The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support ExtremePSI

Scared to drive my car

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

In your case I'd take what you think you could sell it for in today's market plus your parts/labor and then add maybe another $5k or so. When playing with the numbers on Hagerty my quote changed less than $400/year between $15k guaranteed value and $25k. If you're going to swallow $1k+/year on insurance you might as well cover your ass in the event something actually happens.
The more the stated value, the more the premium (monthly payment). You can insure your car for anything you pay for
I reached out to my provider and I am going to get some ranges in cost for different values of stated value coverage. With our cars ranging so much in value its hard to determine what the car is "worth".

I just got into the DSM world so I can’t say the same for this car but sometimes I do feel for my other car. I wouldn’t say it’s fear I just know people are so distracted these days you never know what’s going to happen at any time. I sit in some of these new cars and wonder why they have all these extra safety features then remember the world we currently live in.

I’m lucky enough that I only drive about 5-6K miles a year on the high end so my chances of something happening are slim compared to others that spend twice as much time on the road as I do.

At the end of the day, life is short. I’d rather drive the cars I enjoy driving.

I used to have that mindset too. My AWD Talon was my favorite DSM of them all, and the only one I ended up keeping. After I had it painted and body work done, I became paranoid. But then I got rear ended. Damage was mostly cosmetic but the car was no longer perfect. A few years later, someone backed their hitch right into my hood. It was in a public parking lot and happened while I was inside the store. No note of course. Store security cameras only showed it was a lifted truck but footage was too grainy to make out details. Then one winter I put the car into a guardrail at 55mph (my fault). She survived and I repaired all the damage myself, but she's never quite been the same. Finally, the guys at Firestone Tires somehow got the driver door stuck on the front quarter panel. Instead of trying to fix it, they just forced the door and ruined the paint. After all this, I no longer have any fear. Don't get me wrong, I poured a lot into this car and it means a lot to me, so I drive it like I ride my motorcycle (hyper-aware and pretend I'm invisible), but I'm also ready for the day it is totaled by some punk in a Subaru or a bimbo watching her TikTok.

So enjoy the fruits of your labor and have fun today. That way, if anything happens, the good memories are already secured.

Just want to add to the conversation as a person in the insurance industry be careful using stated value vs agreed value. Sometimes stated value means that is the most the insurance company will pay but If something does happen they will actually pay actual cash value which as we all know is inaccurately low from KBB for instance. The stated value is just the ceiling that they won't pay above.
Agreed value is when you actually know you will get at least what you and the insurance company have agreed to as the value.
Just want to make sure people shopping for these policies understand what they are getting and don't have an awful surprise if the worst happens.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back