The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Sharkquest!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Can't really help you on the oil pump, maybe return the dnj one and get an orbit pump at the least? Or see if you can get the stock straight gears from STM/JNZ or MAP.

I remember them ol' 7m days trying to fit the ARPs and BBC valve springs into mine, haha.

The Supra reminds me of mortal combat 2, a-la SNES, "whoopsie!".

Tar on the tire, go figure! Best one is snow in the rim or water in the tire during winter. Freezes, causes horrendous vibes, then melts and actually smoothes out completely by the time the customer gets to a tires shop, haha. Seen that a couple times working for Sears Auto back in the day.

Keep it up! Like that you're busting it out and keeping updated flowing in :thumb:

Thanks for the positive comments! Ah and I remember playing MK3 Ultimate on the genesis, good times man...

Alright, got the oil pump figured out. It turns out that the pump doesn't like to rotate without proper support, that is all it was.

I LIGHTLY rtv'd the oil pump plate, and set the bolts to 12 ftlbs, with loctite. I'm not a fan of paper gaskets and mine was pre-bent for me (stupid packaging). Royal purple assembly lube is inside of the pump for priming/initial startup.
IMG_20190616_122147544[1].jpg

Then I did the same to the front case, I think that' what it's called, and set the bolts at 15 ftlbs with loctite again. I had to reuse one or 2 bolts unfortunately.

IMG_20190616_155008928_HDR[1].jpg

Oh I ran into this interesting problem, the MM oil pump drive gear is about 1cm too short for the timing belt! Luckily i know a guy about 30 minutes away with plenty of parts.

IMG_20190616_123918197[1].jpg

With the correct drive gear and some other parts in place I ended up with the engine like this

IMG_20190616_172659051[1].jpg

It must look a bit disconcerting to you transverse guys to see the front motor mount chopped off and the oil filter going the wrong way LOL

Ah one last thing, it seems the Kiggly crank trigger holder thing is hitting the t-belt tensioner?!:idontknow:

IMG_20190616_173348348[1].jpg

I trial fit the Kiggly 12-tooth, and it uh doesn't want to go onto the crank snout. Do I need a press or something? And I still need to cut off one of the teeth, ugh. If there's any of you guys with MS2 knowledge that would be super helpful. I may just have to go to an MS2 forum for this. I am pretty sure I need to remove the tooth that's before the TDC mark, but not 100%.I can adjust the trigger offset in MS, I just know you don't want the tooth that missing to be located at the TDC.

Oh if you guys see anything obviously wrong/upside down, let me know! :p

Very interesting idea with that RTV on the front case, I've always seen/used a paper gasket there. Also I haven't seen a gasket/rtv used for the oil pump gears cover like you did, usually those just bolt together without a gasket. Don't forget to put your castle plug in behind the oil pump sprocket.

Very interesting idea with that RTV on the front case, I've always seen/used a paper gasket there. Also I haven't seen a gasket/rtv used for the oil pump gears cover like you did, usually those just bolt together without a gasket. Don't forget to put your castle plug in behind the oil pump sprocket.

After seeing that it worries me a little bit. At most I'd want to see mitsu-bond or another anaerobic sealant used. If any of that rtv gets into the pump gears, it'll be bad news.

As for the front case + rtv, same thing to a slightly lesser degree. The paper gaskets work very well, especially with copper spray applied.

Hmm, I was thinking about the pump gears as I was putting it together. I've always used a thin layer of RTV with paper gaskets to hold them in place. Of course only on one side so that they're easy to remove later. Everything on the Rotary was done this way, with paper and RTV, and it was ok, then again this isn't a rotary. I may just pull it apart, to check what's gone on, and allay any fears.

My chunk of aluminum showed up! Working on the actual method of boring it out now. My hole saw is only 2-3 inches deep, but I think that will be enough. Maybe not, if so I need to find some sort of cutting tool that isn't depth limited, kinda like a tool used to bore cylinders.

I ordered a steel -10 bung I'm going to weld into the oil pan, so I'll have an oil drain. It looks like the stock location is near the rear of the engine?

Yea I'd at least check the pump gears to make sure no rtv got in there. Usually you'll see paper gaskets or mitsu-bond for the front case, I don't recall ever seeing any form of gasket or sealer on the oil pump (or any other oil pump for that matter) since it messes with the clearance of the gear-to-pump body, affecting longevity and pressure building capabilities.

Either way can't be to careful to check.

The stock drain is actually in the front on 4gs, the MM probably has a rear sump like a 22re so I'd assume it's in the rear.

Forgot, what's the chunk of alloy for?

By front, you mean towards the cam gears? The MM pan has the deepest part towards the gears, which in my case is the front. I assume this was so Mitsu wouldn't have to make different pans for the longitudinal engines vs transverse.

The alloy is for the water outlet at the back of the head. I just need to cut some big holes in it! Probably this weekend, as this week I'm building the turbo supports for the Supra, and doing some wiring on it as well.

By front, you mean towards the cam gears? The MM pan has the deepest part towards the gears, which in my case is the front. I assume this was so Mitsu wouldn't have to make different pans for the longitudinal engines vs transverse.

The alloy is for the water outlet at the back of the head. I just need to cut some big holes in it! Probably this weekend, as this week I'm building the turbo supports for the Supra, and doing some wiring on it as well.

Yes this is the same or at least similar to DSM pans, which would be a front sump, closest to the cam gears.

Ah that's right, good luck with the fabbing!!

Sorry for the delay, I've been working on and off on this car, as well as the Supra, weather and time permitting.

Here's the 1/2 way done water block, the black stuff is paint I used to make a mark on the block as to where the stud was going to go through:
IMG_20190623_182724958[1].jpg

There's 4 holes because I forgot that the water outlet was basically mirrored to what I was trying to do. It's a bit hard to explain, but you'd get it if you saw it. So I needed to make a new hole to line everything up. Interestingly the 45 degree angle actually helps me as it aims the outlet at the frame rail and away from the intake, without needing any fancy stuff now.

I've also got the crank trigger figured out as well. But it was a nightmare getting it onto the snout! I measured the snout and it came out to 32.2 mm. Isn't it supposed to be 32? Anyway, I measured the Kiggly piece and it came out to 31.98 or so. Obviously we have a problem. I had to sue a puller to get the wheel off the snout after i attempted to push it on, gently! So after about an hour of carefully sanding, and measuring, it fits easily. Now I just need to find a woodruff key, I lost mine somewhere along the line. I also need the dang plug for the back of the head that blocks the Cam position sensor, the parts stores are clueless...

Oh and any recommendations on the Crank sensor brand? I didn't want to give Kiggly $80 for one, unless there's a good reason.

Regarding the trigger itself, all I need to do is to remove the tooth that's 90 degrees before the TDC. By before I mean in the clockwise direction, so that the engine sees a missing tooth and then hits TDC 90 degrees later. I can configure it better and closer inside of Tuner Studio, once I have it hooked up. This will let me run a simple batch fire/ignition system. No real big loss of power, just slightly worse emission at idle/less that 2k rpm. From what I read after 2k, most engine are basically squirting the injectors in batch mode anyway.

Is there any good reason you guys know of to move the oil drain back hole somewhere else on the pan? I figure most turbo manifolds for this engine will have the stock location in mind when placing their turbo. I just don't want to end up having one too low or far away for the drain to easily reach.

Ah one last thing, I'm going to need to bake my large water block, so that it's closer in temperature to the outlet I'm trying to weld on. the huge difference in mass makes the outlet piece melt quicker than the block, obviously ruining the weld. Once it cools off outside a bit, I'll fire up the oven. Probably this weekend.

IMG_20190624_191819746_HDR[1].jpg

I'd love to see this thing I person once done, gonna be cool! There's actually a conquest for sale close to me I'm contemplating picking up... Lol.

I don't have alot of help on the other stuff, the cranks sensors/triggers are still a bit out of my wheels house when doing custom.

Keep it up!

Thanks for the kind words guys. Figured it was time for more updates, I won't be sleeping tonight.

So I've made a good bit of progress, I know it seems slow, but I'm trying LOL.

I had a bit of a problem fitting the Kiggly wheel and the ATI damper hub. Both of them required some grinding/machining to fit the crank snout properly. A couple of hours ofheating, test fitting and then sanding eventually resulted in the hub and trigger fitting correctly.

IMG_20190704_124313335[1].jpg

The red marks on teh trigger were my way of visualizing which tooth needed to be cut off. It was a bit nerve wracking cutting into a $200 trigger wheel! But I'm pretty sure I've got it figured out. The tooth I cut is 90 degrees before the tooth that the senso would be on when the engine is at TDC. It makes more sense if you see it in person.

Here's the wheel in a vise, just after I cut the tooth off:

IMG_20190704_131652086[1].jpg

As you can see, I've also got the oil pan painted, the oil bung welded in, and pan straightened in installed. I filled the pan with 5 quarts of water, and made sure that the bung location was above the fluid level. Pretty proud of how the weld turned out this time!

IMG_20190630_122431563[1].jpg

IMG_20190630_153518300[1].jpg

So This is a photo of how things sit right now, minus the front cover plastic thing, that I trimmed to clear the water outlet. Looks like I'll need to trim it some more to clear the ATI damper pulley hub as well.

IMG_20190704_210911161[1].jpg

I got the motor mounts installed, and I think I'll try to get the engine in the car tomorrow.

My hydroboost unit showed up yesterday. So far I can see it will need new holes drilled in the firewall, and some thought as to hot to hook it to the pedal. But it looks like it will fit. I may cut the reservoir in half vertically, it's gigantic! Oh and of course I need to buy parts to make it work, stupid thing didn't come with the return spring, nor the rod that connects the hydroboost to the cylinder. it says to reuse the old ones...sigh.

IMG_20190703_173213987[1].jpg

Here's a rough of what it looks like in the car

IMG_20190703_174750514[1].jpg

I talked to my buddy at work, who's a pro welder. He said it would be easier to simply thread the -16 nipple into that Aluminum block, there's too much mass for my machine. I don't have a threaded variant of the -16, but I do have JB weld. I'll try that, and if it fails, I'll order a nipple with threads. I hate to use epoxy, but it's a low stress environment, so I think it will do ok?

Ah one last thing, I noticed I have a spare 1.5cm or so washer that came with my oil pump. I don't understand where it goes? I figured the rubber gasket goes behind the castle-nut thing that covers the oil pump, but this washer, I have no idea!

Everything looking good!

As far as epoxy on the water outlet, eh it might work it might not. Personally I'd just get a 90* fitting with a threaded back, or farm the welding out to a shop maybe? I guess give it a try with the JB and if it blows, then as long as you can get to it, no biggy.

Engine looks great!

Well it's the end of a long weekend. I uh mostly worked on the Mitsu, as well as the Supra. I think there was something about fireworks, maybe?

The brake booster situation took me about 2 days and 3 iterations to figure out. Turns out simple angle iron was the best solution. I had to dent the shock tower a little to clear the accumulator, but I think it will be fine. It's not a show car.

IMG_20190707_172101204[1].jpg

It's all painted black now and is sitting in the garage drying. The nuts are welded on, acting as studs in this application. Welding in that tight space was giving me fits, it didn't help that the paint on the opposite side was baking, and causing the weld to pop randomly. I'll post some pics of the final product when it's done. The whole thing had to rotate 90 degrees and be spaced 1.5 inches of the firewall, so that the booster pushrod was in the ballpark of where my pedal assembly is located. The pushrod will need to be cut off and a heim threaded on for both adjust ability, and attaching it. Of course I'm not sure now if any of this will clear the factory intake. But hey, there's a ton of good aftermarket ones out there for the 4g6x series.

Here's the water outlet thing, in all it's jb weld glory. It's epoxied on the inside, and on the mating surface as well as the outside.

IMG_20190705_142318190[1].jpg

It'll need to be cut down more, maybe thinner as well. I just need to fix my bandsaw so that it will cut straight!

More pics of installed booster tomorrow! I think I'm going to run braided stainless instead of the factory lines, at least in the engine bay, you'll see why later.

Engine is in the car, along with the first coolant hose. I learned a ton about gas coverage and welding aluminum. I may redo some of the welds...but if they hold, they hold.

IMG_20190721_162256326_HDR[1].jpg

I figured out the hydroboost mounting, but just need some M10x1.5 JIS buts to hold it to the firewall. There's no room for DIN/ISO nuts! I alos simply cut off the pedal rod from the old vac booster, and welded it onto the end of the hydro. Viola, adjustable Mitsubishi-brand hydroboost!

IMG_20190713_205304016[1].jpg

This is what the Master and booster look like mounted:
IMG_20190708_193337851[1].jpg

The ports a the 9 o'clock position are the reservoir ports, no threads, just rubber. Do you guys think they'd hold with simple barb fittings stuck into them, leading to a 90 and some AN line? Remember there's very little pressure on the reservoir side, just residual. The factory used some roll pins and the giant plastic blob to hold fluid. My reservoir is going to be remote, like the stock Starion. The top fittigns are going to be metric to AN banjo fittings, to braided AN-3 and split front/rear, with an adjustable prop valve. Also, Starion is apparently a typo on this site LOL.

I think I'm going to go with Spec's Stage 3+ clutch and a Fidanza flywheel. It's not rated at more than 470 Ftlbs, but I don't want something crazy and undriveable for a street car. if it ends up slipping...well then I'll grab a 6-puck ACT rated at 600.

I don't have any good pictures, but the accessory brackets and timing cover back plates (Not sure what they're called) are all shiny and black now. I even went so far as to smooth all the casting flaws off before painting.

So what's left? Well, the Turbo, the Clutch and flywheel installation, ECU, Fuel Pump and lines and filter, fab the intake manifold ( only have 7 inches clearance) AC maybe, and reassemble the rest of the dash. Oh and the brake fluid reservoir, and the intercooler piping...ok that's way too much stuff.

I've got around 17 inches between the strut tower and the head, how large is the typical DSM exhaust setup? I wonder if I can just buy an off the shelf part? Oh and I don't have to worry about the water pipe, as I'm not using that.

Looking good, I like the hydroboost! I may need to do one for my pickup project, so I'll prolly be asking you some questions if I need to get one :thumb:

The spec clutch should be ok for the start, I'm using a 3 for my yota project, and my buddy has a 2+ dual friction in his F150, it's a little aggressive but it holds great! If you have to change might wanna check out South bend.

As for space, 17" sounds like plenty depending on what you are going to run, I want to say from head flange to radiator on a 1g is around 14-15" and has fans to deal with, so you should be fine.

Good work man.

I may have missed it, but it looks like you are going to be pushing coolant from the bottom of the radiator up through it and then into the block? Or are you reversing the flow of the coolant through the motor and instead of pushing it though the front of the block you are going to push it through the back of the head? I've never seen an external pump setup before, so I don't know what the norm is.

I just cut up a 1g dsm manifold tonight, and this is the result:
IMG_20190725_175959871[1].jpg

I will have clearance to just about everything, with a 3 inch plenum welded on the end. I'd like to go 4 inch, but that would require cutting the manifold back another 2 inches, to the EGR passage, to make clearance with the steering box work. I would like to actually keep the EGR, in case someone looks for it at emissions. not that I think they really know what they're looking at in this case though.

I think I'll be running coolant out of the block, through the radiator, and into the head, ensuring the head stays coolest. I read it's the hottest part of the engine, and has the most tendency to crack or warp, so it makes sense in my mind to send the coolest water there first. I can always just flip the pump around, to go the other way, which is awesome!

Regarding the hydroboost, if you can, grab parts at the junkyard first! The kits don't include the pushrod thing that goes between the booster and the master! Nor do they include some sort of washer whose name escapes me at the moment. I'll have to order mine from somewhere. As soon as hydroboost stuff hits the yard, it's gone.

I'll have to look at Southbend. If/when this thing ever runs...sigh. My Spec clutch and Fidanza flywheel are arriving tomorrow, probably! I cleaned up the trans a bit in preparation, but I don't think I'll be doing a full rebuild, mostly due to the lack of parts for this type of trans. The OEM shims, for setting endplay/shaft play are NLA from anyone...damn. On the plus side, I just located a Mazda B2600, the one iwth the bellhousing I need being parted out. This housing, will allow me to bolt a RX7 trans to my motor! So the super tough Turbo II trans can be mine! No more worries about trans strength, nor parts availability. Of course this will require custom mounts, and I think driveshaft lengthening, maybe.

Speaking of mounts, these mounts are terrible! It's lik cadillac designed them, they're so floppy I'm afraid the engine will spin in circles if started. The trans mount is the same! Time for custom mounts I think.

I learned something interesting yesterday will experimenting with my TIG machine. Aluminum requires really good gas coverage! That's the major trick I was missing. I ordered some gas lenses for my torch and threw down some half decent beads this afternoon easy as pie.

IMG_20190725_181106832[1].jpg

The Ugly blobs were with bad coverage, the nicer stuff is with coverage. Such a small change, with a major result makes me happy!

Do any of you guys know about AN-3 brake fittings, it's making me crazy sorting it all out.

I scienced out the manifold today. It's going to be a 1/2 circle, i.e. hemispherical, because it saves space, and makes an easy mounting situation.

I started off with this cast/spun aluminum cylinder I picked up for scrap value;
IMG_20190726_145848403_HDR[1].jpg

It's 6 inches in diameter, too big, hits the steering box! So we're going to fix that.

IMG_20190726_172834403[1].jpg

And even with it reduced by 2 inches, it's still too big, so I trimmed down the manifold some more:

IMG_20190726_162213330[1].jpg

No more EGR, oh well. After some careful application of 80 grit paper, I ended up with this:

IMG_20190726_165324374_HDR[1].jpg

Not perfect, but close enough. Next I removed the end part of the tank, because I really didn't like the way it was shaped, nor have an easy way to seal it.

IMG_20190726_173833440_HDR[1].jpg

In order to have enough clearance for the throttle body, I needed to put an angle on the whole thing. I started cutting a 45 on the bandsaw, only to find out the throat isn't deep enough for a 6 inch object! OK that sounded odd... Anyway. I had to hand cut the last 2 inches or so, but it will still work out fine I think. I cut much of this by hand and it's been 'close enough' so far. We'll see when it comes time to weld it all up!

Here's the mockup in the car:

IMG_20190726_182056317_HDR[1].jpg

So that's where it's all at now. I'll update tomorrow after trying to weld some things.

Oh and this guy showed up!

IMG_20190726_135046149[1].jpg

No clutch yet it's 'shipping from manufacture' ugh.

Ok so the manifold looked like a great idea, until I realized it wouldn't really fit, not with studs in the head! And it was still crowding the brake booster. I did have fun making and welding it up though.

IMG_20190727_172950690_HDR[1].jpg

Getting better at this Aluminum thing. Anyway, onto plan B, I've ordered some prebent 2.25 inch 90's. They'er going to aim roughly straight down, and hit a 3.5 inch plenum. Lots of room down there, rather than up or out like my own or the stock manifolds. the 2.25 inch was chosen because if you oval it in a vise, it mates pretty well to the stock opening in the bigport head. I also ordered some 90's for the intercooler, and couplings.

IMG_20190727_192932635[1].jpg

Oh and the pressure plate showed up, and I've ordered some ARP bolts for the flywheel too. So many parts...ugh.

This is a 2.25 inch pipe I put in the press, it comes out like this:

IMG_20190804_142836384_HDR[1].jpg

It's not perfect, but pretty damn close to the shape needed for the 1g manifold
IMG_20190804_142846816_HDR[1].jpg

Fill the gaps with weld, and then dremel smooth the excess material/overlap. It's basically going to 90 right out of the head downward, and then hit the plenum wich will be located roughly where the AC compressor would be in a Talon/DSM install. I might try to mount the AC above the plenum with some sort of mount, if it looks feasible.

Oh and this is the thinned water distribution plate for the back of the head. it's about 4 cm now, and fits much better.

IMG_20190804_184426581[1].jpg

I spent the whole weekend trying to fix the brakes on my dad's Tundra. Stripped a couple fittings somehow. Thank Bahamut that the Mitsubishi fittings from 1988 are better engineered than a 2006 toyota...

Anyway, this weekend I should be able to start cutting and welding this intake up.

Oh wow, meant to post some updates earlier, but I've been busy trying to help my dad out and progress has been slow.

So this is what the plenum will look like, and its rough position:
IMG_20190815_175508013[1].jpg

Here's the same plenum after I realized I needed 2 pieces at 30 degrees, rather than 1 large piece at 60...oops.
IMG_20190818_152050828_HDR[1].jpg

I went and cleaned those welds up, filled all the pinholes. It wasn't an easy task, welding round stuff is hard! Oh and those AN fittings are the solution I figured out, instead of the rubber gaskets for the brake master.

Speaking of which, this is the reservoir setup I figured out. It uses a Walbro fuel pump bracket and some clutch reservoirs that are for bikes. It holds 1.5 times the fluid the factory master reservoir did.
IMG_20190822_174002330_HDR[1].jpg

I found out the crankshaft is supposed to have a dowel in, which for some reason wasn't included with mine...what do you want for $300...? But the trans and flywheel assembly should be going in next weekend. That will allow me to get some more measurements figured out, and make the DOM urethane mounts rather than the squishy ones that are in there now.

I'm not dead! Just been busy. Did a bunch of stuff.

I've finished the brake reservoir system, and am waiting on the -3 AN line to start plumbing that . Oh and a prop valve, as I don't think the stocker will work.
IMG_20190901_121331562_HDR[1].jpg

I also go the pressureplate, clutch and flywheel installed. It was a bit tricky doing it in-car, but it's done! I forgot the input shaft bearing, had to pull the flywheel, clean it and reinstall! Torques the flywheel to 96 ftlbs per Fidanza, and the pressureplate to 16.

IMG_20190901_145624936[1].jpg

I built this bracket to hold the water pump, and flipped and redrilled the water block I built earlier.

IMG_20190904_183533362_HDR[1].jpg

The cooling system is 'done', at least the pipe/fluid part. I still need to find some fans, and locations for a temp sensor to turn them on. the pump is going to run full time, just like a stock mechanical one to prevent hot-spotting.

IMG_20190907_161910287[1].jpg

Speaking of which, I need some professional advise, as you can see I'm using the 2nd gen Power steering pump, and bracket. It doesn't line up a to all with my pulley?! Is that due to using a 1g block bracket? Do I need to find one off a 2g? I read up on 7 bolt to 6 bolt swaps, as I feel that would be similar, and this doesn't seem to be a problem in their case?

I also started welding up the manifold. Those are 3.5 inch runners, probably too short, but they're what will work clearance wise. I may do a 180 of this and go find some nice 30/45 degree runners but I'm not sure. I really could use a d-shaped plenum, as that will make attaching the pipes much easier. Any ideas where I can find one? All the ebay guys want something like $4/inch!

IMG_20190908_175830932_HDR[1].jpg

Yes I know the welds look crappy, sorry. Yes it's a little warped, but I can heat and bent it flat I think. But they're sealed! I was getting carbon contamination from the manifold itself. Really hard to get all of it out. And I'm still figuring how to get the heat levels and travel speed balanced in this situation. Welding with my left instead of right hand is tricky too! Worst case I'll spend the $ on a Magnus or something...but hey for the $50 I've invested I'm not into it too much.

Oh I also got the turbo, and manifold ordered! Will post picks when they show up, Tuesday probably? Lastly, do the DSM's use a small pin/spring to hold the clutch fork to the TOB? Mine are shot, and I can't put the TOB in, without them! They're 'NLA' everywhere I look. Once I figure that out, I can put the trans in!

Ah wow, it's been a while. Again, sorry.

I ditched the whole sheetmetal intake and Hydroboost idea..for now. I'd rather just get the dam car running!

So I bught a 1g dsm style manifold from CXracing. The welds look ok, and the flange thing is thick, so that's good. Unfortunately, the turbo doesn't fit. Yeah that's my fault. I didn't realize the manifold was so far to the rear of the car. There's no way I could fit the downpipe. Not to mention the turbo was hitting the runners. Oops.

IMG_20190909_161440788[1].jpg

So what do I do? make my own upmount manifold! First I cut off the runners. Yeah I was really nervous, but what else could I do? For the cost of this manifold I could afford to buy 3 before it would match the cost of having one fabbed.

IMG_20190914_144906413_HDR[1].jpg

I then ground it all ff flush, and welded it back on, but 180 degrees out. Yeah I used Stainless Filler rod, 309 if memory serves. I got some help at the welding shop, so I know I was using the right rod.

IMG_20190914_172451306_HDR[1].jpg

It was really hard getting between the runners 1-2 and 2-3 because of the support rods. I figure they put them in last, when the welded it up in Taiwan or wherever. Speaking of which I still need to grind out the inside of the runners to match the ports, considering they didn't port match at all! I figures worst case the miss-match will prevent reversion into the port?

Here's what it looks like mounted.

IMG_20190918_170043105_HDR[1].jpg

I also found out my head has had exhaust studs replaced, in American of course...and one of them had pulled out, as you can see at the very front of the engine. They didn't drill deep enough for proper helicoil engagement! Oh and you can see the intake, and exactly how messed up it would be to try to put a throttle body on it in its current position. More on that later.

Here's the Turbo mounted! As you can see there's a problem...

IMG_20190919_164220958_HDR[1].jpg

that's even after a 1-inch spacer between the turbo and the collector to make it fit the runners. So how did I fix it? Well I ground/polished a tiny bit of the turbo housing off. Looks much shinier now. And I gut an 1/8th inch slope into the spaces so it angles the turbo away from the engine. I've got about a mm of clearance now, so I think I'll cut a bit more slope, there's enough wiggle room in the hot side flange to allow it I think.

This is an in-progress shot of the spacer modification.

IMG_20190920_170446215[1].jpg

It's a bit hard to tell but there's a slope there. It's not perfect, but I'm pretty sure an 1/8th inch gasket will take up any missmatch.

Oh I also moved the booster directly to the firewall, cleaned and painted it to match the engine block. This was done to give more clearance to the manifold, as well as aesthetics. This is a Before pic.

IMG_20190918_154624590_HDR[1].jpg

More pictures are coming tomorrow.

But for now, I'm stuck figuring out how to get the AN-8 ORB radium FPR to mount to the AN-10 ORB JMF fabrication fuel rail. Any ideas? it seems there's no such thing as ORB female adapters? Oh and I got in my FIC 2150 Injectors. And the -8 Fuel filter. Need to order line still. Hmm, also going to pick up some RX7 parts Sunday, you'll see why later.

I guess it's not tomorrow is it? Anyway, Progress. I thought I had the Clutch TOB clips thing figured out, i was wrong. I contracted 3SX, and they claimed to have them, and were ready to accept payment, until radio silence, I'm not sure what happened. But there's no response from their sales/manager guy. So I still can't mount the damn transmission.

I did manage to find the 1995/1996 cam plug thing that goes into the whole left by the Cam Position sensor moving to the front of the head. When I get it, I'll post the part number, It's damn near impossible to find these. None of the cam cover gasket kits include it, and the parts counter guys have no idea either. EDIT: Just the cam plug got it in today, it's part MD184946 for anyone else who needs one!

I also picked up a 60 gallon 15 scfm at 90 psi air compressor. It needs a few parts, but should be able to sandblast stuff now, as well as run any air tools I want. Finally.

The lower part of my bumper was trashed, all very thin rust holing the bumper plastic and foam on. I think the foam trapped water and that's what caused the rust. Very tricky to weld new metal too as it would constantly melt under the torch
IMG_20191006_114428911_HDR[1].jpg

1/2 way done. Paint and some more welding on that thin/missing section came later of course. Some reason I forgot to picture it.

IMG_20191006_145123284[1].jpg

Cut pieces for the brackets to hold the oil cooler on top of bumper. The thin aluminum is the template.

IMG_20191011_163814350_HDR[1].jpg

All welded up.

IMG_20191011_170141586_HDR[1].jpg

In place on the bumper, ready for paint. Bumper also got some reinforcing, to replace some metal i cut out for the intercooler.

IMG_20191013_121348509[1].jpg

Photo of the oil cooler thermostat, and oil cooler mounted and lines run. The Nylon Braid form Summit is pretty easy to work with, I'd recommend it.

IMG_20191013_174601976_HDR[1].jpg

Just another view of the same system. Did I mention I like the Red?

IMG_20191013_174607194[1].jpg

More work on the Throttle body spacing/piping.

IMG_20191017_163945223_HDR[1].jpg

The plate I made, to mount the throttle body to. it will be welded to a short seciton off the manifold, so that the TB clears the fuel rail. So much better at welding Alu now. It's all about heat management.

IMG_20191017_171730423_HDR[1].jpg

Got the Saturn alt mounted. Does anyone know the correct part number of the Saturn pigtail? The parts guys are useless!

IMG_20191014_181255009[1].jpg

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back