The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

setting timing belt

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

93 gsx skidz

10+ Year Contributor
Sep 15, 2012
masontown, Pennsylvania
i have to replace my water pump im not sure if the car is in time or not due to it wont stay running. thats a whole other problem though. i dont know how to find top dead center. is there anything i do before removing the timing belt and what do i do when im ready to put it back on?

i have to replace my water pump im not sure if the car is in time or not due to it wont stay running. thats a whole other problem though. i dont know how to find top dead center. is there anything i do before removing the timing belt and what do i do when im ready to put it back on?

Just line up the timing marks, mark the belt with the cam, crank and oil pump pullies with whiteout. From there use a long bolt to remove the tension from the belt, pull the belt, replace the pump, reinstall the belt with the marks lines up that you drew with the whiteout and remove the tension bolt. If you don't know how long it has been since the belt, pullies and tensioner were replaced than it would be a real good idea to replace them.

what if i want to make sure its in time and i dont have the money to rent a timing light and im not sure its in time ### it will start but wont stay running for longer than maybe 3 seconds literally and everyone told me its the ecu but before i buy that i would like to make sure its in time i thought since i have to replace the water pump it would be a great opportunity to make sure the car is in time. someone told me in order to put it in time you have to make sure the #1 piston is in top dead center does that matter or do i just line up the timing marks that are on the cam, oil pump, and crank pulleys.

what if i want to make sure its in time and i dont have the money to rent a timing light and im not sure its in time ### it will start but wont stay running for longer than maybe 3 seconds literally and everyone told me its the ecu but before i buy that i would like to make sure its in time i thought since i have to replace the water pump it would be a great opportunity to make sure the car is in time. someone told me in order to put it in time you have to make sure the #1 piston is in top dead center does that matter or do i just line up the timing marks that are on the cam, oil pump, and crank pulleys.

Just line up the timing marks, there is no need for a timing light or to make sure that the number one piston is at tdc. You are going to have to remove the timing belt in order to remove the water pump.

Just line up the timing marks, there is no need for a timing light or to make sure that the number one piston is at tdc. You are going to have to remove the timing belt in order to remove the water pump.

+1

Also, swap that timing belt too! Belts themselves aren't too expensive, and you're gonna have it off anyway! Unless you're dead certain when the last belt was put on, and it was less than 30,000 mi or so, I'd just do the whole thing. I had to do my head gasket on my old N/T, and I did the timing belt at the same time, even though it didn't look like it needed replacement. It's better to just do it than to risk destroying then engine, especially if you're going to have it off for other work anyway.

There is two marks on the cam gears. Where the bolt is on the cam gears there should be a little notch like a half circle on them. Make sure they are facing upward or twelve o' clock. Along the teeth of the timing gears theres another notch on both gears make sure they are facing each other. Now at the bottom of the engine, the crankshaft pulley there will be a peice hanging off the timing belt cover with 10. 5. and T engraved on it. That pulley has a notch in it, make sure that notch is pointing toward the T. If all that checks out the car is in time.

remove Cylinder 1 spark plug and stick a long screw driver into the cylinder, making sure it won't fall down into the cylinder, then turn the motor over by hand with a 1/2 ratchet till the timing marks are lined up. The screwdriver will transmit the height of the piston to you. When the marks are all lined up; the screw driver should be at its highest point.

Timing Belt VFAQ (Timing Belt TSB - ENHANCED)

Last edited by a moderator:
well i replaced the water pump and made sure it was in time and i did a compression test and i only have 90 psi in the 1,3,and 4 cylinders and 0 psi in the number 2 cylinder what does this mean did i do something wrong

well i replaced the water pump and made sure it was in time and i did a compression test and i only have 90 psi in the 1,3,and 4 cylinders and 0 psi in the number 2 cylinder what does this mean did i do something wrong

You likely bent the valves by cranking the engine with it not in time.

Doesnt look good time to pull the head and view the carnage, i never had that happen before when timing mine, sucks depending on if you have a built head, to replace those upgraded valves, been there, good experience with dsms though.

i read thru the repair manual i have and it says to add a little oil thru the spark plug hole with the throttle wide open. so now the readings are 300+ in 3 and 4 and 210 psi in 1 and still at zero in the number 2. the car was running fine with no noises and no problems until i stopped to pull into my driveway and the car died and didnt run right since. i was letting it build a little boost but only in 2nd gear just to see if it would build because i had to replace the turbo now idk what to do is it the head or the rings or both.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back