The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

Saving an injured 1996 Eclipse RS

What should I do to the car?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DarkSolice18

Probationary Member
Dec 22, 2012
Ladson, South_Carolina
Well so far, I've had this little RS for about 2 months now, and things have finally settled down a bit for me. I'm currently on a mission to rescue this car from it's previously ricer owner, first off this is my DSM, and It's staring to grow on me, The previous own installed the most, ignorant and annoying exhaust that backfires like an old ford, it has destroyed red Bride Racing seats with no harness or roll cage, has a cold air intake, Konig rims stock suspension which is why I think I might need a wheelchair soon, and half of the interior pieces are missing mostly in the trunk, and the pieces that aren't missing are painted orange which no painted interior is acceptable :notgood:UNLESS it's done correctly and not by rattle can..I plan on restoring this a bit, right now I have the dash stripped and am currently fabric wrapping it, the headliner, door panels, and interior quarter panels black, I have the cluster out and repainted is flat black and recovered the needles white(white nail polish so cheap), and I have planned on acquiring some black bride seats and re-upholstering the back seats, the previous wiring job was such a mess, I think I might jump off a cliff, it' was cut and splice EVERYWHERE!!!:ohdamn: all over every harness in the car I dunno what his plan was but it wasn't a smart one, atleast he left me with A/C and Heat :pray: any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated and anyone in the charleston area is welcome to come help!!!:cool:

Attachments

• Eclipse 1.jpg
    Eclipse 1.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 120
  • eclipse 8.jpg
    eclipse 8.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 111
  • eclipse 6.jpg
    eclipse 6.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 106
  • eclipse 4.jpg
    eclipse 4.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 114
  • eclipse 3.jpg
    eclipse 3.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 108
The main question is, what do YOU want out of the car? Do you want a balls out turbo car? Or do you want something that you can daily drive?

This.

Let's not assume he wants a fast car.

You have a very rare color so that's something to be proud of. Be sure to make the car safe.

My poll vote goes to returning the car to stock and driving it as a cheap daily. It will take a ton of money (and more importantly, time) to make this a nice and fast car. Even if you do get it turbo'd you still have crank windows. :(

After looking closer it appears the car was red from the factory and later the engine bay was painted black and the body durango copper pearl. Ugh... either sell the car or drive it as a daily beater. Financially, it makes little sense to bring that car back to life...

We would I want to buy a Gsx or Gst? not saying they're bad but I love base model's I couldn't afford it at the time, I just bought a 2013 Lancer that's my daily, we're planning on doing the infamous Evo VII swap on a 99 GS, we have all the stuff for it we got as far as the custom CV axles and we rewired everything, but for this car, it looks like I'm gonna turbo it with 18 lbs as a DD.

These cars are a dime a dozen, no point in saving it, find a better one.

i would save the rs. go thru motor and trans and save yourself money and upgrade it. when i had a 420a-t it stood up against most. i had it running 13-18 lbs for the 3 years ive owned it and its a great investment. but only if your using it for a daily driver in my opinion or if your going for a show car feel. i have a base model too and im in the saaaaaame boat buddy hhahaha

I have one also N/T, Im just going to Get it Panda Painted in the summer and throw a Panda Sticker on the back windshield and remove the 3 piece spoiler and install a touch screen and 2 12" Subwoofers, and Had it Fresh Rimmed already. After that Im done, maybe clean up on interior but Plan to upgrade to a GST or GSX as a Secondary. it will be my 3rd Eclipse. turbo'in out the 420a is almost pointless, with all the money you put in the GS (420a) you could of just bought a GST or GSX and maybe still have money left over to mod that up, comparing to upgrading the 420a Bone stock. My advise.

I vote for a Restoration. In the coming years the car could be worth money since its a rare factory color. Now, my opinion aside I'd like to see a EVO or Kia 4G63 AWD swap.;)

OH! And a talon rear end conversion would be sweet.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back