The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

SBC Clutch too thick?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

0.610"-0.612" will work just fine with a healthy hydraulic system. I have seen a few disks that SBC had the marcel too curved (the cushion for the disk) that can cause drag. In that case I have the customers send the disk back to SBC and they can redo the marcel and flatten it, resurface the kevlar friction material and check the pressure plate as well.

So I am now experiencing a 2nd to 3rd gear above 4000rpm drag when I am shift quicker than normal speed. Everything was working fine prior to this and the car has mostly sat with few start ups and quick drives maybe 5 times every two weeks.

No other grinds, clutch dragging symptoms or anything else just this 2nd to 3rd gear grind above 4000rpms. Now, It's been almost a while since I last drained and filled the trans maybe 15k miles in a 2 year period. I am using Redline MT-90 that was recommended by Shep (at that time) and Tim Zimmer. Could it be just time to drain and fill trans fluid? It's a shep stage 3 built from a new trans and properly adjusted SBC TZ-B clutch.

Any ideas? If I drain and fill trans has there been permanent damage done to synchro? If so, I think it's time to give up on my 10 year project and dumping so much money to have it as bulletproof as can be, which thankfully it has been since the build.

Thanks

Either fluid or you need to adjust you clutch pedal at the master cylinder adjustment rod.

Either fluid or you need to adjust you clutch pedal at the master cylinder adjustment rod.
Thanks Tim. I was reading about Motul fluid, any recommendations on it or should I stick to mt 90 again? I'm probably at 300-350whp with evo3 16g.

Either one, you are pretty low HP that either 80w90 will work fine.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back