The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Rix Racing

SCCA AutoX

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neuralracing

15+ Year Contributor
Jul 16, 2003
San Juan, Puerto Rico, Central_America
Anyone use there 1G AWD for Autoxing... my question is What class do they put us in if we have a "JDM" engine with a Big 16G and 550 Inj.? The local club here in Puerto Rico gives a 7 point penalty on engine swaps... up to 14 points before you are moved up to the next class. A stock turbo DSM runs in the E class if I am not mistaken. How does an AWD 1G do when compared to the competition?

I'm just getting into autocross myself. I've been to a few non SCCA events so far and plan on going to my first SCCA event this weekend. As far as I can tell from the rule book that big 16g is going to put you into Street Mod. I plan on running novice as long as possible, I think its 3 events, then I'll be getting my ass kicked in street mod. There are some insanely fast cars in my area that run that class, and every one's on R compound tires except me, I'll be on street tires. It's a pretty much anything goes class.

"7 point penalty on engine swaps... up to 14 points before you are moved up to the next class."

I have never heard of that sort of penalty contingeny in SCCA Solo II, How are they quantifying the point penalty.. time, seconds added to your lap time? Do they have judges or something... seem weird unless its non SCCA club with thier own scoring system.

You'ld be in Street Modified SM with your set up. And yes it helps tremendously to have R compound.

Have fun out there!, My local club is putting on a 24Hour AUtoX event this weekend! 12:00 PM Sat to 12:00 pm Sunday. LOts of Laps :) http://www.ccrsolo2.org/

later
Todd
http://charlottedsmclub.com.tripod.com/

"How does an AWD 1G do when compared to the competition?"

Thats a loaded question... As you may be figuring out alot/most of it has to do with the Driver. (You will always go faster with more seat time) Otherwise with your set up your pretty dissadvantaged to the competition. Of course that all depends of who shows up.

IMO the 2G suspension is superior to the 1G. But each has its pro's and con's. Also Big 16g's don't have the spool to get you out of the low speed turns quickly and by the time the boost comes on you gotta hit the brakes again. I have a 95 GST w/an FP Big 28 that I campaign in Street Modified. I have not been beat by a AWD 1G yet in my state. 1 came within .5 sec of me (an eternity on course, probably driver error)(I placed 2nd in the State Championship in SM and ESP 2 years in a row in NC and would have noticed a fast 1G) ((My best freind and his 95 GSX Won the Championship the same years)) We RULE SM here.

Don't throw the Towel in Just yet. Focus on Suspension and getting the car as neutral as possible. ( Tune some oversteer into the car with higher rear tire preassures (helps the car rotate) Get some sticky tires. I don't know why but I've never seen a 1G w/a Big 28 on it but that is the quintisential AutoX turbo. Get one, the ported ones flow just like a Big 16G but spool up much sooner.

Most recently Kent and I have had some problems with the BMW M3's in SM, THe ultimate Driving machine appropriatly modded is REAL tough competition if the driver is up to snuff. I'm almost thinking of choosing a RWD car of that sort for next year. YOu simply don't have to overcome as may obsticles with handling inherent to DSM (lack of -camber etc.)

So as you can tell your question is kinda of 'Relative'. With the right set up and driver skill it is possible to be competive with any car. Just make sure your having fun and get to know the fast drivers in your area, you'll get there.

Later
Todd
http://charlottedsmclub.com.tripod.com/

Hello everyone, I just joined here so it's a litte late! Trctnless pretty much nailed it on the head with everything he said. (And it’s also cool to see fellow dsm autocrossers ;))

As someone already mentioned, SCCA does not deal with a points system. I’ve only seen this used in local autox clubs and in Canada. In scca, a stock turbo dsm is placed in DS, while the Street Prepared class is ESP. I’m not sure of the Prepared class, but with an aftermarket turbo, you can run in Street Mod (SM) if you run with the scca. Right now as Trctnless mentioned the M3s are at the top of SM judging by this year’s national.

What I’ve heard about the 1Gs is that their power steering can cut out at higher RPMs during an autox run, so don’t be surprised if all of a sudden the steering wheel is harder to turn. Nothing is wrong with the car, it just requires more effort, so be ready if it happens. I’ve heard this is mainly a 1G issue, but I have experienced it cutting out once it a very tight chicane on my 2g.

Other than that, you have awd on your side since it comes in handy the more power you have. Even so, you’ll still experience the inside wheel(s) spinning on some occasions for brief periods of time. At first by far the biggest factor in autox is the driver, as you’ll see the biggest improvements by just getting better at it. Secondly are tires, since R compounds are about 1.5 to 2.0 seconds quicker than good street tires on a 45-60 second course. But it all comes down to the level of competition in your region that can also determine how will you do. Here in Atlanta we have 200+ drivers at our events, including some very experienced drivers and past national champs. Our SM class sees good numbers (usually 10+ cars) but it’s not really close to speed to SM’s true potential. When I used to run in STX (street tire only class), at most of the events I could have won SM as well with the same times. Now I’ll also start running SM due to the latest toys I put on the car, which includes a T28. ;) The only bad part now is having to start bringing my old R1s with me to the events and having to change tires again! Running on street tires in STX for the last couple of years was such a joy after coming from previous years of running R compounds in DS! (with another car) So go out there and have fun and keep running events. And running at first on street tires actually teaches you more about driving your car, too.

Trctnless, a friend from NC convinced me to come up and run the end of the month scca event at Charlotte. You running that? Would be cool to see another DSM, since even with all the cars running the Atlanta scca events I am usually the only dsm to show up!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back