The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support ExtremePSI

Saturn alternator tensioner bracket

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

H@xtGSX

10+ Year Contributor
Aug 9, 2011
Carlsbad, New_Mexico
I just finished swapping a 96 amp SC2 alternator into my car, and I have to say that the tech article glosses over a glaring problem. Using the stock tensioner bracket is just plain unsafe. I can see hitting a pothole at 70 under boost and jolting the bolt loose from the saddle in the stock bracket. Also, in a 2g, even with all the grinding, the alternator does not have much travel before it hits the OFH. To make it so you won't have to worry about shredding a belt because the tensioner popped loose, you need a shorter bracket with a bolt hole, not a saddle, and a 39" belt. I made mine from 2 x 3/16" flat bar stock. It isn't pretty, but it works a hell of a lot better than the stock one.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

It allows the belt to be tighetned in the short travel you have in a 2g, and it isn't coming loose.

It is not pretty, but it is a heck of a lot more secure. I double nut everything also, just in case.

Everything is very close together with this swap. I feel better knowing the bolt can't slip out though, and this may help someone out with this swap. I know it could be done better, but I had to make this with very basic metal working tools.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back