The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

Shifter Popping out of 1st Gear!!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Black98Gst2

Probationary Member
Mar 1, 2004
marlboro, New_Jersey
I bought my car back in May.. Its a 98 Gst. Ever since I got it I had a problem where when I put it in first gear it would grind into it. Now it is worse. It doesnt grind if i wait like a second after a push in the clutch. But half the time I put it in first and start going, it will literally POP out of first gear, and I have to keep putting it back in. Even holding it in first doesnt help. It still pops out because of the amount of force it has. Once it is finally in, there is no slipping, and it runs fine along with every other gear. Any suggestions? Thanks

rebuild the tranny, the gear face is hosed, and your shift rails are probably way out of spec, causing only half the syncro to be engaged. I had the exact same problem with my first tranny, my second tranny got ####ed in much the same manner. My third tranny is still plotting how it's going to break on me, but until then it's doing great. Bottom line: you need a rebuild, no oil or cable adjustments will help it popping out of first on a 2g.

Thanks a lot man.. Thats the answer I was hoping for. Where do you suggest I get a rebuild? Any specific place?

i'm awaiting a shipping box from tre, and my tranny does exactly what you are describing. it also is grinding into second. i'l let you know how much it ends up costing, and what exactly was wrong :thumb:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back