The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Sheetmetal interior update and cleaning

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nate_dogg

15+ Year Contributor
Jun 2, 2006
Wichita, Kansas
Since I have been laid off for about 4 months now, I thought this would be a good time to redo my interior, seeing that I have more free time than I know what to do with LOL. Here are some pics of the sheet metal work and carpeting. Thanks for looking. Nathan

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

nice work hopefully it does not rattle.

wow that does look great good job man!

Whoa! Thanks for the idea. I really like it. I've seen sheet metal interiors before, but this is nice.

I'd rock that for sure.I always wanted to take out all the stuff in the rear but I think it looks bad.Yours looks like it should be from the factory.Wish I had the time to do this.:thumb:

Question why don't you take off the sound crap off the floor thats 25 pounds?
And too me it looks there is nothing protecting the seat belts from the sheet metal under the carpet?Maybe put something around the edge so not too cut the seat belts.like rubber or something.Just a heads up,don't want too see you get hurt. LOOKS AWESOME THOU great work.:thumb:I'm laid off too,and all my back is already out,guess what I'm going too do this weekend?LOL

Looks very nice! Great job!

Question why don't you take off the sound crap off the floor thats 25 pounds?
And too me it looks there is nothing protecting the seat belts from the sheet metal under the carpet?Maybe put something around the edge so not too cut the seat belts.like rubber or something.Just a heads up,don't want too see you get hurt. LOOKS AWESOME THOU great work.:thumb:I'm laid off too,and all my back is already out,guess what I'm going too do this weekend?LOL

That is a good point, I should take out the sound deadening mat crap, and for the belts and the sheet metal I made the cutout big enough so the belts will not rub at high tension and I do have metal reinforced vinyl trim around the cutouts as well, that crimps on. Thanks a lot.

That look incredible. very nice job.

Wow!!
that looks really good. better than i expected it would. Now i really have to go and even just get some carpet to cover up my removed back seat.. i really dig the hinge to the spare tire area good call. much better than having to unbolt everything.

hey man, not to preach, its your car and you'll do what you want. But those seat belts, with out a roll bar and the way you have them attached could kill ya. I was driving a borrowed car doing the speed limit down the turnpike when a lower control arm failed and It went right into the median then flipped/ rolled for a bit & the roof came down, I ended up in the trama unit for a week. If i were wearing the seat belts you have installed on your car & the way you have them set up, i wouldn't be posting on here. no chance at all. like I said its your car, do your thing. I'm just trying to help a fellow DSMer out, you dont even have to be doing something stupid to get killed by a mod like that, just around stupid people or have stupid luck.

Wow!!
that looks really good. better than i expected it would. Now i really have to go and even just get some carpet to cover up my removed back seat.. i really dig the hinge to the spare tire area good call. much better than having to unbolt everything.

hey man, not to preach, its your car and you'll do what you want. But those seat belts, with out a roll bar and the way you have them attached could kill ya. I was driving a borrowed car doing the speed limit down the turnpike when a lower control arm failed and It went right into the median then flipped/ rolled for a bit & the roof came down, I ended up in the trama unit for a week. If i were wearing the seat belts you have installed on your car & the way you have them set up, i wouldn't be posting on here. no chance at all. like I said its your car, do your thing. I'm just trying to help a fellow DSMer out, you dont even have to be doing something stupid to get killed by a mod like that, just around stupid people or have stupid luck.

Thanks for the props for the interior, and I totally understand what you are saying about the seat belts, after getting the interior all done and taking the car out for a drive with those seat belts I soon realized the seats and the seat belts are not a good design, the only reason I used them was because I have another talon with a 6 point cage that I am trying to sell and I took the seats and the belts out of that car. I have already found better seats and real 5 point belts to replace this setup, but I really do appreciate the heads up on this.

Very nice work! How did you attach the fabric to the sheetmetal?

Looks great, Im pretty picky on my dsm's and looking at that and how clean it looks makes me want to do something similar!

Very nice work! How did you attach the fabric to the sheetmetal?

Thanks again for everyones positive feed back, To get the vinyl to stick to the aluminum I first sanded the aluminum with 80 grit and wiped it clean with break clean, then i had to do some experimenting on the procedure of attaching and different types of glues, we ended up using a adhesive mainly used for counter tops, the sheer strength was awesome but it still lets go of the aluminum, then i switched to a 3M adhesive, it held up better but it is still slowly letting go of the aluminum. I am still watching how its holding up, it looks like its going to stay for the time being, if not i will need to find a better glue and reattach it.

Looks good, I couldn't get rid of my back seat tho. but I am ditching that hump in the trunk. and I'm gonna make my own sheet metal floor that is completely flat so I can use 1G FWD Carpet. I hate that hump.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back