The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

2G Shell swap Spyder GS to GST?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drverdugo10

Probationary Member
Aug 6, 2021
Illinois
I have a 97 spyder gs and the floor pans are rusted. I was wondering if I can swap shells with a 2g gst. The floor pans on my 97 spyder are rusted and I honestly don’t like convertibles

You would need to find a gs or rs shell. your spyder gs is non turbo and the motor and harness is different from turbo to turbo.

Maybe you could buy the gst shell then get a motor and build another car and sell your spyder.

You would need to find a gs or rs shell. your spyder gs is non turbo and the motor and harness is different from turbo to turbo.
That's not helpful unless it's a Spyder. Remember that the convertibles had the Mitsu 2.4 4g64 and the hardtops had the Chrysler 2.0 420a. Completely different mounting locations and wiring harness. Also the GS was the lowest trim convertible, RS only came hardtop.

I have a 1997 eclipse spyder gs and the floor pans are rusted and i was wondering if i could swap the body and put it in a 1996 eclipse rs.

Unfortunately, you wouldn't be able to swap into a non-turbo non-convertible top car as the engine mounts are reversed. The 2g spyder uses the same orientation as the 4g63t engines in the gst/gsx. You'd need to find another spyder shell or gst/gsx to swap into.

I have a 97 eclipse gs spyder and i was wondering what shell could i swap it into? i want to convert it into a hardtop.

So let me get this right. You have a 97 eclipse spyder gs and you want to swap it into a hard top? You have asked the same question on this post three times and given three answers ... Tell us....what part don't you understand... Obviously, the convertible will have a different frame than a hardtop. Not trying to give you a hard time but your post is becoming repetitive...

I'm gonna jump in here. The original post says he has a gst hardtop shell. I saw several comments on how he can't use a gs but needs a gst etc. Well...he says he has a gst so what's the problem?
Yes a gs spyder motor will physically bolt Into a gst shell. You will have a bunch of wiring differences including the ecu. You also have trans differences.

I’ve just heard different people tell me that i need a gs/rs shell others have said i need a gsx/gst shell so I’m just confused on which one.

I found a gst but seller says it doesnt have ecu and has no wiring harness he parted the gst out so i would need to find more parts. But I also found a 96 rs for sale and i was thinking of just swapping the engine, it has everything so i thought it would be easier but people have told me i can’t because of the different engines.

I thought the gs spider had a 420a engine but some are saying its a 4g64 engine. As you can see i know nothing about Eclipses i am still learning about them, its been my dream car for the longest.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just don’t like convertibles because I would need to buy new motors, new top, new seals everything so id jus want to have a hardtop

I hate to be this guy but I'd just buy a gst or even a gs if you don't like convertibles. I'm swapping a gst front clip on to my non turbo car right now and it's a fat load of work. I would of been better off finding a gst or gsx but I have literally everything to do the swap so that's why I did it. If you don't have the tools or willingness I wouldn't try it because then you'll have two cut up cars that aren't any good. That's just what I think since I'm going down this road right now. You can check out my build and see for yourself.

I’ve just heard different people tell me that i need a gs/rs shell others have said i need a gsx/gst shell so I’m just confused on which one. I found a gst but seller says it doesnt have ecu and has no wiring harness he parted the gst out so i would need to find more parts But I also found a 96 rs for sale and i was thinking of just swapping the engine, it has everything so i thought it would be easier but people have told me i can’t because of the different engines. I thought the gs spider had a 420a engine but some are saying its a 4g64 engine. As you can see i know nothing about eclipses i am still learning about them, its been my dream car for the longest.
The spyder does not have a 420a. It has a Mitsubishi 4g64 oriented just like the 4g63. If you're talking about putting your drivetrain into a hardtop shell it needs to be a gst.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back