The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support Rix Racing

Setting shims and preloads

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Calloflunacy

10+ Year Contributor
Nov 27, 2009
Puyallup, Washington
I have a technical question about the transmission that I hoping your expertise can help me with. I purchased the rebuild kit, EVO III input shaft, EVO III 1st gear, and a stock second gear from Jacks Transmissions and have been rebuilding my transmission on my own. My vehicle is a 1996 Eagle Talon TSI, AWD turbo, to be exact.

After taking the shafts all the way apart, using a 20 ton hydraulic bottle jack press from harbor freight, and replacing all the synchros, the previously mentioned shaft, gears, and tapered roller bearings/races. I am in the process of re-assembling the transmission, I have put the C-clips back on and made sure the gaps on the clips was set correctly per the manual I am working too. I have a gap of 0.005" between the C-clip and the bearing housing on my intermediate shaft and a gap of 0.001" between the C-clip and the bearing housing on my input shaft. I am currently trying to check and set the shims on my races for the input, intermediate, and output shafts.

The issue I am having is the gap, or rather lack of gap that I have on the intermediate shaft. with the shafts all in place, and the forks in, when I place the transmission case section containing the upper races and shims, it sits about 0.100" from the mating surface of the case section below it, I can put bolts in the holes and tighten it down enough to make that gap go away, but I cannot rotate the shafts by hand, from what I assume is too much pre-load. The intermediate shaft is the only one causing the binding, if I remove the upper race for the intermediate shaft and tighten down the casing, I can freely rotate the transmission and the end play for my input shaft and output shaft are great with the shims that I had in the transmission before I took it apart. I have tried removing the shim for the intermediate shaft and just putting in the upper race, and it still binds up. I have checked the bottom race/bearing and it is as far down as it will go, I have almost no clearance between my first gear and the case. The intermediate shaft is the same shaft that I removed from the transmission as I am intending on reusing it. I have tried to put the shaft back in the press and press the bearing on the top of the shaft down more, but it is on as far as it will go down (unless something magically got underneath it and is preventing the bearing from seating down correctly).

So my question is this, have you encountered this problem before when rebuilding DSM transmissions, are there any suggestions as to what is causing it? I did replace the first and second gears on the intermediate shaft, and the first gear is the EVO III gear, are they thicker than the stock gears (doesn't seem likely as I was still able to get the C-clip in). is there a difference between the different year transmissions for the upper bearing on the intermediate shaft? If you need any more information about what I have done, or if you want pictures let me know of what and I will attach them. Any advice, suggestions, or previous similar experiences would be greatly appreciated.

I'm not an expert on transmissions by any means, but I think you should try to get into contact with either Tim Zimmer (TMZ transmissions co.) or Turboglenn on here. I'm fairly certain they would know how to help. (Or I guess you could try looking at TREs website or try contacting them too) I hope this helps if you don't get any direct answers here.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back