The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

General SD or MAF

Keep as SD or convert to MAF?

• keep as SD

Votes: 6 100.0%
  • convert to MAF

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SD is a lot better in the long run but i guess it also depends on your plans with the car

You have a EPROM ECU, just save your pennies and get DSMLink for it. Then you can do either MAF or SD and not have to learn how to write code for our ECU's yourself.

That sounds better.
Mine "should" be socketed since it has a ribbon cable going into the ECU that then goes to the Moates.
I had the ECU pulled a couple summers ago but didn't take pics, I'll have to pull it again one of these weekends.
I'm hoping to keep the Moates and find a SD BIN/XDF - another member here is hopefully able to find them.

That would be the first time I, myself, see a ribbon cable on a socket soldered to the ecu but it sure as hell makes swapping chips easy or is the Moates a different unit/chip (not familiar with it)
ECMLINK all the way and go SD in my opinion.
I run all my DSMs on SD or am in the conversion process now and I have 3 and all 3 on ECMLINK. Even the mostly stock car, that was the first upgrade to her.

That would be the first time I, myself, see a ribbon cable on a socket soldered to the ecu but it sure as hell makes swapping chips easy or is the Moates a different unit/chip (not familiar with it)

That's the way it's typically done with a Moates Ostrich. Somtimes I'd see somebody solder the ribbon directly to the PCB and that would have be undone when they finally upgraded to DSMLink.

The Ostrich is a EPROM emulator to download images into over USB. The version 2 added the ability to trace accesses (Memory Addresses) so you can do things like see which map entries your using.

Last edited:
As aways, I love that you expalin it Steve. It helps everyone, not just old guys like me. ROFL

I'm actually HIGHLY satisfied with the Moates (once I finally started digging in).
The learning curve seems to be steeper than ECMLINK.

But I'm hitting a brick wall trying to find an SD BIN/XDF and you can't do anything with Moates without the BIN/XDF :(
I'm actually leaning towards keeping my Moates and reverting to MAF just so that I can keep the Moates.
I may just back-burner the Talon for another year or so and focus on other projects.

I wish I would have started learning this stuff in the late 90s when my brother first started dropping in "performance chips".
I'm a bit late to the punch bowl and the ice has all melted... Or something like that...

For much too long I had been running a S-AFC, with MAF. Even with a wide-band to monitor, the results were less that optimal. I could never be "done" with the setup.

After switching to ECMLink v3, I was finally able to make big strides, and ran a MAF setup for a while. I still run MAF for SMOG checks in California. Still dealing with some tune issues, I added an IAT sensor, and MAP sensor and finally switched to SD.

After figuring out how to tune SD, I would never go back. Every boost level at every RPM can be dialed in to a point where you can actually "finish" tuning the setup.

Switching back to MAF is not difficult for those time when you need it.

If you have nothing but time to kill, I blogged the entire journey on MAF, and eventually SD on the ECMLink tuning forum (which is basically inactive but still live)

<http://www.ecmtuning.com/forums/showthread.php?t=90387&page=18>

Last edited by a moderator:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back