The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support ExtremePSI

Scraping sound from trigger plate and sensor . Oil leak from tensioner

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TiniacosMotorsports

Proven Member
Nov 25, 2014
pensacola, Florida
97 eclipse get 5 speed stock. I amgetting a scraping noise and the plate has scratch marks on it and what looks like someone has tried to fix with a screw driver. Also having major oil leakage problem from one of the tensioner . I used my sethascope to listen to where the sound was coming from and it was comingfrom the tensioner ( where scraping noise was theloudest) . Looking for suggestions on what to do I don't think it is crank walk didn't see any crank play when I had someone push clutch I'm and out and I couldn't move it by hand , no metal shaving or scraps in my oil. Has anyone had this problem or any .advise? Thanks in advance and sorry for my bad spelling. Here are some pictures. Not uploading from my phone I have pictures posted on another thread asking this question. Thanks guys.

Here are some pictures . Thanks

Attachments

• gst tmc2.jpg
    gst tmc2.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 89
  • gst tmc 6.jpg
    gst tmc 6.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 74
  • gst tmc 1.jpg
    gst tmc 1.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 78
  • gst tmc5.jpg
    gst tmc5.jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 84
Dollars to doughnuts the oil leak is coming from the front BS tensioner pulley bolt not being sealed or the front BS seal is leaking

Next pull your VC, and loosen all the cam tower caps so the valves close

Then grab the socket for the crank center bolt and rotate the engine over and listen and see if you hear the trigger plate scrape on the crank sensor.

Double check crank end play, it is less than .010

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back