just changes the ratio of the bottom length to the top length. It shortens the throw, and if you can't grasp this basic principle of levers and simple geometry, you ought to either go back to school or just give up in life. A good book to begin with, to teach your brain properly, would be The Way Things Work.

Hey guess what... still wrong. There's a reason why people buy the B&M and Megan Racing short shifters. I have a B&M and ive had a welded short height stock shifter, big difference in throw. Night and day. You are WRONG KID. I am not going to get into the why and how for now, but you're sad pathetic math is wrong.

Turn your diagram upside down and then you'll realize what a short shifter actually does.
Not to mention the entirely new pivot point that the short shifter has.

He is not wrong at all. IT is just a different way to achieve a shorter throw. IF you think than the throw is shorter than you don't understand physics. With this method you are without a doubt achieving a shorter throw, but you are loosing leverage. With most short throw shifters the shifter height is still there but there is a different length below the falcrum which shortens the throw and retains the leverage.

The real meat and potatoes is
1: location of pivot(fulcrum)
2: length of rod.(on both sides of pivot)
Its much like an arc. If the pivot, or fulcrum, is the same, the shorter height shifter will require a shorter throw.

It's impossible to shorten the effort side of a lever while the load stays the same and retain equal effort. It doesn't matter if you actually move the fulcrum (expensive short shifters) or if you change the effort side's length (chopping a stock one). To shorten the effort's travel means you must exert more force on the effort. The lesson is, and will always be, you will not shorten the throw and keep or lessen the effort it takes to shift.

It may be easier to imagine with gears. They are just many levers with a common fulcrum.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back