The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

sequential shifter

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

radgsx

Probationary Member
Feb 13, 2003
riverside, California
Would ikeya formula sequential shifter for evo4-6 work on 2g. I know that mounting to the floor will require modifications, but would the mechanism it self work with 2G cable position and opposite transmission location.

I have wondered the same thing Ikeya Formula shifter. You still have to use the clutch though. Do you have to use the clutch in a real sequential trans. car?

I dont think that it will work isnt the evo 4 and later have the trans on the other side of the engine bay? I do know for a fact that sequishift will work RRE used to have one in thier 1G
It only costs 1300 Euro's. Couple that with magnus dog box, ignition cut and you wouldnt even have to use the clutch.

I would call Road Race Engineering, I believe they use a similar shifter on one of their Evo's. They would probably know if it's adaptable to a 2g.

Realizing this thread will be doing the turbo-whirl around the drain, I'll try to save everyone some electrons on their screens: No.
A truly sequential box shifts like a motorcycle, and once rolling needs no clutching. Trying this in a DSM gearbox will produce shrapnel.

Now, everyone have at it.

Realizing this thread will be doing the turbo-whirl around the drain, I'll try to save everyone some electrons on their screens: No.
A truly sequential box shifts like a motorcycle, and once rolling needs no clutching. Trying this in a DSM gearbox will produce shrapnel.

Now, everyone have at it.

This topic has been coming up since I became a member in 02. If people would just do a little research and relize what is out there. RRE has been using the seqshift for sometime, albins gear has been making dog gears for years now magnus makes em you get pretty close to a real sequential box in a dsm you would just have to figure out an ignition cut device that would work with out cars and shifter set up. we ran one on our shifter karts till they were outlawed, nothing more than a kill switch on a micro switch connected to a timer. but by the time all your costs are added up it seem sclose to 7k for a trans.

I don't think it's worth it unless you have a dogbox. I can shift as fast as I can depress the clutch.

Close, but no cigar. Nor sequential. But yes, close..... for the cost of two more cars.

I talked to a company that used to make WRC trans for the evo 3 and a real honest to goodness sequential for the DSM was 17K. best part was you could set it up for paddles behind the steering wheel. I sometimes think that if I wouldnt have gotten into drag racing a few years back with the TT v8 syclone my ultimate DSM would have been done by now and utilizing this gear box, making 600hp and would be flirting with sub 13 minutes at pikes peak.

I'll just have to be content with the bike and shifter kart for now.

On a side note just casue you seem like a guy that likes off the wall builds and cool stuff, I have a friend in boise (not a freind of a friend or I heard about this guy kinda story) We call him the leatherman he is very handy to have around with his kick ass fab skills. anyways back to the point he is building a Opel Manta using a skyline drivetrain and is about to begin or has begun an adapter plate for a true sequntial box to mate up with the skyline motor. I cant for the life of me remember what company makes the trans, we talked over so many options and he is in the mines right now. But it will be absolutely the sickest set up when he is done. He checked in to a holinger and some of the ones that being used now for the skyline but they are upwards of 12 to 20K.

The Ikeya sequential shifter is simply an add on that shifts through the first 4 gears without having to move through the H-pattern. You still have to use your clutch on every upshift and downshift. This is not a sequential transmission, but a sequential shifter for a standard transmission.

I could be wrong but if I remember right Ikeya use to make a evo 1-3 shifter and a evo4-up. I save the web page but this was a few years ago and I had just checked it 3 or 4 months ago and the page is no longer there.
Also I think that one of the benefits to this besides the faster shifting (some people can shift as fast) is that you have zero chance of doing the old 1-2-3-2 shift thing (throwing the tranny into second instead of fourth when you are at the top of third gear). I know of 3 people personally that have done this. And that could help save your tranny.

I do run a Magnus dogbox, and the only reason why I'm searching for sequential shifter is difficulty with shifting from 2nd to 3rd in standard H pattern. With this tranny it is very easy to miss a 2nd to 3rd (by shifting back into 1st) @10k . Believe me, after dozen of flying rockers and broken crank I am afraid to take a car out.

I do run a Magnus dogbox, and the only reason why I'm searching for sequential shifter is difficulty with shifting from 2nd to 3rd in standard H pattern. With this tranny it is very easy to miss a 2nd to 3rd (by shifting back into 1st) @10k . Believe me, after dozen of flying rockers and broken crank I am afraid to take a car out.

Here, this might help.
They claim to have one seq shifter for the evo I to X and eclipse with dog gears....
http://www.sqsracing.com/index.php?load=katalog&act=racing&sel=sqs&idprispevek=2

SEQSHIFT Racing for Lancer EVO IV-IX, I-III, Eclipse using 2 cabel operated gearbox with dog-kit 5 or 6speed
right high adjustable, non clutch support - SHIFTCUT
mechanical, zinc steel

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

I could be wrong but if I remember right Ikeya use to make a evo 1-3 shifter and a evo4-up. I save the web page but this was a few years ago and I had just checked it 3 or 4 months ago and the page is no longer there.
Also I think that one of the benefits to this besides the faster shifting (some people can shift as fast) is that you have zero chance of doing the old 1-2-3-2 shift thing (throwing the tranny into second instead of fourth when you are at the top of third gear). I know of 3 people personally that have done this. And that could help save your tranny.

http://www.ikeya-f.co.jp/en/index.html

First off lets not confuse others by calling this a sequential transmission, because it is not. A true sequential transmission like in most motorcycles does not employ shift forks, or dogs. Sequential transmissions are designed from the ground up to have sequential gear selection, in that (for example) from first gear one may only either select neutral or second gear, or from fourth select third or fifth. There is no skipping gears one must go either up or down in order. Of course thats why it is called a sequential transmission. :confused: Many sequential transmissions use or employ a barrel with precisely placed grooves, or pins rotationally and axially across the barrel. When the barrel is rotated (I.E the shifter moved) it disengages whatever gear is currently selected first, and then engages the next gear in either ascending or descending order depending on which way the barrel is rotated.

Second Defiant is correct in that trying this with a standard DSM transmission will produce scrap metal, and yes I have seen the aftermath of those who have tried.:beatentodeath:

Third Xtrac makes some very nice sequential gearboxes. Please have a look at www.xtrac.com
for about 23K you could purchase a nice new one, they go up from there.:cry:

Lastly Like Mavisky said this is not a sequential transmission but a sequential shifter for a standard transmission.

I have no need for a true sequential transmission. I like using the clutch anyway and the whole sequential thing is like steering wheel shifting just takes the fun out of it. But does the Sequa shifter work on a 1g or is there any sequential style shifter you can get for the 1g that mainly locks you out of shiting anywhere but up and down?

Bringing this one back, as I'm sort of interested in finding out if ikeya formula actually made an evo3 shifter and if so is there a US re-seller contact that anyone has?

Also I don't really want to hear another this is not a sequential transmission, duh... :beatentodeath: maybe i skipped it but where did anyone in this thread even call it that ROFL

Bringing this one back, as I'm sort of interested in finding out if ikeya formula actually made an evo3 shifter and if so is there a US re-seller contact that anyone has?

Also I don't really want to hear another this is not a sequential transmission, duh... :beatentodeath: maybe i skipped it but where did anyone in this thread even call it that ROFL

Ikeya Formula shifters aren't made for evo's 1-3.

I've been wondering for a while if the Ikeya Formula sequential shifter for the Evo8 would fit the 2g? 5spd, I think all you would need to do is find a way to mount it properly.
BTW, the Ikeya Formula sequential shifter is about $1,000+

Does anyone have a spare Evo8 shifter base laying around that can test fit for size?

yea I just always heard rumors that they used to make an evo3 shifter, but it's hard to contact a japanese based company directly. I have a 2g trans that im going to have built into a dogbox(going into a 1g), and I'd like to get a sequential shifter as well.

I'm probably going to acquire a complete stock evo shifter and see if I can make it work. if that's possible then the ikeya shifter possible.

I'm just not sure how easy it will be considering the trans of the evo4-8 is on the other side.

yea I just always heard rumors that they used to make an evo3 shifter, but it's hard to contact a japanese based company directly. I have a 2g trans that im going to have built into a dogbox(going into a 1g), and I'd like to get a sequential shifter as well.

I'm probably going to acquire a complete stock evo shifter and see if I can make it work. if that's possible then the ikeya shifter possible.

I'm just not sure how easy it will be considering the trans of the evo4-8 is on the other side.

These devices are precisely made for the throws for an evo of other gens you're going to spend $1300 to find out? Well don't.

SQS racing still produces the evo 1-3 shifter

It's $1500 euro that's almost 2 thousand.

Straight from Petr Cimburek of SQS racing.

Is one of the three you know named Craig Spiker? If not make it 4 LOL. Sorry i'm OT, but since getting my first price quote of 27k from ikeya several years back, i always have to click these threads and see if anyone either has the tranny or if anyone has succesfully converted a stock style tranny to shift sequentially and get rid of the "H" patterns woes.

These devices are precisely made for the throws for an evo of other gens you're going to spend $1300 to find out? Well don't.

i never said I was going to try a ikeya shifter first, I said I was going to buy a stock evo shifter.

I'm sure I can find a stock evo 8 shifter to mess with, and if i cant get it to work, then oh well. ill look other places..

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back