The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

SBR-2g20g?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OneFastEclipse

20+ Year Contributor
Jun 20, 2002
Canton, Ohio
Alright guys. I understand that people ask so many questions on which turbo to get and I have searched out the wazzoo. The problem is there are just so many different routes that you can take and I'm not sure which will get me to where I want to be in the best fashion. Basically I want to upgrade my turbo and want to do it right the first time. I want to run 11's some day and maybe possibly 10's with a hell of alot of work. At first I looked into the Big T28 as it is a direct replacement of the T25 and with the right work should grant 11 sec slips but would be very hard to push 10's. Then of course it has a big rival over in the mitsubishi line the EVO big16g which could possibly run 10's but still probably more than likely low 11's. Now just recently I found this 20g turbo over at slowboy racing that looks very promising. It says it is a direct bolt on so does that mean I need no instal kit? From what I have heard 20g's can hit upwards of 500hp. Does that apply to this one? My money limit is about 900 bucks and really don't want to go over that. What out there is gonna suit me the best in this price range? Thanks alot guys.

You have more issues than just your turbo decision if you think a 16G is gonna be in the 10's or even low 11's. How about you focus on say, 13's first then worry about 11 second timeslips. I would recommend any of SBR's turbos, and I'd get a TD06H turbine wheel in that 20G if that's what you decide upon. Though don't expect to hit 10's with a 20G.

You are really overdoing the estimates on these turbos. I'm %99 sure no one has gone 10s in the T28 or 16g. 20g is generally good for 425ish at most 450hp. According to your profile you are stock right now so you have ALOT of research to do before you worry about turbos. Just follow the guide on this page for now.

I'm not tryin to be a smart ass or anything but did I say I wanted to run 10 or 11's tomorrow? No, I said someday. Nor did I say it was easy to run 10's on a T28 or 16g. I do happen to know quite a bit about modifying these cars (own a GST and a GS). I am just looking to upgrade something that I won't have to upgrade again. Is that turbo for 899 a decent buy or is there something in that price range that I would be better off with? That's all I am asking. Thanks

Yes this is a decent turbo, HOWEVER. I was looking at buying one of these and called slowboy about a week ago and they said they dont do this 2g20g anymore. Not sure whats up with that uhmm....

Anyway talk to them about a 20g w/ a TDo6 Housing and I'm sure they can work with you on it. Talk to Dan or Mike. I am getting a 20g from them myself. So whenever they can get it installed (hopefully soon) I will let you know how I like it.

Your biggest problem is going to be finding a turbo for under $900, at least if your looking for a 500hp turbo. Most 20g's i know of handle around 400-450 max. If you are SET on hitting 10's or low 11's you may even want to be looking bigger!

Well, 10's on the turbo alone isn't exactly nessesary. Really if I could nab a high 11 that would be cool and I could get the rest with a little juice. What turbo do you guys recomend for that? Probably the Evo16g huh? That's been pretty popular lately. If so, where's the cheapest place to locate that and the instal kit? Thanks!

Why would you even bother with a 16g. For a 16G to run a high 11, you better damn know what the hell you're doing. Why not get a larger turbo and run 11's while granny shifting and not double cluthcing like you should be. There are tons of internally gated large turbos for around $900 that will get you there. We can't make up your mind for you. Go to Slowboys site and have a look around and go to AGP's site and check out their RS series. There's also the PTE turbos but I personally wouldn't buy one.

Why in the world are people bashin the PTE turbo's lately. As i a master distributor for them i can tell you they are tight! They have upgraded to a 360 degree thrust bearing and are releasing GT wheel equipped SCM turbo's. The majority of the turbo;s that go bad is because of the install and where people are running the oil. Most people are still tapping the head and its not enough oil pressure. PTE is a great turbo and they are one of the only places that i have personally delt with that honors their warranty if needed. Besides the fact that the PTE is by far the best turbo for the dollar. HANDS DOWN! Just wait till these GT turbo's sell. I have 3 local customers that we are about to install GT3251's and we can't wait!

As far as the 20g. Agree with above. TD06H is the only way to go. The Lag on the standard wheel is excessive.

Keep in mind like mentioned above to hit the kind of #'s you are looking for you have to be TUNED! Tuning is key. You can slap a t-1,000,000,000
and still run a 13 without having it tuned.

Best of luck and feel free to drop some questions my way as i deal with most of the Big Names in the Turbos

^^these are opinions based on personal, first hand experience.:thumb:

Martin Ruiz
The Speed Factor

Originally posted by prostreetdsmx1

As far as the 20g. Agree with above. TD06H is the only way to go. The Lag on the standard wheel is excessive.

Did you mean the TD05H? The TD06H would have more lag over the TD06 and TD05H.

Originally posted by prostreetdsmx1
Why in the world are people bashin the PTE turbo's lately. As i a master distributor for them i can tell you they are tight! They have upgraded to a 360 degree thrust bearing and are releasing GT wheel equipped SCM turbo's. The majority of the turbo;s that go bad is because of the install and where people are running the oil. Most people are still tapping the head and its not enough oil pressure. PTE is a great turbo and they are one of the only places that i have personally delt with that honors their warranty if needed. Besides the fact that the PTE is by far the best turbo for the dollar. HANDS DOWN! Just wait till these GT turbo's sell. I have 3 local customers that we are about to install GT3251's and we can't wait!

Keep in mind like mentioned above to hit the kind of #'s you are looking for you have to be TUNED! Tuning is key. You can slap a t-1,000,000,000
and still run a 13 without having it tuned.

Best of luck and feel free to drop some questions my way as i deal with most of the Big Names in the Turbos

^^these are opinions based on personal, first hand experience.:thumb:

Martin Ruiz
The Speed Factor

Well not sure i would trust someone who is saying the lag on the 20G with a "standard" wheel is excessive. The laggiest 20G you'll get is a TD06H, but the massive top end is more than enough to make up for the additional lag.
Regardless, to the original poster, do some research, like I says we can't choose your turbo. Do your OWN research, there are hundreds of threads on the various turbos.

i meant to make the point that the H wheel is worth the lag and i dont feel that the standard is with the other options that are available. And i agree do your research and choose what is best for you based on your needs.

Martin

i have the sbr 2g20g tdo5h. ported and clipped 15 degrees.

turbo spools like a 14b, but as far as pwr goes, im untuned. ill let you know later.

if i could do it over again, id just get a fp3052, green, or 50 trim.

for the price/power you're looking for, I would go with an SBR 20g, or a TCC godzilla series... both of them are going to make alot of heat up at 425 horsepower, make sure youve got a good intercooler to keep that cool, otherwise you'll just be dumping timing to fight spark knock.

ONEFAST I have a sbr 2g20g and it is impressive. Now I doesnt pull like a 20g, but it spools faster. And despite what all these people think I feel this turbo could get deep into the 11's (which I intend to do this year). Granted by itself this turbo would break the high 13 but with right fuel system, fmic, and tuning, it is completely possible

Originally posted by theboostking
ONEFAST I have a sbr 2g20g and it is impressive. Now I doesnt pull like a 20g, but it spools faster. And despite what all these people think I feel this turbo could get deep into the 11's (which I intend to do this year). Granted by itself this turbo would break the high 13 but with right fuel system, fmic, and tuning, it is completely possible

In your opinion, is the 2g20g a quality built turbo?? Does SBR have a good reputation for their products?? If you could go back and redo your purchase, would you still get the 2g20g?? Let me know.. Also, about when does your spool completely and hit full boost??

Thanks -Paul-

I use SBR whenever possible, for whatever thats worth. Everyone will have thier own opinion though. I've run 3 turbos from them already, and I will be going there for my 4th ;) Always shop around though. I know why they came out with the 2g20g, but I'm not sure I agree with it. It allows you to run a 20g sized turbo, but without all the hassle of FMIC and the piping involved. In my opinion, its just allowing people to be lazy, and then they will eventually complain and say they wish they went bigger. Get some sack up and do the FMIC at the same time or before upgrading to a 20g sized turbo. I saw substantial gains with the FMIC on a 16g as well. Intercooling is one of the biggest factors in how much power you can make on a given setup. Its not the part to ####y out on. ;)

Additionally, I ran a tdo6h 20g for some time, and it was my favorite turbo thus far. Ran it to a 11.8@117, and 119mph. For the potential I saw in that turbo, I should be embarassed of those numbers ;) Hell, it ran 12.0@117 on pump. With a big FMIC I was also able to run 25 psi daily on 93 octane. Killer street/strip turbo IMHO, FWIW.

Originally posted by 95GSXracer
Additionally, I ran a tdo6h 20g for some time, and it was my favorite turbo thus far. Ran it to a 11.8@117, and 119mph. For the potential I saw in that turbo, I should be embarassed of those numbers ;) Hell, it ran 12.0@117 on pump. With a big FMIC I was also able to run 25 psi daily on 93 octane. Killer street/strip turbo IMHO, FWIW.

What A/R was your turbine side, 7 cm^2 or 8 cm^2?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back