The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support Rix Racing

Saran wrap clear bra

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

housegsx

15+ Year Contributor
May 28, 2004
Greensburg, Pennsylvania
Hello, I get some "interesting" ideas while sitting at my desk doing nothing all day. Let me put this one out there..

How about a clear bra... with saran wrap!?! This wouldn't be meant to be permanent but rather something to only be left on a few days at a time or in between washes. Something to protect the front end of the car a bit from scratches or nicks that you might get after the roads have been treated for snow or for a long trip, etc. Something along those lines.

As a test, I found a roll of saran wrap in the lunch room and decided to start wrapping. I wrapped a painted section of my desk. I thought the plastic wrap might cling well dry, but it did not. I misted my desk with water and applied the piece of saran wrap. I spread it out as well as I could then squeegeed excess water and bubbles out with a thin pad of post-it notes. It really seems to be on good now without any kind of creases or bubbles. Also, my desk shines more. The wrap really brought out the luster of the dull cubicle paint job. I'm going to let it set for a couple hours and begin testing how well it holds with a few tests.

What are your thoughts on actually doing this to my daily driver? Is it going to work? Will it be worth the hassle?

The forum really seems to be lacking a good read today. You can clearly see I'm quite bored so I thought this might conjure up some good discussion.

I can tell you how to do that for almost nothing. Does anyone know what that clear laminate stuff is? It's clear tape basically that come in sheets, with an adheisive on the back. It's made for laminating pictures and stuff. If you could get a bigger sheet of this stuff, and cut to fit, hood, fenders lights, and front bumper It would do the same thing as the link above, and would be better than saran wrap.. I know they sell it at wallmart in 12 inch by 12 inch sheets, but Where can I get larger sheets???

Yea, and if its temporary painters tape works great. Im sure it comes in different colors to be a little less noticeable. Im looking to get the clear vinyl done to my cars front bumper, part of the hood and the lower side skirts.

Consider putting saran wrap on the fenders and front bumper so you don't spill anything on them when working on your car.
I don't work on the car. And Pepsi or beer would wash right off anyways.

Or was that sarcasm... :D

They already make something like this. Its like a clear vinyl. Let me see if I can find the information on it. I'v seen a couple cars that had this done to the front end of there cars and I guess it work good. You could also check out your local car wrap place, I'm sure they could do it for you.

Here you go, here some information.

Paint Protection and 3M Clear Bra for your vehicle. Also known as Rock Guard.

That costs money. I'm just screwing around here. Just wanted to see if I could keep the car perfect for a few more weeks until we get through winter. Then I'm selling it.

Clear vinyl. I never thought of that. But would that cost more than getting the laminate?

It would probally be $50-100 in material. Then if you want it to look good you would have to get it professionally installed. I dont know if you guys have ever tried put vinyl on a car but its not exaclty easy to get it perfect.

It might look ok.:coy: How well it will protect and if it won't blow off is another question.

I do know about the real clear bra. Quality stuff like 3M etc, but that usually cost anywhere from $400-700 to have installed professionally. It'd be worth it if I was keeping the car, but I'm not.

It would probally be $50-100 in material. Then if you want it to look good you would have to get it professionally installed. I dont know if you guys have ever tried put vinyl on a car but its not exaclty easy to get it perfect.

See that's not a bad price. I would install myself to keep costs down. Unless I could find the stuff from 3M for pretty cheap..

I don't think this is going to work. LOL It peeled right off. I have a feeling it wouldn't hold up to wind or rain at all.

The 3M stuff?

Of course it peeled right off, you grabbed it corner and peeled it off right?

I still think it might work...Woulde need a test for durability if you want to do one and write up an article...I would, but don't have the means to buy the stuff...

In all seriousness how much protection do you think the saran wrap would give to the hood.

Here's a test for you:

Wrap your hood in the saran wrap and then find a pebble and throw it at it. Then see if it does any damage.

The only good I could see is if you were taking a long trip in the middle of the summer and wanted the squashed bugs to come off easily.

Then again this does remind me of high school when we wrapped my manager's entire car in saran wrap for his birthday. Man he was pissed!! ROFL

I can personally verify that saran wrap does not stick to a dry car very well, especially on a windy day.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

However, post-it notes do quite well. :thumb:

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

You're selling the DSM? Or is this a different car?

Last edited by a moderator:
->PrOjEcTGS<- said:
In all seriousness how much protection do you think the saran wrap would give to the hood.

Here's a test for you:

Wrap your hood in the saran wrap and then find a pebble and throw it at it. Then see if it does any damage.

Eh, I don't know. I guess it might not help much. I'm just paranoid driving a nice car in the winter. That's why I will sell it in the spring and get something cheap. I don't think I'm going to throw pebbles at it though. I'll just take your word for it. :p

I can personally verify that saran wrap does not stick to a dry car very well, especially on a windy day.

You're selling the DSM? Or is this a different car?

I've come to the conclusion that it doesn't really stick to anything but itself.

And no, I have no plans to sell the DSM, ever. I have an S2000 I want to get rid of.

I've tried the so called 'clear vinyl' on my subaru last year. I bought clear contact paper and it isn't actually very clear (cloudy), so it didn't look very nice. Plus being a vinyl, the cold weather makes it brittle and will make it crack very easily.

I've tried the so called 'clear vinyl' on my subaru last year. I bought clear contact paper and it isn't actually very clear (cloudy), so it didn't look very nice. Plus being a vinyl, the cold weather makes it brittle and will make it crack very easily.

That's what I was talking about...It gets cold and cracks huh...Well that's not what I wanted...

put a thin coat of baby oil on the paint and headlights and dirt and bugs will just rinse off

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back