The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

self life of a turbo'ed 420a

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
no hard feelings to anyone, including the great and powerful cumcumber

DSMNightmare, you must understand that if I had a 4G63T Id be arguing the other way, everyone who has a 420A would (and should) defend their engine, same with the 4G63.

Its funny to think that this thread could have been answered with one response:

"If you treat it well it will last"

LMFAO, HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA thats funny james, you should take this show on the road. If you ever want to smoke an AWD off the line you must first have the nuts to race an AWD off the line, which you dont, cause I have tried to get you to many times. You will never smoke an AWD off the line. You have something an awd will most likely never have, wheel spin. :D :thumb: :shhh: :laugh:

Originally posted by siueclipse
I can't wait to smoke my first GSX off the line. ;)

James

This is mostly true, but then again, when you have an AWD, it doesnt matter really what the roads are like, I guess I am just "CRAZY" like that. LOL

I think it will be nice this weekend. ;):cool:

LOL, yeah.. thats funny "race me with snow on the ground" haha dumbass!

it should be nice this weekend but i wont be here. im going to heather's parents house and doing work on my car

ok guys can we stop this. i have both engines a 420a and 4g63t. the 4g63t is cheaper to get goin faster. my 420a is slow for now but i want to get a stroker engine and turbo it. i know you guys may think its not worth it, mod the 4g... but i like my n/t. my turbo car is a 1g. i mean it looks nice but now car looks better than a 2g. plus its gonna be fun when people see that my car is an esi and think theyll smoke me. and it gonna be fun to look at their faces when i end up smoking them.

And that is one of the beauty's of turboing a non turbo, unless you have the big front mount, then they might know. Its all good man, we have made up and are not argueing the issue anymore, it is pretty much a moot point.

I originally bought my car to clean it up and show it but that kind of got put on the back burner when I turned to the engine. I am blessed that money is not really an issue for me so I am able to buy some of the more expensive and showier parts. Ask Legal and he will tell you its not that quick and there are a few 420 2Gs that can beat me but they do have more work done than I do. I have one of the biggest handicaps of a 2G and that is I have a FWD A/T which is good for about 16s stock. I have hella power I just cant keep it to the ground. :) I am working on several issues with the driveline and traction including a level 10 transmission that I got for stupid cheap. Thought about an LSD but I'm wieghing my options in that department.

My problem is that I like parts that look as good as they are functional. At the same time I have come to the realization that my car is probably only good for mid 12s with the setup that I have(no juice). The only FWD AT that I know of that pulls faster than 12s is Kevin Kwaitowski and he runs 10.3 I think on a 1G FWD. All I ever want from my car is 12s so thats why I spend more for the showy parts because I'm not in a hurry to get there (this spring knock wood). That and some things like the manifold I was just to lazy to port myself. I'm sure someone else could of or already has gotten the same results as me for less.

As for times lets just say that I'm about to bust 13s with only 15psi, half a$$ tires, 100lbs worth of tools and jack in the car and no fuel tuning whatsoever(1.03v WOT). Not to mention the fact that I added a full leather interior to the car :) I'm sure if I shaved weight I could have broke 13s but what fun is that? I want the car to be as fun to ride in on the street as it is at the track. If that does not get me 12s then so be it. But there are several upgrades that are on the shelf waiting for warm weather to go on the car. That and me and the SAFC need to sit down and have some quality time together.

Ever looked into a manual tranny swap?

The guy that was making the 420a drag car had an A/T and a level10 kit and he still hated it and wish he would have just did the swap. He was running 28psi too hehe.

Yeah I looked into it in the begining but I decided to stay with the auto for many reasons. One being that if I did a tranny swap I would be just like everyone else. The level10 setup I am going with should easily help me get the 12s I want. I can see where the 420 guy whould not like it in a drag car, but I would think if he was going full blown drag he might consider a 2speed powerglide. In pro drag the driveline of choice is still RWD A/T. I would only want to have to shift once if the car was hitting 160mph trap speeds. That way I could have both hands on the wheel. I am working on a way to mound the clutchless shift module and the lockup TC unit on the steering wheel when I race that way I can shift from the steering.

Actually had an idea of maybe getting a old conquest steering wheel that has the radio control buttons and airbag still and rewiring the buttons for the shift module. Just a thought tho....

Originally posted by Malenko
no hard feelings to anyone, including the great and powerful cumcumber

DSMNightmare, you must understand that if I had a 4G63T Id be arguing the other way, everyone who has a 420A would (and should) defend their engine, same with the 4G63.

Its funny to think that this thread could have been answered with one response:

"If you treat it well it will last"

Glad to see you're on the right page!

Originally posted by DSMNightmare
Yeah I looked into it in the begining but I decided to stay with the auto for many reasons. One being that if I did a tranny swap I would be just like everyone else. The level10 setup I am going with should easily help me get the 12s I want. I can see where the 420 guy whould not like it in a drag car, but I would think if he was going full blown drag he might consider a 2speed powerglide. In pro drag the driveline of choice is still RWD A/T. I would only want to have to shift once if the car was hitting 160mph trap speeds. ...

He planned on trying to get a few 1/4 runs and dyno pulls then hopefully would attract a few sponsors. HRC wanted us to use their S25GBB for free and we were hoping to find someone to pay for a tranny after some 9-10 second times were put down.

What happened to this car? Got a divorce and lost his job within the same month. He lost most of it and ended up putting it on hold. I doubt it will ever come back.

Damn you guys why is it that everytime somebody talks about having anything to do with modding or the quickness of the 420A some stuck up 4G63 owner has to start an argument over who's engine is better. This is the NON-TURBO PERFORMANCE THREAD if you guys wanna ##### to us about how your engines are so much better go do it in the turbo performance thread because it's getting really old around here, I'm tired of reading threads hoping to find out some performance info and all I see is people crying about how their gs-t's, gsx's and tsi's are soo much better than us get over yourself and move on they should have a rule about harassing all the 420A people all the time grow up, get over yourself and get along or stop harassing us in the non-turbo thread we are here to learn from each other not hear about your damn 4G63's all the time.

The everlasting ridiculous arguement.

420A guys (and I am one): we are slower, we have a 50-60 HP deficit in which to make up for at a stock level

4G63 guys: Most of us (420A people) look up to you in the fact that you have something that we have either chosen not to buy or something that we simply couldn't afford. We (for the most part) realize that you are faster. Just don't abuse the respect that people have for you. I hear a lot of bad things about our DSM community when I talk to friends.

I think it is pretty bad that it always comes down to such petty arguements over the engine differences. Comparing these two engines is like comparing night and day. They are for the most part total opposites. I admit I don't know everything there is to know about cars, but for a younger kid I think I know enough. And I also know that the so called DSM 'community' isn't much like that at all. As I've posted in many other threads...we are all here for the same reason. That is to tune our cars and to be satisfied with what we end up with. And if we don't quit with this stupid nonsense, there might not be a DSM community for much longer. This isn't in regards to any one in specific...just an open thought for everyone. Please realize that we're in this together.

Dude this has been dead for like a day already, why are you guys comin in and starting it all over. Damn, dont beat a dead horse.

Originally posted by LifeRollsOn
Damn you guys why is it that everytime somebody talks about having anything to do with modding or the quickness of the 420A some stuck up 4G63 owner has to start an argument over who's engine is better. This is the NON-TURBO PERFORMANCE THREAD if you guys wanna ##### to us about how your engines are so much better go do it in the turbo performance thread because it's getting really old around here, I'm tired of reading threads hoping to find out some performance info and all I see is people crying about how their gs-t's, gsx's and tsi's are soo much better than us get over yourself and move on they should have a rule about harassing all the 420A people all the time grow up, get over yourself and get along or stop harassing us in the non-turbo thread we are here to learn from each other not hear about your damn 4G63's all the time.

GEEZ. I just read the WHOLE freaking thread. And after doing so I would feel stupid if I didn't post something. So here is my opinion :

The turbo kit is probably very reliable, but you won't be able to run much better than 14s. The 420A is indeed a good engine, I had a Neon and they are lighter and they handle great too, I smoked RS eclipses with it.

No doubt the 420a can be build and be fast, but you will need to spend a lot of money if you are really looking to race vettes and other neat v8s because you will need to build your internals.

The 4g63 is a good engine, but consider yourself lucky to have a 420a on a 2g because you don't have to worry about the god damn crankwalk, my friend just walked and it's going to cost him almost 2k to put a 6bolt on it.

The best thing about 4g63 is that it takes a lot of boost stock. You don't need to build your internals to run 20psi and you will never see that on a 420a.

So if you are looking to have some fun with civics si, 3g eclipses, integras and other cars in the 200hp range get the stage 2 kit. :)

The only thing I must say though is that ricers suck and I hate em, so please don't rice your car... ok good day now!

Originally posted by Ricardo
The only thing I must say though is that ricers suck and I hate em, so please don't rice your car... ok good day now!

THIS THREAD IS AWESOME!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back