The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

420A scarred cam

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

G2Tuner

Probationary Member
Aug 10, 2014
Largo, Florida
Okay so here's the story. About 2 years ago I had a 97 eclipse gs 5speed hatchback. Nothing special but loved that car with a passion. But I needed something a bit bigger due to my gf always having her nephew over so I sold it to my buddy. Well now about a month ago he ran her out of oil like a dipshit and scarred the lobes on the cam and I just bought it back for 300$ (lkq price) so now I need to know if doing so would have caused the valves to get smacked or if I might be safe? *planning on swapping out internals and bottom end and boosting* so any info on the cam issue would be helpful! Thankyou!

atleast go through the engine and check everything out. all bearing surfaces. obviously replace the cams. everything internally could be fine, but running it out of oil, it won't hurt to take a look. head may need replaced if it tore up the bearing surface

Alright sweet, I plan on grabbing like Evo 8 internals and a 4g63t bottom end or see if my stock can hold like 5 lbs. But awesome, I need a project car LOL

Gotta get torn into it more, been at work sense I brought it home, and I can build a 420a to boost. Not that much of an issue

So that's pretty much a whole swap LOL. What are you guys doing about your tranny? How's it holding up?

well i have a 5 speed. you'd have to find a 5 speed from a 3g eclipse or auto from the galant

I have a 5speed, but I mean if I'm gonna boost the 420a should I swap a tranny also?

building the 420a is an expensive uphill battle, you can get a gst/gsx for next to nothing these days

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back