The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

self life of a turbo'ed 420a

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
what it comes down to is money, PURE AND SIMPLE! If you have the cash almost anything is possible

WRONG!! Thats why we have a guy in STL with a GST with 1000 bucks under the hood and he runs 12.7s consistantly. The Money factor is for pro/semi pro cars or rich boys who cant tune. If your running a car that is not pro/semi pro then you dont have to have tons of money to make it quick (IE 12s) This is not meant to make anyone mad by saying this but Money without knowlege does not = speed/times.

Originally posted by legaleagle
I am not argueing any thing about what is better, I am talking about cost to power ratio. I have both so I can give a non biast opinion on this. The 420 is a good engine but it is not a turbo. If you wanted a turbo, why didnt you buy in the first place??

Just my .02 I did not buy the turbo car because I plan on saving up and doing a full rebuild on my motor and then turboing it with a turbo that produces alot more power than the stock one could.... Why would I buy a turbo car and pay higher insurance, pay more for the car, only to take out almost every single part of the turbo system and throw it away and also have to rebuild the engine because the 4G63 would not handle the power I'm gonna be runnin in my rebuilt 420A.

Originally posted by LifeRollsOn

only to take out almost every single part of the turbo system and throw it away and also have to rebuild the engine because the 4G63 would not handle the power I'm gonna be runnin in my rebuilt 420A.

If you take the money that you are spending on the turbo kit and dump it into a 4g, you have a faster car. PLAIN AND SIMPLE!!!! Take a rebuilt 420 up against a rebuilt 4g, the 4g will still be stronger. PLAIN AND SIMPLE!!! Take Buchur's car, it has the 4g in it. I know it is built but it still runs the stock crank. ITS IN THE 7'S!!!!!!!!! Lets see a 420 do that. You wont. PLAIN AND SIMPLE!!!!

Im not saying the 420 is bad. I have had both. Im just saying if a 4g is the stonger motor. Hands down.

Joe

Insurance is only a factor if you cant drive and have mad a$$ tickets or if you are a yoot. I pay $500 every six months for an RS and a TSI AWD. So there goes the whole cheaper insurance thing.

**Edit** misspelled Factor

...And I am a wiseman, you will never achive that because you are a F*&^ing dumb @$$.

:rolleyes: Doesn't look like it.

Anyway, I love hearing how easy it is to build a 9 second GSX. How much do you think people spend to achieve a 9 second DSM? $20,000+? I really don't know, this is a guess. You say you can have a 9 sec GSX for how hard it is to get 280 HP out of a 420a. Well, the kit I have here (not on) is a star stage 2. Instead of paying for a small turbo, small side mount intercooler, sh'tty FPR, sh'tty downpipe, sh'tty wastegate, sh'tty bov, sh'tty intercooler piping, etc... I ended up first buying a front mount intercooler, t3/t4, 2.5" dp, tial wastegate, hks bov, greddy e-manage, vortech afpr, etc. I didn't have to waste my money buying parts I would replace. After the kit goes on I am hoping 180-210hp. That setup only cost me $2100. HowellAutomotive sells 2.2L pre-built stroker longblocks for about $3,000. I'm guessing 15-18 psi with this setup would be good for low 13 second times and well over 280hp.

I know for a fact people have done low 13's in their gs-t for less then that but look at the times of the people on this site. Many many have spent at least $1,000 and are still high 14's. Just look through the times for 2G FWD cars. Look at all those 9 second cars sheesh.

I know for a fact people have done low 13's for less then that but look at the times of the people on this site. Many many have spent at least $1,000 and are still high 14's. Just look through the times for 2G FWD cars. Look at all those 9 second cars sheesh.

Yeah legal!! and while your at it look at all the 13 second N/As! Oh oops :shhh: nevermind.

BTW this is not the only site for times.

times.dsm.org has them as well. Not to mention all the people who don't post at all.

Key word here is "Hoping" you will spend $2700, not $2200, unless you got a good hookup or it is used, for the star and only be at 210? I run that stock. You also need to get yourself a DP, and exhaust. Give me that T3/T4 and I will be in the 12's with proper tuning. Anyways, it doesnt matter, you can keep your 420 and I will keep mine, I will also keep my car that is meant to be a turbo. People are going to get what they want, I was simply playing devils advocate and giving my opinion, but I see since someone doesnt agree then it is wrong. Have fun with whatever you get. :thumb: :shhh:

Originally posted by DSMNightmare

Yeah legal!! and while your at it look at all the 13 second N/As! Oh oops :shhh: nevermind.

Ummm, I don't think I was talking about all motor cars. BTW, there are all-motor cars faster then some turbocharged cars on the list. All motor is not the way to go for 2g cars. I don't think I said it was once.

...star and only be at 210? I run that stock.

Well, when most people talk about horsepower we talk wheel horsepwer. I said I would dyno 190-210hp but since you like to talk crank horsepower then how about 240-260. I think your car puts roughly 170 stock, correct?

I was not talking about all-motor either. I was referring to the N/A conversions. That bumps the number wayyyy up. Oops :shhh: nevermind.

It's nice and all to know you guys like your own cars and think they are the sH*$ but my original question wasn't who has the faster car or who's the more intelligent one, but as in the title of the tread( though it is misspelled ) is Will a turboed 420a engine last a while. It's just seems that most of you who do have the a turbo on these engines have only had it for a short while. It is obivous I would buy a tsi aor gsx , gst in the first place, BUT like i said, TSI and GSX's are about twice the cost then there n/t counter parts.

I just figured for the same price i could get a tsi with over 100k's on it
OR
A n/t with a bottom end rebuilt and turboed and even have enough money for an exhaust.

I've done the math ( I'm no dummy when it comes to number cruching, I've got a back ground in modern physics, engineering, and stats).

The supposed hp of the two choices are identical, though the n/t has an edge over the turboed version since it is starting with the rebuilt bottom.

So i figure ...My discision really depends on the " Will a n/t -turbo last as long as a tsi/gst/gsx.

Originally posted by Malenko
This is the most tired out subject on this board and it never seems to go away.

Turbo guys are gonna say their car is the best and NA guys are gonna say their car has more potential. I try to stay out of it myself, but I will say this, I KNOW my 420A non turbo is faster then the 4G63 non-turboed.

Now if the original poster is asking if he should turbo his 420A or Swap out to a 4G63.... Im sure everyone would agree its more cost efficient to turbo then swap.

And CUCUMBER how is your car doing?

Car is doing great, it runs like a champ, and is one of the few spyders with a 6-bolt swap.

How's your wing doing? Still getting birds perched on it?

Because I dont spend my life posting on this board. And I am a wiseman, you will never achive that because you are a F*&^ing dumb @$$. I wasnt being a di*k but since you want to be, go ahead and burn your money, Smart guy. :thumb:

no problem ill burn my money and then one day ill burn that tsi for you.
and now i understand why your such a dick because you want to be a wiseman but you cant because you dont really know all you think you know. as for me i dont wanna be im on the forum to help someone who may not know something i know or so i can learn something that they might know...:thumb:

I can't wait to smoke my first GSX off the line. ;)

I build my 420a because I like the fact that its the underdog. I personally think that if you spent the same amount of money on both cars and upgrade both cars, the 4g63 might be a little faster, but not much ;)

James

Insurance is only a factor if you cant drive and have mad a$$ tickets or if you are a yoot. I pay $500 every six months for an RS and a TSI AWD. So there goes the whole cheaper insurance thing.

**Edit** misspelled Factor

My insurance is like 1200 a year now and if I would have gone with the GSX it would have been 2000 a year so don't act like insurance doesnt matter, if you wanna send me a $800 check in the mail every year then I will go sell my gs and buy a gsx but not all of us can afford almost double the insurance just to drive a car that came stock turbo.

OK well I'll help you out legal. You know your way out of your league. You need to back off the 420 man because you know how fast they get oops :shhh: nevermind. Because you know that you can make more power with the 420a than with a 4G63 anyday. Who cares that Buscher and Shephard have all proven the power of the 4G into the 9s and 8s. What do they know? I mean they obviously dont realize the potential of the 420a. I mean seriouly LEGAL what were you thinking???? We have 420s pushing low 13s and you know what that means!!! DOLLAR FOR DOLLAR THEY ARE GOING TO KICK YOUR BUTT. Because anyday now they are going to miraculously going to come out with a kit that will make them jump from 13s to 9s.

:rolleyes: PLEASE

Seriously legal why waste your time debating this. Your trying to help these folks and they dont want to listen. Fact is Warren Daniel has proven that a 4G63 with the biggest handicap (FWD A/T) can still run faster. So let them have thier 420 and you can keep showing them your back bumper. BTW when we get your boost turned up 5 more psi now that you can do it you should be seeing some better numbers.

LESS TALK MORE NUMBERS

BTW I'm not saying the 420a cant go faster than 13s. I am just saying that the 4G63 had a HUGE head start on you if your trying to be better.

You listed 2 guys in the 9's and said it is cheap to get GSX's in the 9's. Keep listing them. You know nothing about making a fast car. Nothing. Who said anything about 420a can handle more power then a 4g63? I've heard of a 600+hp 420a. You are in Illinois right? Want to line up against 3 of my 420a buddies in the Springfield area? You got the 4g63 you will win I assume. Let me know if you are close. I'm sure one won't mind finding some race gas and showing you what 20psi with 8.8:1 compression feels like. Let me know because I can give them your email address if you want.

You have a HP head start and also a price head start. You guys have to replace the same damn parts we do to build a fast car.

Dude stick stick to what you know. The 420a! There is a guy here in STL running 12.7 with maybe 1000 bucks under the hood. Dude, why are you taking this stuff personal.

Why dont you people stick to the facts if you dont want to talk about the big guys like buschur or shephard then stick to the facts. Show me these miraculous 420a DSMs!!! not Neons that weigh 1000lbs less that are putting this massive HP to the ground. I want you to show me these DSMs that are using the 420a to put more power to the ground. Why do you need to call your buddies to race me? What about your car???? Besides who needs to line up side by side when all we need are time slips. Wait until the end of the next season you put your stuff in I'll put mine in and well bring the numbers back here. Sound fair enough?? Besides if we are dipping into the friends arsenal then I can call a friend of a friend of a friend and then we can do this. Stop talking smack until YOU have something to talk about.

POSER ;)

BTW I never said it was cheap to get into the 9s nor did I say GSX. Read again. What I did say was that a 4G can be in the 12s for around 1000 bucks can the 420a?

BTW I want to be the first to apologize to Jimi for ruining his thread. Sorry man I'm not adding any more to this thread. I'm not helping a bit. :)

you said 9 second 420A not 9 sec 2GNT, your mistake.
And yes money rules all if you dont know what your doing and you pay someone who does.... well then money can buy knowledge too

This thread sucks.

brotherhood of DSMers my a$s
no, wing is gone, sorry to dissappoint and I wont be nice ask how your car is doing after you let your dumb a$s bro use it and destroy it.

Just so everyone knows, I AIM messaged cucumber to try and clear it up I wasnt trying to be a smart ass, but he still acted like a dik, so dont bother even talking to him, heh glad to see the moderators are there for us!

Attachments

• untitled-1.jpg
    untitled-1.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 246
Status
Not open for further replies.
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back