The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners

• Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support Southbay Fuel Injectors

Scanned Cad Data

2gSpyder4g64

Freelancer
Dec 28, 2009
Mexico City, Central_America
Hi guys, Long time DSMer New Freelancer here, so let me introduce myself.

I'm Pepe from Mexico and I got my first DSM at 16, and that's what got me interested in studying Automotive and Transportation Design, I did some of my student work at Chrysler Mexcio Designing accessories for the JK Wrangler, then I got a job as A design engineer at an industrial valve factory, where my job was to design new valves and then machine the molds for casting, I bought some of the disused machines they had and opened my own machine shop. where I have been making parts for DSM and Evos, but only sell them locally.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now with that out of the way. A friend is selling some of the equipment of his shop, and that includes a fancy Artec 3D scanner.
He's willing to let me finance it, and the only way it makes financial sense is to get enough work to justify the expense.

I saw this as a good opportunity to keep the aftermarket for these cars alive.

My current goal is to get at least 10 people to commit to $30 a month to be able to start this project, that way I can pay some of the financing for the scanner and make time to scan and process the parts.
My plan is to scan as many parts as possible and relese them in a weekly or monthy basis.
I have my 2g GSX in pieces for a rebuild so it's a good starting point.
The Models will be uploaded in OBJ format fully textured.

I have been debating what would be the best way to manage files and subscription, I was thinking that patreon would be a good option, or a google drive + paypal folder? I'm not really sure as this is the first time I'm doing something like this. I'd like to hear your thoughts on this.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here are some test scans with parts that I had lying around.
(i hope the gifs work, if not just to the video below)

giphy.gif
giphy.gif
giphy.gif
giphy.gif
giphy.gif

I made a Video to show how this files can be used to desing new parts or check stuff. they are already up to 1-1 scale.
Please excuse all the "ermms" and "uhmms" as not always i get to speak english so i was a bit nervous. Hope everything i said is clear in the video.

Here you can see the finished part of that video.
124389911_205323294543134_2278427998422049244_n.jpg?_nc_ht=instagram.fmex11-3.fna.fbcdn.jpg

All coments and questions are welcome.

And Thanks for reading such a long and unusual post.

cornboy

Proven Member
Feb 28, 2020
Manhattan, Kansas
If you get a patreon for this, I'm definitely ready to support it. Just please once you finish release these to the public, it would be great to help other freelancers in other countries design products.

Kai Hefner

Freelancer
Jun 21, 2018
Calgary, AB_Canada
I'm in. As long as you take requests for what to scan, I need a few large items and prototyping costs for larger items start to add up.

2gSpyder4g64

Freelancer
Dec 28, 2009
Thanks to all the people that replayed and also who liked the post! I've been scanning more stuff, but I haven't processed the data yet.

Could i say we have 4 people in? LOL

Keep the comments and questions going as i love to answer them.

If you get a patreon for this, I'm definitely ready to support it. Just please once you finish release these to the public, it would be great to help other freelancers in other countries design products.

Thanks! That's definitely something I also would like to do, it would have to be discussed with the people who contribute if the models get a public release.

I'm interested in a scan of 6 bolt and 7 bolt heads, needs to have the ports in good detail. Trans cases would be good too.

Working on a 7 Bolt Head Scan Right now. I'm going to release a more in depth video on how to use the data to design stuff, like intake and exhaust manifolds. It just takes a while to record and edit while I'm working on other things in the shop.

manifolds.png

Excuse the lack of model detail, i'm trying to make a quick an easy to follow video.

I'm in. As long as you take requests for what to scan, I need a few large items and prototyping costs for larger items start to add up.

Yes! Requests are something I'm going to do, I want it to be fair for all the people who support the project and have something that's useful for everyone.

Id be down if it was on patron as well. I'd like to see some one make a nice replacement for Galant knuckles for the brembo swap, And 2g drip rails.im sure there's a 1000 other things I can't think of as of now. Lol

Thanks! I'm starting to consider pattern as a good way of going forward with this. And man I know I would also like to get my hands on a set of nice drip rails.I would love to make all kinds of parts for this car, but being realistic being almost a 1-man band is not going to happen, so having access to this kind of data could help bring a lot of new parts to the market.

What kind of update would you guys like to see, while we get more people on board?
I would really appreciate if someone helps me get the word out for this, even if they don't help funding the project, it helps because the more people that sees this the better. :)

Last edited:

Junk_GSX

Probationary Member
Dec 2, 2019
Elk Grove, California
This is awesome! I'm currently in my 3rd year studying mechanical engineering and I have thought about how useful it would be to have scans of parts. I've used Solidworks for some projects, including a formula SAE car, but designing around accurate models for a platform I care about would be a gamechanger. Even if only a few people have access to the models, it would probably kickstart a bunch of new ideas. There could be designs for exhaust manifolds made for optimal flow, new relocation kits, a bunch of new replacement parts, etc. Just the thought of all the possible innovations is exciting! I wish I could pledge for the monthly subscription but I simply can't afford it. College and project cars don't mix LOL Good luck! I really hope this works out!

ec17pse

Freelancer
Nov 1, 2008
London, UK, Europe
Id be down if it was on patron as well. I'd like to see some one make a nice replacement for Galant knuckles for the brembo swap, And 2g drip rails.im sure there's a 1000 other things I can't think of as of now. Lol
Been looked i to by a few including me and its a costly job. Well over 2k a set! Dont think many will be willing to pay that for a few KG weight loss. Each one weighs in at near 7kg alone. I have a nissan GTR forged alloy knuckle and its about 6kg and the billet ones coming in at near 7kg! So going billet dont always mean weight loss but what you can work towards would be better vs weight loss.

Remember steel vs alloy is huge in strength so to gain the strenght in alloy you need it thicker and denser so you will be using more material and likely not loose alot of weight vs steel BUT..... You can make them accept a wider tire by about 15mm more before having knuckle to shock clearance issues and you can add in adjustable steering arms and brake caliper mounting pads for a wider range of calipers to bolt onto.

2gSpyder4g64

Freelancer
Dec 28, 2009
Been looked i to by a few including me and its a costly job. Well over 2k a set! Dont think many will be willing to pay that for a few KG weight loss. Each one weighs in at near 7kg alone. I have a nissan GTR forged alloy knuckle and its about 6kg and the billet ones coming in at near 7kg! So going billet dont always mean weight loss but what you can work towards would be better vs weight loss.

Remember steel vs alloy is huge in strength so to gain the strenght in alloy you need it thicker and denser so you will be using more material and likely not loose alot of weight vs steel BUT..... You can make them accept a wider tire by about 15mm more before having knuckle to shock clearance issues and you can add in adjustable steering arms and brake caliper mounting pads for a wider range of calipers to bolt onto.
I totally agree, not an easy or cheap job, but if the goal was getting a replacement for the galant knucles there is no need to go billet, or forged, simple presure casting on steel will be good enough for most people/ street cars looking for an upgrade.

This is awesome! I'm currently in my 3rd year studying mechanical engineering and I have thought about how useful it would be to have scans of parts. I've used Solidworks for some projects, including a formula SAE car, but designing around accurate models for a platform I care about would be a gamechanger. Even if only a few people have access to the models, it would probably kickstart a bunch of new ideas. There could be designs for exhaust manifolds made for optimal flow, new relocation kits, a bunch of new replacement parts, etc. Just the thought of all the possible innovations is exciting! I wish I could pledge for the monthly subscription but I simply can't afford it. College and project cars don't mix LOL Good luck! I really hope this works out!
Thanks! i would love to make this available to everyone for free, but i have to pay for the scanner. Even at the target price of 30 bucks i will end paying around 3/4 of the total price.
Maybe a lower price would bring more people in the boat, and make it easier to archive the payment target? :confused:
When/If this gets funded i'll try to release all the data here.

As an update, i'm still scanning more parts each week. but haven't had much time to process the data.
Some scans are +40 GBs of raw data that needs to be processed in order to get something usable of them, Files are so big it even takes minutes to use the save and load commands.
I also had to take a side gig to be able to keep the shop going, but that leaves me with even less time.:|

ec17pse

Freelancer
Nov 1, 2008
London, UK, Europe
I totally agree, not an easy or cheap job, but if the goal was getting a replacement for the galant knucles there is no need to go billet, or forged, simple presure casting on steel will be good enough for most people/ street cars looking for an upgrade.

Thanks! i would love to make this available to everyone for free, but i have to pay for the scanner. Even at the target price of 30 bucks i will end paying around 3/4 of the total price.
Maybe a lower price would bring more people in the boat, and make it easier to archive the payment target? :confused:
When/If this gets funded i'll try to release all the data here.

As an update, i'm still scanning more parts each week. but haven't had much time to process the data.
Some scans are +40 GBs of raw data that needs to be processed in order to get something usable of them, Files are so big it even takes minutes to use the save and load commands.
I also had to take a side gig to be able to keep the shop going, but that leaves me with even less time.:|
Its not a replacement but more of away to run wider wheels and tires without the clearance issues. We are still limited anyway due to shock space at a certain point but getting another 10-15mm would be great and no need to modify or weld the forged oem ones

NWHTanK

Proven Member
Apr 23, 2011
Odessa, Missouri
As much as I would like to have billet knuckles, I think smaller , less costly and discounted would be in order. I don't own a spyder anymore. But somthing like the window switch bezel . Spyders are different. They have switches for both doors and both quarter panel windows. And since they were produced less ,they are very hard to find in good condition. And be 3d printed.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Feal Suspension Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com OHM Racing Raven Fabrication RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing SouthBay Fuel Injectors STM Tuned VR Speed Factory

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Latest Classifieds