The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

1G Shift arm tango? 90 shift arms in a 92

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

19gsx91

10+ Year Contributor
Apr 20, 2011
Walworth, New_York
Okay guys bear with me here.. but.. once upon a time I had a 1991 laser RS turbo 5spd, it started grinding going into 2nd gear (still have that trans if anyone is interested?) and i swapped it out for a 1990 transmission and my shifting was MUCH MUCH shorter (All i ever did was the trans swap, nothing goofy with the cables, just slapped a 90 trans in and went) but I have since sold the car to move on to a GSX.

I am still friends with the guy I sold my laser to and the shifting in that car compared to my 92 GSX is night and day..

The short of what I am asking is can I take the shorter shift arms off a 90 that are at the base of the trans (as illustrated in many threads about why certain shifter cables won't work) and put them in my 92 to shorten the shift throw?

You could, but the k lever on the trans, the one thats shorter on the 90, and thus responsible for the shorter throw and also for the shifter no longer hitting its stops and putting the shift forks in the trans at risk for breakage is a major pain to get off the shaft. You need a serious air hammer to get the pin out. Id just get a short shifter from jnz and call it good, if hes got any for sale. I knew a guy who put all 91 shift base, shifter, cables and brackets in his 90 then put in a short shifter and the throw was so short it was insane, but the shifter was way off the stops and he broke the shite out of the 1-2 fork

Ah, I had a bad experience with JNZ so I have since completely boycotted any of their products, but I may do some research to see if it's worth the money to do that short shifter (I'll give them another shot if the reviews are really good). Do you personally have any experience with it? I know the pacesetter one is no good but I would like something to help the shifting feel.. I guess is one way to describe it. I am not aiming for "fast shifting" but as this car is my summer daily driver I find it annoying that when I'm going through the gears I keep thinking about a car I used to have instead of what I am driving now.

Before anyone chimes in on this, I already have the symborski shifter base bushings and solid bushings at the trans end so short of shift forks, or a short shifter I am really not sure there is anything I can do to improve the feel

Yeah. Ive got their shifter in my Laser. Ive modified stock ones and also had a modified Fidanza before and the JNZ shifter is by far the best ive ever had. Extremely nice and tight. Trouble is its made from a 3000gt/ stealth shifter which arent made anymore but you can get one from the junkyard for five or ten bucks and send it in and if you sent two or three he may make ya one for next to nothing. I robbed two just last weekend. There are also two rubber bushings that hold the lower cable bracket to the tranny that you can replace with aluminum bushings that Shep made. Shep sold them and may still have some. Ive got everything but the solid brass shifter bushings- not talking about the base bushings here, there is a brass one that goes on the h lever on the trans that can beused to replace the six plastic bushings on the shifter parts. Im going to do it at some point and ill have to look up the part number.

Last edited:
Alright I'll look into it, I can actually get my hands on stock shifter bases fairly easily for almost nothing, assuming the other yards nearby haven't crushed all the 1gs :/

Thank you for the info!

Just remember, if youre wanting the short shifter made, you have to rob both shifter parts from the 3000gt/stealth. You dont need the base, just the shifter arm and the part the shifter arm bolts to that bolts to the base.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back