The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

1G Shifting Problem 1g DSM

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smoodle

Probationary Member
Apr 17, 2020
Sutherlin, Oregon
My 1990 Eclipse GSX won’t go into any gear when I try and shift, so the car has been immobile. It will only go into reverse but will grind so I pull back into neutral. It did not do this when I first got the car but after I replaced the clutch master and slave cylinder (I did this because it would go into gear but needed to be pumped like five times before I could) and now this problem is here. Today I replaced the save cylinder push rod with an extended rod to help increase throw but the problem consists. It sounds like there is just air in the system and I need to purge it but it does not work. Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Make sure there’s no air in the system. Then adjust the master rod and make sure the relief port isn’t blocked. You do this by pushing the slave back in by hand. If you can’t, you’ve blocked the port. There’s a debate on extended slave rod. Imo it doesn’t work.

If you still have the old one, compare them. I threw mine out before measuring mine. Mine new one is 3/4 and red and everything worked out for me
If you still have the old one, compare them. I threw mine out before measuring mine. Mine new one is 3/4 and red and everything worked out for me
The one I ordered on rock auto says that it’s also 3/4. It’s a clutch save cylinder by centric parts

My guess is you’re not bleeding it correctly. Order a speed-blender valve on amazon and have it bled 5 minutes after it arrives . That easy.
I’m pretty sure I’m bleeding it right I’ve done with others who have done it before but I’ll look into that speed bleeder valve that looks like a good idea

I have the red/gold one so I believe it’s 3/4. If I switched to the green one wouldn’t that decrease the distance the push rod throws?

This is how I bleed mine after reading the post about air being trapped in the slave. I used the two person method along with the hose to a bottle with the line submerged in brake fluid. Bleed it like you’d normally do with the two person method with the hose attached. Once that’s done and with the bleeder open, I pushed the slave back in and held it, then have the person pump the clutch several more time then close the bleeder. Hope that makes sense.

You’d want the larger of the two so there’s more fluid to push. Have you adjusted the master rod and bench bleed the master?
I haven’t heard of having to “bench bleed” the master cylinder in any tutorial I’ve watched or read. I didn’t think I needed to

This is how I bleed mine after reading the post about air being trapped in the slave. I used the two person method along with the hose to a bottle with the line submerged in brake fluid. Bleed it like you’d normally do with the two person method with the hose attached. Once that’s done and with the bleeder open, I pushed the slave back in and held it, then have the person pump the clutch several more time then close the bleeder. Hope that makes sense.
It totally does make sense thank you but I already have been doing that

Incorrect. Smaller piston will travel farther. Simple geometry of volume displacement.

I’m confused. If the piston is smaller, that means the bore is also smaller so there’s less overall fluid. Is the bore the same in both slaves

I haven’t heard of having to “bench bleed” the master cylinder in any tutorial I’ve watched or read. I didn’t think I needed to

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Wouldn't bleeding the air out of the slave cylinder also take the air bubbles out of the master cylinder since it would be bleeding out of the master to the hardline then the slave anyways

I don’t think it’ll make it down to the slave if there’s air trapped in the master. Every time you let off, it’s sucking the fluid back up.

Wouldn't bleeding the air out of the slave cylinder also take the air bubbles out of the master cylinder since it would be bleeding out of the master to the hardline then the slave anyways
No. In theory yes but in practice no. Master doesn't bottom out while installed. It will if you bench bleed. Air gets trapped. It can stick to the walls too. Tiny bubbles.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back