The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support ExtremePSI

Seafoam killed my car and I broke my fuel line.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leonthefaded

Supporting VIP
Aug 3, 2011
Ewa Beach, Hawaii
Everything you say can and will be used against you

Last edited:
This probably doesn't help, but I chose to use SeaFoam on my near 130K '90 GSX. I performed the "soak" using "Seafoam Engine Treatment" via the brake booster vacuum hose. It worked fine and I actually did it a second time a few months later. I'm currently running 5W30 Mobil 1 with one quart of MMO (Marvel Mystery Oil LOL and the engine is running fine -- no complaints. I'm inclined to avoid Sea-Foam as a gasoline additive since it appears to contain alcohol, but IMO, the soak is very helpful for an older engine :).

PS. I vaguely recall the can instruction was to add just half a can in the gas tank.

Yeah on the can the instructions say its alright to add the can to the full tank. However I have done this before on my GS, my Canyon, my Grand Am and all my other vehicles and it has worked wonders. I just cant help but blame seafoam for this. I' hoping maybe it just cleaned everything real good in the tank and some sludge or dirt is lodged somewhere. Or maybe I'm just missing something.

Is it possible the Seafoam cleaned the debris off the bottom of the tank and it's now clogging your fuel filter? That would be my next step.

Is it possible the Seafoam cleaned the debris off the bottom of the tank and it's now clogging your fuel filter? That would be my next step.

Thats what I was thinking. Maybe my tank was dirty and now its clooging the pump or whatnot. Sorry for my bad grammer... pain killers

Well tomorrow I check the fuel pump and the injectors that way I can see whats going on with them cant replace them yet but I'll figure something out. Maybe I'll try that DIY injector cleaning video I watched.

Why did you add a second can of seafoam after you filled up? You're supposed to add it, drive the vehicle for awhile, then fill it all back up then you're done. I think you may have brought this on yourself by dumping two whole cans of the stuff in your car.

The combination of the fuel and the crap that's already in it + the seafoam probably deteriorated something internal.

When using Seafoam your supposed to add 1oz to each gallon you have in your gas tank. A 1/4th of a tank is about 4 gallons. A can of Seafoam is 16oz. Sounds like you added 12oz to much in the first place and then later on added another can. Just hope you did clog up the fuel filter instead of burning up a sensor or killing your injectors. Don't blame Seafoam, blame the user! Next time read the instructions.

After some extensive research. Seafoam does ot harm any sensors, seals or gaskets on a vehicle. So now I need to be looking in the "No Start" Arena of things. I'll check the fuel filter but thats problably not it.

I doubt the filter is bad. If I see the filter is bad clogged and whatnot. Replacement will be done. But honestly I feel as though something else besides the fuel components might be the issue. I just can't put my finger on it. Has anyone had their fuel pressure solenoid go bad and cause their car to not turn over?

Sounds to me like its just a coincidental issue. I would check to see if you are getting fuel through the injectors. Pull a spark plug and pull ALL OF THE WIRES. Then have someone crank it while your watching the cylinder that has no spark plug. You SHOULD see a small cloud of gas coming out of the cylinder. If not your Crank position or cam angle sensor are toast. If this is the case take advantage of this and get a 1g CAS that goes on the end of your intake cam.

after looking at your car it looks like you are a 2gb where the CAS is already there anyway. Could be that this is your issue.

I've read on the jeep forums about guys who ungunked so much stuff they had to drop the tank empty it all out and remount. That would be a PITA if it was my case.

Whatever the problem is sea-foam did not cause it you did. It doesn't put it self into your car it needs help. if you are going to look for a blocked fuel line I would start by checking for fuel in the rail, If there is none then I would open up the tank and check the fuel pump sock-filter thing, also make sure the pump didn't go bad. I would replace the filter sock, then see if that fixes the problem. If not then replace the firewall fuel filter.

SeaFoam consists of roughly 20% Isopropyl as a drier, 30% Naphtha as a cleaner, and 50% of a lightweight lubricant. None of these will hurt anything in your car unless it was already failing.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's a longshot.... But recently I was having supposed fuel pressure issues as well. Turned out the ect sensor or temp sender on the thermostat housing was bad and sending faulty readings to the ecu, which in turn flooded the engine with gas while trying to crank because it thought the car was warmer than it was. They are very inexpensive sensors to replace and my car started up on the first crank after they were swapped with oem ones from a known working car.

Whatever the problem is sea-foam did not cause it you did. It doesn't put it self into your car it needs help. if you are going to look for a blocked fuel line I would start by checking for fuel in the rail, If there is none then I would open up the tank and check the fuel pump sock-filter thing, also make sure the pump didn't go bad. I would replace the filter sock, then see if that fixes the problem. If not then replace the firewall fuel filter.

Thanks for the input.

Fuel is definatly making its way to the rail. After removing the fpr twice the rail was primed with fuel. It just might be flooding though and those sensors just might be the issue. I can smell gas when trying to crank but this could just be normal fuel being put into the engine. But this is pure speculation on my part. But if fuel is making its way all the way to the rail then then the pump still works as well as the lines are open. And the rail after visual inspection is free and clear of congestion.

So I couldnt get the fuelt filter off. The top nut on the filter wouldnt budge a bit, and to add to that the filter would spin at every attempt. Looks like its never been changed... EVER. But it aitn coming off for me. Now I need to figure out how I'm going to change the filter if the old filter doesnt come off the line or is by taking it off would damage the line leading to the filter and from the filter to the engine.:hmm:

Anyway I think this is a sign that its not the filter. Still cranks all day but doesnt start. Can smell fuel so I know fuel is going where it needs to be. No leaks seen. I'm starting to consider that not enough air is being mixed into the fuel at startup, but no leads as to how that could be a possibility.

Any ideas?:hmm:

SeaFoam consists of roughly 20% Isopropyl as a drier, 30% Naphtha as a cleaner, and 50% of a lightweight lubricant. None of these will hurt anything in your car unless it was already failing.
From reading, Isopropyl actually isn't so very good for rubber hoses. That's the reason I'm reluctant to use it as a gas additive (though I have added 8 oz on each of two fill ups in the past). However, definitely works great as a soak :).

So I couldnt get the fuelt filter off. The top nut on the filter wouldnt budge a bit, and to add to that the filter would spin at every attempt. Looks like its never been changed... EVER. But it aitn coming off for me. Now I need to figure out how I'm going to change the filter if the old filter doesnt come off the line or is by taking it off would damage the line leading to the filter and from the filter to the engine.:hmm:

Anyway I think this is a sign that its not the filter. Still cranks all day but doesnt start. Can smell fuel so I know fuel is going where it needs to be. No leaks seen. I'm starting to consider that not enough air is being mixed into the fuel at startup, but no leads as to how that could be a possibility.

Any ideas?:hmm:
If you have a bolt or nut that fights too hard, I strongly suggest Liquid Wrench and a 24 hour soak to give it the best shot of easing the seal. You definitely need to be able to disconnect the filter -- mine wasn't easy either after over 100K mi :(! (Also, be sure to use a flare type wrench on flare connections, it both helps separate them and reduces likelihood of damage.)

Last edited by a moderator:
From reading, Isopropyl actually isn't so very good for rubber hoses. That's the reason I'm reluctant to use it as a gas additive (though I have added 8 oz on each of two fill ups in the past). However, definitely works great as a soak :).

If you have a bolt or nut that fights too hard, I strongly suggest Liquid Wrench and a 24 hour soak to give it the best shot of easing the seal. You definitely need to be able to disconnect the filter -- mine wasn't easy either after over 100K mi :(!

I shot it with some PB catalyst and hopefully tomorrow (when its not raining cats and dogs) I'll be able to remember theres a nut on the bottom of the fitler (Thanks Potenze) and break that baby free, and see what gunk falls out. Hopefully nothing to confirm my guess.

Maybe iac went bad. Or fuel pump sucked up poop and is dead. Change fuel filter now. Go walbro if u havent.. and maybe some seals died in your throttle body. Rebuild it. Do your throttle body shaft seals and blok off dumb stuff while your at it... try holding your gas down slightly while tryin to start.. Jump start to get a strong crank. Maybe iacv is dead... now u gotta hold gas down til she warms up. Hmm do a boost leak test.

Maybe iac went bad. Or fuel pump sucked up poop and is dead. Change fuel filter now. Go walbro if u havent.. and maybe some seals died in your throttle body. Rebuild it. Do your throttle body shaft seals and blok off dumb stuff while your at it... try holding your gas down slightly while tryin to start.. Jump start to get a strong crank. Maybe iacv is dead... now u gotta hold gas down til she warms up. Hmm do a boost leak test.

Thank you for your input. The IAC has been changed, the pump is in fact pumping. The throttle body seals are good. There is no boost leak. My what what? She cant warm up because she doesnt turn over.

Ty

Status
Not open for further replies.
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back