1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

She's A Keeper

Year:
Model/Trim:
Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support STM Tuned
  1. TheBrownMike

TheBrownMike Probationary Member

Joined Apr 9, 2018
    SAN DIEGO, California
    1991 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    5 Speed, 6/3 Bolt Combo
    69k when purchased, 71k Currently

ECMlink
    FIC 1600cc
    Walbro 255
    Speed Density
    Mishimoto Radiator/fans
    VRSF FMIC
    MAF Delete

Background:

I've been into DSM's since the early 2000's when my brother had a converted GS-T. I bought my first one in the 03-04 timeframe, a 90 Talon TSi FWD. Sold that a little while later for a 91 GSX that I had for a year or so, blew it up and rebuilt it, eventually sold it. I came back a few years later to buy a built rolling shell, and built a motor for that to compete with a buddies 67 Mustang, had it for a few years before parting it out. Fast forward a decade and wishing I had a GSX again, I started my search...

The Car:
    1991 GSX, 5 Speed, 6/3 Bolt Combo.
    I bought this GSX in March 2018, after months searching for clean 1Ga somewhere on the west coast. I drove over 1,000 miles to Denver, Colorado to pick it up from the original owner "Dave" with 69k miles on it. The car had been sitting in his garage for 8+ years, and finally decided to part ways with it due to him moving across the country. The car was unmolested, and 100% stock (with the exception of the rims), and seemingly very well cared for. It also came with the original fan wheels. Aside from minor chips on the hood and windshield, assumingely from the Colorado roads, the car was one of the cleanest 1G's I've seen. The bra and wool seat covers had been on the vehicle since the early years according to Dave. After a beer and some paperwork, we loaded the GSX onto the trailer for its ride home.

Craigslist Ad pic
    IMG_1116.jpeg

Smells like a DSM...

IMG_1123.jpg

Ready to go

IMG_1130.jpg

Welcome home

IMG_1131.jpg

Part 1: Clean, Investigate, and Begin Maintenance
    First task was to clean her up and take a more in depth look into things. After a good wash and vacuuming, I was surprised that when I removed both the seat covers, and bra, underneath was just as nice. The hood and bumper cleaned up easily, and the seats were immaculate. I was astounded to see that everything worked, lights, radio, wipers, HVAC, etc. Even the fact that it had al the interior plastics, carpet, spare and jack, cargo cover. The only thing it didn't have was the sunroof glass storage bag and wind deflector. Under the hood revealed good things as well, aside from some rat poop, leaves, and road grime. Lots of scrubbing and simple green later, she was looking freshened up.

CLEAN!
    IMG_1136.jpg

Dat Booty
    IMG_1132.jpg

Always gotta take her bra off...
    IMG_1135.jpg

Almost completely dent free
    IMG_1133.jpg

Headliner and visors all taught
    IMG_1138.jpg

Back seats are super clean
    IMG_1140.jpg

Interior looks brand new
    IMG_1153.jpg

Full interior plastics, cargo cover and more!
    IMG_1147.jpg

Paint chips from Colorado roads and some gunk from the bra

IMG_1150.jpg

Not too bad for a 27 year old car
    IMG_1151.jpg

The biggest task was the first one, the gas tank. It had been sitting with about 3/4 of gas in it for close to a decade and cleaning it was my first testament of love to this car. After siphoning and draining the tank, I went about vacuuming, rinsing, and scraping everything I could out of the tank. The fuel pump and hanger was useless, so I sourced a better one from a guy on a FB group. I used electrolysis to removing the rust and corrosion on both the hanger and tank itself, which worked very well. I replaced the pump with a stock equivalent for the time being.

Mmmm Yummy...
    IMG_1155.jpg

The gunk left behind
    IMG_1159.jpg

About 1/3 of what I pulled out of the tank
    IMG_1161.jpg

Freshened up hanger and Walbro 255

IMG_1184.jpg

Next up was, you guessed it, TIMING BELT. It's been a minute since I did one of these jobs, so I took my time and did it right. New belts, water pump, and tensioner and everything went back together after a triple check. I also pulled the plugs and injectors, cleaning those up as well making sure they weren't clogged, as well as a new fuel filter. I flushed the coolant, brake, and clutch lines, did an oil/filter change. Replaced the transmission, and transfer case fluids as well. (Still need to do the diff fluid..) After all that, she got a new battery and it was time to see if she runs...

Most DSM owner have probably never seen the wire keepers
    IMG_1169.jpg

Looked good for 70k (old belt)
    IMG_1168.jpg

After a few cranks and a sputter or too she fired up and maintained a decent idle. Finally breathing again after almost a decade of storage. At this point the next big hurdle was passing smog. Remarkably after failing the first time (255 + stock FPR = rich), I swapped in a stock size fuel pump and it passed with flying colors. At this point I was making my plan of what I wanted to do with the car. I decided based on the condition of it, I would stick to a mostly stock appearing setup with some go fast goodies, doing my best to be as minimally invasive as possible and keeping all the stock parts that came off the car as well.

At this point the car was relatively road worthy, I started with some minor test drives and function checks, it seemed to do well. I did notice an exhaust leak which turned out to be broken studs, so I replaced all of manifold studs and bolts. Broke one manifold-turbo bolt in the process, which took forever to drill out. Anti-seize went on to all replaced hardware. Anything that comes off the car, gets thoroughly cleaned and degreased before being replaced.

Broken stud finally drilled out
    IMG_1265.jpg

New manifold hardware

IMG_1211.jpg

Read more about this vehicle here...

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 29, 2018

236  14

awd · manual · 1G DSM
    Waco4g63 and buddahboost like this.
  2. TheBrownMike

Joined Apr 9, 2018
    SAN DIEGO, California
    Part 2: Performance Mods
    RADIATOR
    : The stock radiator had a broken neck, so I replaced it with a Mishimoto unit. I have a Mishimoto fan/shroud waiting to be installed as well.

So shiny
    IMG_1299.jpg

New radiator in and clean engine bay

IMG_1300.jpg

FMIC: A VRSF kit was acquired, which required me to very reluctantly and carefully, cut the core support for the piping. I also opted to notch the crash bar in hopes of some protection, and had to slightly trim the backside of the bumper due to the FMIC sitting farther out since I am retaining AC. I also deleted the P/S "cooler" during this. I made some sheetmetal ducting to help improve the airflow. The top piece has sides as well, the bottom is a temporary one that will eventually have sides too. As is, you can feel a good pull in front of the FMIC with the one fan on.

Sheetmetal ducting (top and bottom)
    IMG_1847.jpg

Underside ducting pic
    IMG_1686.jpg

Engine bay with short route piping
    IMG_1687.jpg

Speed Density/Maf Delete:
    After getting ECMlink in the car, it was a no brainer to go speed density. Being in California, we have to deal with smog nazis, which prompted me to take the "stock appearance" thing to the next level, by keep the stock air can, but removing the MAF. I replaced the MAF plug hole with a piece of painted sheetmetal to help disguise it from the not-so-nosey officials.

"Stock" aircan
    IMG_1619.jpg

To Be Continued...

Last edited: Dec 29, 2018

236  14

awd · manual · 1G DSM
    arodgst and Daniel Hearn like this.
  3. TheBrownMike

Joined Apr 9, 2018
    SAN DIEGO, California
    Reserved for more..

236  14

awd · manual · 1G DSM
  4. TheBrownMike

Joined Apr 9, 2018
    SAN DIEGO, California
    Reserved for more...

236  14

awd · manual · 1G DSM
  5. Techn0Nut1996

Techn0Nut1996 Supporting Member

Joined Jan 20, 2017
    Ames, Iowa
    Love the car, red on 1Gs just looks soo good!!

724  3

1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
    fwd · manual · 2G DSM
  6. chrysler kid

chrysler kid Proven Member

Joined Dec 20, 2002
    Mckinney, Texas
    I mean it's your car, but you contradict yourself by saying how clean and stock the car is in the first post, and then proceed to butcher the core support to make it another dime a dozen modded car.

So if youre going to cut the core the then you might as well delete the power steering. If you delete the power steering you may as well delete the ac, if you delete the ac you may as well delete the emission system.

Its just a long windy road of broken parts and broken bank accounts.

And since this is a response to your first post I just wanted to see if you have a goal for the car. Nothing wrong with a racecar

2K  15

fwd · automatic · 2G DSM

2K  12

1996 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
    fwd · manual · 2G DSM

1K  0

14.1 @ 97 · 2G DSM
  7. 181161

181161 Proven Member

Joined Mar 19, 2011
    El Paso, Texas
    he said he wanted a mostly stock appearing car with go fast parts. That's enough to justify what he did and those are his goals for the car. No point in saying he's contradicting himself. let him do his thing. Cars looking good. Keep it up.

Street Build 567  1

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GST
    awd · manual · 2G DSM

Street Build 707  4

fwd · manual · 2G DSM
    illegal99si and buddahboost like this.
  8. brian9397gsx

brian9397gsx Proven Member

Joined Apr 28, 2008
    sioux city, Iowa
    I like it good clean mods. Trimming the core support does nothing to detract from your core. Good job on keeping your mods tasteful so far.

brian9397gsx

2K  0

1993 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    awd · automatic · 1G DSM
  9. TheBrownMike

Joined Apr 9, 2018
    SAN DIEGO, California
    I get what you are saying, I actually sat there and tried to figure out if it would be possible to use silicone couplers to make a soft piping pass through, but it really wasn't feasible. As for the core support work, it wasn't butchered at all, I took my time with it and cleaned things up nicely. I have been down that route, drank that koolaid and learned from it.

Now that I look, I don't think it says it in the build thread, just the profile, but the goal is basically to be a "restomod" car. Mostly stock appearing, with some modern performance upgrades.

As for the other comments, thank you! Everything being done to this car will be reversible, minus cutting for the FMIC. All the stock parts are being kept as well. I feel like these cars will never have a market of stock/repro parts available like most classics, so some tasteful mods and good reliable power will be the best way to do the preserve the history.

236  14

awd · manual · 1G DSM
    chrysler kid likes this.
  10. Red_EcliPzE_GsX

Red_EcliPzE_GsX Proven Member

Joined Nov 25, 2002
    Irving, Texas
    Jesus christ what a find! I just recently picked up a red 1990 gsx in Waco, but it is in terrible shape compared to your find! Can't wait to see all the updates on this car. Incredibly clean!

333  3

1990 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    manual · 1G DSM
    TheBrownMike likes this.
  11. Waco4g63

Waco4g63 Probationary Member

Joined Aug 14, 2018
    Philipsburg, Montana
    Man I dig it, I think it looks sweet nice and clean. Keep the photos coming!

Street Build 293  0

1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    awd · manual · 2G DSM
    TheBrownMike likes this.
  12. chrysler kid

chrysler kid Proven Member

Joined Dec 20, 2002
    Mckinney, Texas

Yeah but you did also delete the condesor fan which means your getting rid of the ac system. You also deleted the charcoal canister to relocate the battery lower in the engine bay

If the car was to roll across the barrett Jackson floor tomorrow your modifications would have decreased its value.

It isn't a restomod since the car didnt need to be restored, youre just modifying it. EBay front mount and td05 framed turbo. Gotcha

Last edited: Jan 2, 2019

2K  15

fwd · automatic · 2G DSM

2K  12

fwd · manual · 2G DSM

1K  0

14.1 @ 97 · 2G DSM
    ist dwa likes this.
  13. TheBrownMike

Joined Apr 9, 2018
    SAN DIEGO, California
    Maybe if you asked more about the build you might get answers, such as...

-The condenser fan wasn't reinstalled at the time of the picture, currently there is a set of slim fans that will be going in place of the stock ones. That A/C is fully intact and still blows cold.

-The charcoal canister is out of the car temporarily, in fact, all the emissions lines are out. Half of them were leaking. Part of the "To-Do" list is replacing them, in the mean time, I'm taking advantage of the space.

I never once said this car was going to be a car worthy of an auction, let alone Barrett Jackson, however, there plenty of modified cars that run through there. This is a car thats meant to be driven, and enjoyed.

I'm sorry that it doesn't fit with your definition of being restorable, or a "restomod". However, in MY opinion, keeping with original styling with modern performance seems to fit it quite well.

EDIT: Upon checking your build's, your "GST Restoration" seemed to be quite similar in modifications as mine so far, so I fail to see why the negativity?

Last edited: Jan 3, 2019

236  14

awd · manual · 1G DSM
    1cleangsx, 181161 and buddahboost like this.
  14. buddahboost

buddahboost Proven Member

Joined Aug 15, 2007
    CHICAGO HEIGHTS, Illinois
    Keep up the good work. Clean car deserves a few goodies.

TheBrownMike likes this.
  15. 311oneG

311oneG Supporting Member

Joined Dec 14, 2018
    Spanish Fork, Utah
    Good looking ride! keep it up with the updates. I'm trying to learn everything I can as I try to rebuild my barn find LOL

Street Build 292  1

1990 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
    fwd · manual · 1G DSM
    Red_EcliPzE_GsX likes this.
  16. Red_EcliPzE_GsX

Joined Nov 25, 2002
    Irving, Texas

Attached Files:

333  3

manual · 1G DSM
    iugrad92turbo likes this.
  17. TheBrownMike

Joined Apr 9, 2018
    SAN DIEGO, California
    Gonna be a couple months before I'm back home, but I assure you there will be some then!

236  14

awd · manual · 1G DSM
    Red_EcliPzE_GsX likes this.
  18. illegal99si

illegal99si Proven Member

Joined May 26, 2006
    Annapolis, Maryland
    Looks good. Wish I had taken a similar route when installing my fmic.

371  0

1993 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    11.800 @ 115.000 · 1G DSM
  19. bmxer89

bmxer89 Probationary Member

Joined Oct 4, 2006
    Morrison, Colorado
    Sweet car man. Keep up on the posts. I have a bone stock 92 Talon AWD that I am about to do the same kind of minimal build.

TheBrownMike likes this.
  20. Red_EcliPzE_GsX

Joined Nov 25, 2002
    Irving, Texas
    anymore updates/pictures?? I am in love with this car!

333  3

manual · 1G DSM
  21. tk106

tk106 Supporting Member

Joined Sep 11, 2017
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Nice find man!! Super jealous LOL. Highly recommend using the oem turbo to manifold bolts with oem washers. I used ARP bolts with oem washers and they backed out and had to constantly retorque them. Switched to oem and haven't to touch them since.

88  3

2000 Jeep Cherokee Sport - Classic
    awd · automatic · Misc Vehicles

115  4

93 Civic 4 Door -sold-
    fwd · manual · Misc Vehicles

Street Build 2K  6

1992 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    12.625 @ 111.42 · 1G DSM
    TheBrownMike likes this.
  22. TheBrownMike

Joined Apr 9, 2018
    SAN DIEGO, California
    Sorry been super busy working on the sandrail, traveling and work.
    Not a whole lot of updates:
    -Finished inspecting/cleaning vac lines and components.
    -Cleaned and replaced the battery tray and mount.
    -Cleaned the Evo wheels I picked up and put those on.
    -Blew ISC Drivers, sent the ECU out for repair (Thanks ECMTuning!).

To-Do's:
    -Decided to go away from the slim fans, either a downfire 20g or modifying a stock fan shroud to fit it.
    -Find OEM looking coolant overflow that will fit in somewhere nice
    -New TB elbow with SD on bottom (hidden)

Fried drivers (107&105)
    535364-d4f1188ec3df3ca29d7a394ec7d43fde.jpg
    Allllllllmost stock looking
    535362-c8d95ce2ff0e6067b0ad70721e3b5544.jpg
    Sitting awkardly high on the Evo wheels, considering going smaller or possibly doing some shocks/sway bars.
    535363-41f3acf791b1eeeaba0978b6088dd2b3.jpg

Attached Files:

236  14

awd · manual · 1G DSM
  23. boostdawd

boostdawd Supporting Member

Joined Apr 6, 2010
    phoenix, Arizona
    Nice find man. That car is gorgeous.

Street Build 574  1

1997 Eagle Talon TSi AWD