The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support STM Tuned

SCCA & Talons......wtf

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scca has a class for our cars, ie meaning turbo cars. I contacted their tech department via telephone. It is a regional only class, so making it to the runoffs is out of the question. The class runs under the production category. It is called super production. The class is unlimited, meaning nitrous, turbo, supercharger, meth injection! Anything goes!! The class can range from a 3-cylinder geo metro to a twin turbocharged viper. And everything in between. I am setting up my shelby daytona to run in that. Hope that helps some.

Well that is great news to find out, I guess then I will stick my nose into that class. Can you give me any more information on the class, roll cages etc?

I use to pit for a guy racing his AWD 2g in SCCA. He was put in a class with Mustangs, V8s and cars that had some serious power. I dont remember the name of the class, i think it was ITE. It was basicly an overflow class of cars that couldnt be classed anywhere else. He had a decent sized turbo, gr30r running about about 24psi. high 300 low 400 AWHP range.
I personally dont agree with how SCCA does their classings, because they are bias against AWD cars.

I use to pit for a guy racing his AWD 2g in SCCA. He was put in a class with Mustangs, V8s and cars that had some serious power. I dont remember the name of the class, i think it was ITE. It was basicly an overflow class of cars that couldnt be classed anywhere else. He had a decent sized turbo, gr30r running about about 24psi. high 300 low 400 AWHP range.
I personally dont agree with how SCCA does their classings, because they are bias against AWD cars.

Ah, don't screw around with SCCA. Run NASA instead, where our cars are classed fairly.

Last year, I ran in TTB against all those kinds of cars, and was competitive against Vettes, Evos, M3s, M Coupes, Mustangs and whatnot. Those same cars with "serious power" or major mods were bumped up to TTA or TTU. In the rain, I beat even the higher-class cars (AWD rules in the rain!)

This year, it looks like I'll be in TTA, but the classes have been reorganized, so I dunno what I'll be running against. In any case, I am confident that my 1G with about 300-325 hp will be competitive no matter what's in my class. NASA does a good job of making things even.

Our DSMs, no matter what level of hp or mods, are competitive in all their various NASA classes. If we get enough of you guys out there, we could sweep the awards at the Nationals next year, from TTG to TTR, plus all the corresponding race groups. Even a bone-stock DSM is competitive in its base class.

Rich

TheCrazyDSM'r,

SCCA just created two new National classes (effective 1/1/07) where you can road race your DSM...B and D Prepared. The two classes are modeled after (and the rules are based on) the World Challenge GT and Touring classes, with power capped at 450 and 250 hp, respectively. You can run Touring with a few bolt-ons at 250 hp and 2700 lbs (minimum with driver) or go hog-wild with 450 hp at 2900 lbs (those weights may change in the coming months).

The rules are kinda fluid for its first season, but will be massaged to let in the widest range of cars practical. Big brakes and wheels, wings, and AWD are permitted, along with dry sumps, dogboxes, free ECUs, etc. The club wants to attract the widest range of WC cars, Grand Am Cup cars, ITE, Super Prod, etc into a National class, so here's your chance.

Download the GCR and Prepared Category rules here, and the monthly updates here.

There are a couple of misconceptions about the SCCA licensing process that I can clear up. The school requires a 4-hour "ground school" to go over the rules, flags, procedures, etc. (generally on a Friday night), followed by two days of track time. The two track days start with a couple of sessions in an instructor car (remember, SCCA cars do not require two seats - and all open wheelers and most sports racers only have one) before on-track sessions in your own car. The students have to get a minimum of 6 hours on track in their own car before earning a Novice license. That works out to 6 30-minute sessions per day, with debriefing between sessions. Once the school is completed and the student earns a Novice permit, there are the mandatory races with the big Novice stickers on the car. At any time you can get your ticket yanked and sent back to school. There is no such thing as a "one day school".

That said, I am confident that there are slow guys in SCCA...and in NASA as well. It happens, and thankfully, most of them take up another hobby quickly. It's all good.

Stan

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back