The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support STM Tuned

Short Shifter

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

myeclipse999

20+ Year Contributor
Dec 15, 2002
Kilgore, Texas
Can anyone tell me where i can get a short shifter for my 97 RS?

B & M makes a good one i hear, not sure if they have a website or not but i bet they do.

thanks for the great info. I will be ordering one next week!!!!:D

that's not technically a short shifter though. That just shortens the length of the rod holding the shift nob. The degrees the shifter has to move remains the same, granted it does shorten the shift some because even the the degrees are the same the circumfrance is less and that's equal to the throw distance, but it's pretty negligible, it won't shorten it nearly as much as an actual short shifter.

Cut-down shift levers to help a fair bit, particularly on the 2Gs with their Crown Schoolbus shifters. Kind of interesting none of the car magazines I've run across mention the "better shifter feel" over the 1G comes in large part from the greater leverage they have.
Also, instead of having to weld the shifter -always a nuisance if the welder isn't fairly good- you can just cut down the threads, grind or turn to diameter, and cut new threads further down the shaft.

Originally posted by mdre21
that's not technically a short shifter though. That just shortens the length of the rod holding the shift nob. The degrees the shifter has to move remains the same, granted it does shorten the shift some because even the the degrees are the same the circumfrance is less and that's equal to the throw distance, but it's pretty negligible, it won't shorten it nearly as much as an actual short shifter.

I've done this and trust me when I say, it shortens the throw a GREAT deal. (at least 50%) Anyway you cut it (not literally), either by way of a pivot change or a shortened rod, there's less magic or tricks you can stuff into a short shifter, whether you merely shorten a stock shifter or buy one already shortened. Furthermore, the pivot point is pretty much set in stone by the shifter rods' location under the console.

I've played with a B & M shifter and my shortened one, and there's no way it's worth $160 more or how much ever some people charge for it. But spend your money as you like. To me though, there's a lot that can be bought for that much dough.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back