The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

1G Saturn alternator swap

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ok not reinventing the wheel guys I know this topic has been covered but I'm a guy that likes pics with how-to threads. And I couldn't find a lot on this certain subject so here it is..some of the steps I had to copy and paste when it came to pics because I just forgot to take a picture while doing the swap..

My Saturn alternator swap was done on my 1990 eagle talon. I decided to do this swap after going through 3 reman alternators from autozone that were suppose to be good even tested good but were bad! I also did it because the Saturn alternator was cheaper then an oem replacement and last longer under extreme heat and puts out more Amps then the OEM unit.

1.you will have to do a lil grinding on the alternator itself and on the block were the alternator mounts. i did this with a grinding wheel took 5min
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Next your gonna grind on the block make the shape of A look like B

2. I cut the stock alternator bracket down and drilled a hole in it to mount the alternator to. Obviously before drilling this hole pointed out you wanna keep in mind you need to keep the correct amount of tension on the alternator belt.

3. When wiring the Saturn pigtale up which has 3 wires black,brown and red I did not use the red wire I simply bent the wire up and shrink wrapped it cause I thought it looked cleaner so you can't see it in the pic. The black wire on the Saturn pigtail goes to the yellow wire on the factory alternator harness. The brown wire NEEDS to go to a 12 volt sorce that is turned off and on by the ignition. If you wire the brown wire on the pigtail to the black and white wire on the factory alternator harness the alternator will stay on reguardless if the key is off or on and will drain your battery. YES. In the pic I have the brown wire hooked to a black and white wire but it is a switched 12volt source! The thicker yellowish looking wire that bolted to the stud on the back of the stock alternator also bolts on the stud on the back of the Saturn alternator and now you should have a functioning charging system

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 752
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back