The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

Scared to drive my car

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GregoryRyan

Supporting Member
Jul 22, 2013
Millstadt, Illinois
Putting this into words I feel completely dumb even writing this but here we go…

I’ve been into DSMs for as long as I could drive and we all know these cars are a dying breed, so how do you all get over driving your car? Over the years I’ve had DSMs in varying degrees of quality but it wasn’t until I picked up my 2GB Talon that I just can’t bring myself to leave my garage. I hate it! Break some interior piece thats impossible to replace? Drive in the rain/snow/inclement weather for fear of rust? I’m so scared that I’ll break something or that some asshole teenager will side swipe me. I feel like a new parent with their newborn baby. I hate the fact that I have this beautiful car and that I can’t seem to get over the fact that something bad will happen to it.

I know it’s dumb, it’s an object and it’s meant to be driven gosh darn it! Im seriously to the point where I feel like if I can’t get over this stupidity that I’m going to sell the car. Am I alone? Any tips for dealing with this? Am I justified in thinking this way? If you’re the same way share your story and thought process.

Thanks DSM community!

I sold my evolution 9 that bought new. I said I would own it forever, but fear of it getting vandalized while outside my garage drove me to sell it.
Most people don’t respect their own property or that of others. You are justified in how you feel, but I would keep the car and just drive it when you feel safe to do so. Have a daily driver for the Monday-Friday grind.
I picked up a 1g with 95k miles. It’s likely to never see rain or parked alone for more time than it takes to eat at a restaurant. It’s worth nothing to anybody but me and it’s not replaceable.

I can feel your pain brother. Knowing that most of the parts for these cars are obsolete is scary enough but add the fact that there are some people in cars that don`t know how to drive can send you over the top. While at my Church picnic they had two guys directing the traffic into the park.. The first guys is directing me into a spot while the other is directing a lady who wants to leave . Shes heading right for my side door and I`m screaming for her to stop . I thank God she heard me. Then she looks at me and it is our local MP ( Member of Parliament ) Picnic is over and I`m trying to leave and they send me out on a back road covered in gravel . I`m doing about ten miles an hour to try and keep the dust down when this black Ford F150 goes flying by me like there's no tomorrow . I spent the rest of that day cleaning my interior and still need to remove the vents on the dash to clean them out. There are about five guys who drive a black Ford F150 but not one will admit they where at the park that day ... Being a Christian or not .. that guy deserves a good crack in his bottom lip... Forgive me Lord ....

I sold my evolution 9 that bought new. I said I would own it forever, but fear of it getting vandalized while outside my garage drove me to sell it.
Most people don’t respect their own property or that of others. You are justified in how you feel, but I would keep the car and just drive it when you feel safe to do so. Have a daily driver for the Monday-Friday grind.
I picked up a 1g with 95k miles. It’s likely to never see rain or parked alone for more time than it takes to eat at a restaurant. It’s worth nothing to anybody but me and it’s not replaceable.
I am fortunate enough to daily drive a sti hatch so the Talon won’t ever be daily driven. Just when the opportunity presents itself to be able to drive it I usually opt to not. “The kids might break the door handle” or “the idiot teens driving their daddy’s BMW may rear end me being impatient at a stop light” or hell rock chips, sun damage etc etc. it’s all honestly ridiculous IMO but I just can’t seem to get over it with this car.

I can feel your pain brother. Knowing that most of the parts for these cars are obsolete is scary enough but add the fact that there are some people in cars that don`t know how to drive can send you over the top. While at my Church picnic they had two guys directing the traffic into the park.. The first guys is directing me into a spot while the other is directing a lady who wants to leave . Shes heading right for my side door and I`m screaming for her to stop . I thank God she heard me. Then she looks at me and it is our local MP ( Member of Parliament ) Picnic is over and I`m trying to leave and they send me out on a back road covered in gravel . I`m doing about ten miles an hour to try and keep the dust down when this black Ford F150 goes flying by me like there's no tomorrow . I spent the rest of that day cleaning my interior and still need to remove the vents on the dash to clean them out. There are about five guys who drive a black Ford F150 but not one will admit they where at the park that day ... Being a Christian or not .. that guy deserves a good crack in his bottom lip... Forgive me Lord ....
Good lord I feel your pain. People just don’t care about anyone else but themselves. I often times go to pull into a parking spot with an impatient driver on my ass driving through a school parking lot to then almost t-bone me cause they try to fly around me. Is the 10 seconds worth it?

At what point does it become not worth it. I love this car but to what extent.

Insure it for stated value. Drive away.
I'm with you but I've just come to realize it is what it is....and I have totes full of spare obscure parts. 😁
I have totes as well of parts and even some with new OEM parts still in boxes/bags. Some things just still can’t be replaced or found. Purely finding a chassis that’s not rotted out or torn to shreds/gutted is next to impossible…I know you all know this. You are right though…it is what it is. I need to look into insurance for stated value, I have statefarm and I’m not sure they do that.

Back when I was looking at low mileage GSX's, I got a quote for full coverage insurance on one and wanted to see what they'd give me if I totalled it. They valued it at $4k even being in almost perfect condition. Was going to pay $10k for it. So yea even with the best insurance you won't get what it's truly worth. I've got over $15k in my N/T with the most basic insurance policy they offer. My WRX is the only vehicle I've ever had full coverage on. And after another 5 years I'll downgrade to basic on it too. The insurance companies all seem to think older cars are worthless.

Friends - It's a terrible thing to live in fear.

Here is one thing I can give you - You are smarter, more resourceful, and more resilient than you think you are.

Embrace and enjoy the time you have to spend with your car today - cause the time ain't coming back.

If you do decide - I have this thing, and for damn sure I will use it - do you think you will regret your time if it breaks? - I say NO. You will figure it out. You will know what to do next.

You own a DSM - Don't let it own you.
Cars can smell fear.

I don't have it either but likely next year I will. I'll be damned if something does happen and they give me 3k.
Back when I was looking at low mileage GSX's, I got a quote for full coverage insurance on one and wanted to see what they'd give me if I totalled it. They valued it at $4k even being in almost perfect condition. Was going to pay $10k for it. So yea even with the best insurance you won't get what it's truly worth. I've got over $15k in my N/T with the most basic insurance policy they offer. My WRX is the only vehicle I've ever had full coverage on. And after another 5 years I'll downgrade to basic on it too. The insurance companies all seem to think older cars are worthless.
I guess you're not familiar with a stated value policy. Check it out.

another great reason to have your car as loud as possible. other drivers might not see you but they know your there.

And if you think like me (nobody does) you drive as fast as possible so if you get in a wreck it will hopefully be fatal. Id rather die with my car than live without it.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

I can understand why you feel that way especially the condition/resto you’ve done to it. Have you thought about insurance through Hagerty. Got a quote for $800/year for $15k. Not sure if that’ll help the way you feel but at least you won’t get back $3k God forbid anything should happen. For me, I try to avoid driving after they lay salt down and I’m always on defense when I’m driving. First at a light, I always looks both ways when light turns green. Cross an intersection behind a large vehicle, I’m always watching if someone is turning from the opposite direction so I see what they’re doing. You have to enjoy it but I won’t hate you if she becomes a garage queen.

Last edited:
Thank you all! It’s nice to know that I’m not alone in this feeling. I also know that living in fear isn’t the best and the whole purpose of these cars (cars like these in general) are made to be driven. I’m going to try my best to shift that fear driven thought process towards a more healthy positive mindset.

I appreciate you DSM community.

I was recently struggling with this mindset myself solely because of the insurance value. As others have mentioned, Hagerty seems to be a fairly reasonable option for those of us with a lot to lose on a clean car that gets hit. My quote was $1550/year for a guaranteed value of $25k and a $1k deductible.

I was recently struggling with this mindset myself solely because of the insurance value. As others have mentioned, Hagerty seems to be a fairly reasonable option for those of us with a lot to lose on a clean car that gets hit. My quote was $1550/year for a guaranteed value of $25k and a $1k deductible.
That really isn't that horrible, I think I was paying around $1100 for $25K valuation on my car in 2014. Since my junk has essentially been a paperweight the last couple years it has had no need for anything like this. Again, if I am paying out that much for insurance, I am damn well driving my car and enjoying it. If you aren't, well, you can just build it into your living room like one of the couple RX-7 guys way back in the day with their FD3S CYM's LOL,
Here is one of the them, I couldn't find the other picture anymore as it has been 20 years.
Pic Link - https://i684.photobucket.com/albums/vv201/RCCAZ_1/Ivanpics_Page_5.jpg

That really isn't that horrible, I think I was paying around $1100 for $25K valuation on my car in 2014. Since my junk has essentially been a paperweight the last couple years it has had no need for anything like this. Again, if I am paying out that much for insurance, I am damn well driving my car and enjoying it. If you aren't, well, you can just build it into your living room like one of the couple RX-7 guys way back in the day with their FD3S CYM's LOL,
Here is one of the them, I couldn't find the other picture anymore as it has been 20 years.
Pic Link - https://i684.photobucket.com/albums/vv201/RCCAZ_1/Ivanpics_Page_5.jpg
Those CYM’s are through the roof in value now and some of the interior parts…forget about it. I don’t blame them for shoving in their living room 😂

I definitely understand, I had my car sideswiped a few years ago and couldn't let it go. Had to cut and reweld the headlight/apron after insurance totaled it.. But I was always doing little stuff here and there to make it mine so I could enjoy driving it. And it's so nice driving it and getting the attention from the people who know what it is and those who don't. I get so many compliments even after the accident having mismatched fender and hood and the headlight a little wonky. People sometimes love it more then I do! I was never afraid to get my hands dirty with the car but after the accident and literally smacking it with a giant hammer to get things straight I was even less afraid.

Enjoy the car, enjoy driving it, and enjoy the attention. Unless you plan on keeping it as an investment, which isn't bad either, get your moneys worth. Think like nothing is ever going to hurt the car. You know you won't intentionally but letting it sit isn't always good either. You might as well enjoy it!

another great reason to have your car as loud as possible. other drivers might not see you but they know your there.

And if you think like me (nobody does) you drive as fast as possible so if you get in a wreck it will hopefully be fatal. Id rather die with my car than live without it.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.
The whole keep your car loud part is a myth. My motorcycle is probably louder than most straight pipe cars and people dont notice me when im right next to their driver door with exhaust blaring. They dont pay attention, ive almost been flattened several times because they rather look at their phone than their mirrors or out the window.

Its like that Family Guy joke about the asian driver "I turn now, GOOD LUCK EVERYBODY!"

Thank you all! It’s nice to know that I’m not alone in this feeling. I also know that living in fear isn’t the best and the whole purpose of these cars (cars like these in general) are made to be driven. I’m going to try my best to shift that fear driven thought process towards a more healthy positive mindset.

I appreciate you DSM community.
The reason I got into these cars in the first place is because it was my dream car. After driving it, I realized that I wouldn't want to drive anything else for the rest of my life. Pretty much entirely got rid of the scare factor for me, but I totally understand the scare factor for you. Personally, if I had a car like yours (mechanically sound, super clean, and everything in between) I'd be willing to risk running into an idiot driver as long as I could show it off, and just enjoy driving it for as long as I can.

This quote by Justin I'm ending this post with sums up my opinions pretty well:
Embrace and enjoy the time you have to spend with your car today - cause the time ain't coming back.

The reason I got into these cars in the first place is because it was my dream car. After driving it, I realized that I wouldn't want to drive anything else for the rest of my life. Pretty much entirely got rid of the scare factor for me, but I totally understand the scare factor for you. Personally, if I had a car like yours (mechanically sound, super clean, and everything in between) I'd be willing to risk running into an idiot driver as long as I could show it off, and just enjoy driving it for as long as I can.

This quote by Justin I'm ending this post with sums up my opinions pretty well:
I truly appreciate the kind words and wisdom.

I have reached out to my insurance company (Statefarm) regarding stated value insurance and they do offer it. Any suggestions on how to determine the value? It seems like it could be driven mostly by me but I’m not sure what to even ask for. I was thinking something in the ballpark of 10/15k. If you have stated value insurance can you please let me know how you determined your value?

I have reached out to my insurance company (Statefarm) regarding stated value insurance and they do offer it. Any suggestions on how to determine the value? It seems like it could be driven mostly by me but I’m not sure what to even ask for. I was thinking something in the ballpark of 10/15k. If you have stated value insurance can you please let me know how you determined your value?
In your case I'd take what you think you could sell it for in today's market plus your parts/labor and then add maybe another $5k or so. When playing with the numbers on Hagerty my quote changed less than $400/year between $15k guaranteed value and $25k. If you're going to swallow $1k+/year on insurance you might as well cover your ass in the event something actually happens.

The more the stated value, the more the premium (monthly payment). You can insure your car for anything you pay for

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back