The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

SCCA solo II

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cialowicz

Probationary Member
Jan 8, 2003
Stow_MA
Hi,
I'm new to the forum, and am probably going to be purchasing a 1991 Mitsu GSX. The car looks to be in good shape.

I used to own an old school quattro that I raced in SCCA solo II. I really like the AWD handling a lot, and the ability to put down power in the twisty bits.

I notice that many (or most) of you are really into drag racing, and fast & furious type racing. I'm not too into all that... is there anyone here who has solo II'd their GSX? How do they typically do? I'm guessing they'd take my old Audi easily, but how about a WRX? Are they in C or B class? I live in MA... so if anyone wants to hit the auto-x at Devens with me as soon as the season opens, let me know (provided I get the GSX).

Cheers,
Mike.

My old Audi (for those of you whole like the U-boat ubermobiles):
<A HREF="http://pictureposter.audiworld.com/users/24762.phtml">Click me!</A>

Originally posted by cialowicz
there anyone here who has solo II'd their GSX? How do they typically do? I'm guessing they'd take my old Audi easily, but how about a WRX? Are they in C or B class?

You're right, most DSM owners are into drag, but I'd rather compete in local autocross and rallycross events with my Talon. Typically I come in 1st - 3rd depending on who shows up and how I drive. WRX's are not particularly fast compared to DSM, really it mostly depends on the driver.

Turbo DSMs compete in ESP, CP and SM. Last I checked they were also in GS, but I seem to remember something about that changing.

Dave

i have to agree most people on this site don't even need their steering wheels. :p I've got a 2gnt and really it doesn't autocross very well, too heavy, underpowered, bad suspension setup, and horrible weight distribution. I've never talked to anyone who's autoxed a 1g, I imagine they'd be decent or even very good if you can get the right turbo set up. That's the complaint i've heard about autoxed gsx's no matter what the year, is that they are a little underpowered to get power to all four wheels but like i said that could be taken care of with the right turbo set up or some good left foot braking.

I drive in the New England Region SCCA with my 2G GSX. Street Mod is probably the most mod friendly for DSM's.

There are quite a few fast DSM's (2G's) autocrossing in the NER area, Fedja and Charles, but those guys are both in 2G's, which have a bit better autocross ability thanks (!!!) to the T25.

Considering you're used to autocrossing your Audi, I assume you're used to heavy, floaty, understeering pigs. That's what you're going to have with a relatively stock suspensioned GSX.

Just remember to put it in second all the time and avoid high revs in a first gen. Power Steering Cutout = BAAAAD.

Fedja is just super unnatural. He is absolutely one of the smoothest drivers I have ever seen. We are lucky to have him running DSM's and as a resource, especially if you are in the NE region.

Charles is also an excellent resource. Well versed in suspensions and setups even if his first love is dirt bikes and not DSM's. ;)

2G's are a little better for autocrossing not necessarily because of the T25 (or insta-spool or Insta-torque as we call them) but more so because of the wishbone suspension in 2G's versus the McPherson strut setup in the 1G's.

Stock class: D stock
Street Prepared Class: E Street Prepared
Next up is Street Modified followed by C Prepared.

That too, but I'm assuming he knew that the 2G's had a better suspension setup.

Me? I've got my AGP T28, and 90k+ mile struts. I want to trophy SM this year. I have nothing better to do with my weekends. ;)

Yeah, there are some of us who prefer to turn. I have had my car to a dragstrip twice in its life. Once bone stock and once last summer. I prefer to do track days, or autocross.

I am thinking about doing the Silver State Classic next year. I can't do it this year do to commitments, but maybe in 2004. Anyone interested?

Originally posted by cait sith
I want to trophy SM this year. I have nothing better to do with my weekends. ;)

I'm planning on doing that too at a local level :thumb: Placing nationally is out the the question, not to mention most of the events are farther away than I'm willing to drive. But there will be a Pro Solo in Petersburg VA this year and I'll be there finding out how my front-strutted-16G'd 1G Talon stacks up against you T25 Wishbones.

Then there's the rallycross season that starts up next month. If I'm lucky there won't be any schedule conflicts between rallyx and autox, but if there are, rallyx usually wins out because of the excitement factor OMG

i didn't think you could place nationally in sm because it was only at local level and only sm2 is national.

Originally posted by mdre21
i didn't think you could place nationally in sm because it was only at local level and only sm2 is national.

Uhm. What are you smoking? SM was an Official National class this past year. SM2 is in jeopardy unless more people come out at National events (National Tour and Pro-Solo events).

damn chill out, you don't have to be a dick about it. I don't race sm, and i just thought that it was an optional class for regions and divisions and if you look on the website it doesn't list sm as a national class, so from what info i had i didn't think it was a national class.

Originally posted by mdre21
damn chill out, you don't have to be a dick about it. I don't race sm, and i just thought that it was an optional class for regions and divisions and if you look on the website it doesn't list sm as a national class, so from what info i had i didn't think it was a national class.

1) I wasn't being a dick. If you want me to be, I can.
2) Don't get your panties in a twist.
3) It used to be optional. There was enough interest to make it a real National level class. Last year was the first full year.
4) I race in Street Mod. I know what is going on in the class so I corrected you. Simple as that.

sorry, you came off as a dick "uhm, what are you smoking" came off to me as being a dick and getting your panties in a bunch. Now that it is all said and done, thank you for correcting me letting me know that i had incorrect information. Simple as that right. :thumb:

Whoa. Anyway, what kind of safety equipment is usually required to run in autox or open track days, roll bar, helment, harnesses?

open track days are much different than SCCA SoloII events. SoloII stuff requires some basic tech/safety: battery tie downs that are properly installed and secure, normal 3-point seatbelts (shoulder and 2 lap points), good wheel bearings/tires/lugs. Basically it's more of a safety check to make sure nothing is falling off your car and that it is safe to drive.

As far as lapping days, that is dependent on the track and who is running the event.

I autocross and do track events. I'm really not concerned with 1/4 mile times either. This will be my first year with the GSX and only my second autocrossing. I used to run my GTI VR6 in STS. For this season I will be sticking in STX, as I just got the car a couple weeks ago and if I mess with boost I will be opening up a whole new can of worms in SM. I figure this year I will try to do basically every suspenion mod I can and anything else while remaining in STX. That way next year I can start messing with boost and have a car that can handle the power.

If you just plan on running local, regional, events, you really don't have to worry about engine mods and autocrossing. It's when you're running 10 seconds faster than everyone else in your class, they start looking, at least in the Regional type things.

Obvious suspension mods, like coilovers or the like are a giveaway, but if you're running a bleeder valve, a few fuel mods, and a full turbo back exhaust, they're not going to start having a heart attack.

Glad to see some fellow DSM'ers into autox. I have not raced, but did the Evolution phase 1 last June and am doing the Phase 2 in Atlanta on March 8. I may run a couple events this year in ESP if I get some 235/45-13 700's for my drag wheels and if time permits.

Joe

I'm looking forward to running my talon this year!!! It should be fun, just can't wait for the events to start... I go with my school's club all the time, they just can't find a place to rent the lot for the day (had a few issues with fences disappearing last year). I don't know how much I'm gonna run the talon, but I'll definately take it a couple times... the mini is just SO good for that stuff, and I'm getting pretty quick in the little car!!!

This was an awesome school- much more seat time and 1 on 1 instruction than phase 1. I got in 24-25 runs today!! That is like a half season of auto-x in 1 day, and with 2 national champion instructors. We had 8 class members, so the teacher/ student ratio was excellent.

Things I learned today:

A fwd with stiff rear suspension will easily oversteer during moderate trail braking, and will even spin. Cones are in extreme danger in such instances. ;)

Don’t chop throttle while turning and entering a dip in the parking lot. See above. :)

Stay smooth- slow down to go faster- brake early (and hard), roll throttle on as enter the apex, car will carve much better.

Look ahead on the course much further than seems reasonable- it works.

Set up slaloms to straighten them out so you can stay WOT. Enter a little wider if needed due to course layout, then cut in at the apex/cone.

In the tight sections go a little wide to get a better corner entry angle, make quicker steering transitions.

Unwind the wheel earlier as you exit corner, brush the outside cones. This maximizes speed.

Get closer to every cone- work on doing this well on the passenger side.

Turn less. Make as many straight lines as possible to maximize acceleration.

Don’t shift- stay in 2nd, even in the slow stuff. If it is slow and tight the hp won’t help anyway.

Only focus on the main cones, usually the pointer cones. Ignore the rest. In most cases the course can be distilled down to 8-9 cones.

For 270* “skidpads” take a little wider entry, brake earlier, roll on gas as you apex right next to the cone.

Smooth throttle application- don’t unbalance the car with light switch type throttle input.

Narrate each next turn to yourself mentally- this forces you to keep looking ahead and to choose a good line.

For high hp fwd, get that car straight before going WOT, or you will suffer from excessive wheelspin.

Focus on smoothness on entire course. Excess tire squealing is lost time.

Ask experienced drivers to drive with you, as driver and passenger.

I learned some other things too, but this is all that comes to mind right now.

Joe

Originally posted by joereitman
Don’t shift- stay in 2nd, even in the slow stuff. If it is slow and tight the hp won’t help anyway.
B]

Do you guys do this? In my GTI I basically kept it in 1st the entire time except for some of the larger courses which allowed for higher speeds. Are others keeping the car in 2nd or is this more for FWD DSMs concerned about traction?

2nd is my general all purpose gear. The shifting between 1st and 2nd is actually longer than just accepting the lag/hp drop and keeping the driving smooth. This is in most course designs. However there are always designs and areas that a shift is necessary.

This was one of the points where I was not in 100% agreement with the instructors. In configurations where the beginning was tight, I stayed in 1st a little while, until steering assist cutout above 5k became excessive. Once I go to a manual steering system, I will probably use 1st more. The biggest problem in 1st is wheelspin- with awd it would be less than fwd.

Joe

am i too late for this topic?OMG

i've run autox out in colorado and arizona a couple times last season. ofcourse it was my first season and i sucked really bad. but overall i'll take it anyday over drag.

as far as 1gs, check out jake latham's 1g. he has a link under co.dsm and google search opens his page. very nice car. he places top 3 on the points every year.

alot of the courses run at elevation are more v8 friendly. long sweeping turns and striaghts. so theres a few times you get to see 3rd gear. but i have to agree that 2nd is the go to gear.

hi im new to scca racing, im not even in it but want to race in the compotiention so very bad. I dont know how to start the carrer in it. i would like to start there and work my way into speedvision GT racing. right now i have an 92 laser rs AWD an 90 laser 1.8 plan on getting an 90-94 turbo FWD dsm witch one would be best and how do i get started in the racing the racing scene. is soloII the same as road racing on a track. :confused: :laser: thanks in advance.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back