The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

Shipping items to Canada from U.S.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I-luv-em-all

15+ Year Contributor
May 25, 2004
Regina, Saskatchewan_Canada
Hey guys, I guess this would be the best place to post this being a general question and such.

Well here is the problem. I just bought a intake from Dejontool.com, not beaking the product or dejon tool themselves or anything, I loved the intake and recommend it to everyone. But I payed like $105 plus 10.25 shipping or something with paypal using my visa. But then when UPS came to the door I had to pay an extra $50.26 for a brokerage C.O.D. Does anyone know why that would be?

I am asking this so I know if I will always have a brokerage C.O.D when I buy items from the U.S. Or is their anyway to find out If their is going to be a fee on an item or not?

Its called duty our customs department rapes us on Imported goods I just got a charge of $40 dollars today on a turbo. You should ask the seller to mark as a gift or a warranty repair.

Allthough Im starting to Think Its UPS scamming us though cause Ive never had to pay duty on anything shipped purolator or usps/canada post

PSI TSI said:
You should ask the seller to mark as a gift or a warranty repair.

Ill keep that in mind.

But come to think of it, I have bought a fuel pump rewire kit and a data logger on ebay and one was shipped canada post and the other was purilator and i had no charges. So I guess it could just be UPS. It sucks that UPS charges so much, because they are usually the fastest shippers.

This is a brokerage charge used by UPS. Very expensive. Try to have items mailed from the U.S. via USPS then you pay a flat rate of approx. $5 cdn + taxes. Some vendors use only UPS so shop around.

UPS=gougers!

A reputable vendor won't ship marked as a gift.

Best thing is to find the product in Canada. Next best is like dakmon says and have it shipped USPS. You might pay a little more up front but there are no surprises.

Oh yeah, and email UPS and tell them they suck!

Fedex! :thumb: Not only is their ground service faster than UPS, they charge lower rates to ship and duty charges are half the cost. Parcel post is good and cheap but sometimes will take up to 3 weeks.

Everything shipped out from under out Flag is a gift. Some countries bang the living hell out of their citizens for things mailed to them. Of course, there can be a fraud problem, but that's what economic independence can come down to, sometimes.

Everything shipped out from under out Flag is a gift. Some countries bang the living hell out of their citizens for things mailed to them. Of course, there can be a fraud problem, but that's what economic independence can come down to, sometimes.

:confused:

I just got a charge of $40 dollars today on a turbo.

Last year I paid $95 of brokerage fees for a turbo also! Damn UPS! :cry: Now, I always ask the shippers if they could ship by USPS. It takes a little bit more time but usually cheaper.

I used to live in London Ontario myself..

I found the customs came into play depending on the Value declared of the product...

above X number of dollars it no longer qualifies as a gift...

I got many a times raped when ordering from the states... I can't recall which shipping company i used tho...

UPS is to be avoided unless you really have no choice. They charge a large handling fee.

The one thing to keep in mind is that the handling fee isn't as bad for more expensive items as it is for cheap items. If you buy something for like $30 you can get charged almost that much on their fees. I bought tires from tirerack and I had to pay around $40 + taxes, duty, etc. In the end, the tires and shipping was about $450 CDN and I had to pay UPS $105 at the door. This isn't TOO bad and I was expecting it as I know people who buy things from the US all the time.

Bottom line is try to use USPS or FedEx.

If you live close enough to the border you can set up a FedEx account in an American city just across the border, ship your parts there, and then drive them over. Border guards don't really care most of the time.

I bought an Injen intake and hard intercooler piping from a guy in Florida. Had it shipped via UPS to me in Ontario Canada, and I was charged $98 for "COD - Brokerage Fees". Happened again on a muffler that was shipped through them across the border.
I would recommend having things sent USPS, as there aren't usually fees like this, but the only thing good about UPS is the updated tracking, where USPS is very slow at updating.
Just my 0.02

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back