The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Shipping a car? Ideas?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NHerron

10+ Year Contributor
Nov 5, 2011
Missoula, Montana
Hey guys I need to get my car out of storage in Idaho. I'm in Indiana.

Have you guys any recommendations? Has anyone shipped a car by semi or train?

I'm exploring the shipping possibilities right now :)

Thanks

There are car brokers on line. From my understanding it's a bid process based on distance. I had a car shipped from NY to OK and it was 1000$.

There are car brokers on line. From my understanding it's a bid process based on distance. I had a car shipped from NY to OK and it was 1000$.

Was it a big pain to get the car loaded and unloaded? Or is it pretty straightforward?

Like they come to you, they load it up easy painfree, transport it and deliver it to your custom requested location?

Or is it like a place you have to meet them at both to and from like a uhaul etc.?

I dont remember the pickup but dropoff was wherever I specified that a semi could go. Pretty painless. I actually had the guy unload behind a wal mart. He was cool about it too. Knew the car was rare and was very careful.

Just looked into this recently when contemplating buying a car from ohio. Don't put your info into an online setup that brokers several shipping companies, they will email, call and text she crap out of you.

Otherwise they asked me a ton of questions and really covered all the info of loading, unloading etc. I was quoted between $1000-1400 for my endeavor.

I've shipped 3 cars from CA back to Ohio. Averaged $1k. They will pick the vehicle up wherever it is located. One company brought the entire semi to grab the car. Another borough a flat bed to take the car to a depot where it was loaded onto the truck. They typically like to deliver to a business address for easier unloading and such but I'd imagine residential delivery is possible. Go online, Google some carriers, and call them directly. I tried to enter my info and have them bid it once. As mentioned above, my phone didn't stop rining for a couple weeks.

I shipped a car from IA to CA. It was $850 cash on delivery. Plus the broker fee ($200 i think). They ask if the car is driveable. I presume they charge more if it isn't. They also ask if you want open or closed carrier. I chose open and the car was relatively dirty when delivered. Pickup and drop off was arranged with the driver based on location where semitruck can park (close to freeway) and there aren't low hanging trees since they carry other cars. But I think all that is negotiable. They did body condition inspection before and after and you sign off on it upon delivery. Also note the driver had to rearrange the cars on trailer for some reason. So it maybe loaded and unloaded several times.

uship.com had a buddy use it seems pretty easy.

X2. I used it to get my eclipse from Florida to NC. I paid like $800 and oh my God the company I got was a ghetto sketchy pos. The broker was awesome but the actual company they used SUCKED. It arrived a week late and with the battery stone dead due to them leaving the key on. They did unload it for me but didn’t have jumper cables...

I would do it again but I’d be smarter next time and have the person who’s gonna meet the driver take pictures of their plates, of the actual driver, and their vehicles. Also make sure the contact number works because none of the ones they gave me worked. I had to contact the guy in Florida who sold me the car and met them to load it for the phone number he got a call from. L o l. It was a scary time. I really thought someone had stolen my car.

Thankfully after reminding them I had a picture of the vehicle, a description of them, and contacts in police departments across GA where they were located, they were very keen on keeping me updated.

Long post, sorry, but hope this helps.

I shipped a car from Oklahoma to Maryland, it was pretty simple. Met the semi at a lot near my house and did the inspection check list, the driver loaded the car and that was it. $850 and 3 weeks later the car showed up unscathed.

Just to update how this all went down. Feel free to ask any clarifying questions.

I ended up going with https://www.amerifreight.net/
Excellent company, very thorough communication and good at walking you through the process. Always answered the phone and all questions.

I paid around $1100 to get it shipped from Montana to Indiana. Picked up Thursday afternoon, arrived Sunday morning. Almost 2k miles in 3 days. That's really good time! He was on it! Oh and what a beautiful sight when I pulled up to the parking lot and there she was unloaded ready to go! :) Anyway-

The driver also was very good at communication (text and call) and everything was scheduled and on time.

I can't complain about anything really.

Thanks everyone for your thoughts and info! Have a fantastic week!

Just to update how this all went down. Feel free to ask any clarifying questions.

I ended up going with https://www.amerifreight.net/
Excellent company, very thorough communication and good at walking you through the process. Always answered the phone and all questions.

I paid around $1100 to get it shipped from Montana to Indiana. Picked up Thursday afternoon, arrived Sunday morning. Almost 2k miles in 3 days. That's really good time! He was on it! Oh and what a beautiful sight when I pulled up to the parking lot and there she was unloaded ready to go! :) Anyway-

The driver also was very good at communication (text and call) and everything was scheduled and on time.

I can't complain about anything really.

Thanks everyone for your thoughts and info! Have a fantastic week!

I’m jelly with how well your experience went. Congrats though man! Post some celebratory pics. :D

Try EagleAutoTransport they were able to ship my gst from Chicago,IL to Madera, CA within 1 week roughly my car arrived the fee I paid was $900 upon arrival and $100 before hand through PayPal, it was delivered to my door and pretty straightforward no bs involved. I would give them a call if I ever needed to repeat the process.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back