The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

Sandblasting spark plugs

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

overboosted1g

10+ Year Contributor
Jan 13, 2010
washington, Michigan
So I have a bunch of extra plugs from my snowmobile and I have access to a sand blaster at my auto shop so if I clean the plugs off after sandblasting is it ok to use them.

Sent from my HERO200 using Tapatalk

Yea you should fine. I've sandblasted spark plugs here at school and they were nice and clean and worked perfect. Just make sure not to do it for too long, Only a couple seconds or so.

They are sparkplugs.LOL They are throw away items that are cheap to buy. Why waste your time? Just get some new ones and call it a day.;)

They are sparkplugs.LOL They are throw away items that are cheap to buy. Why waste your time? Just get some new ones and call it a day.;)

Maybe his 2-stroke snowmobile fowls plugs constantly?

Sounds like he needs to spend more time wide open!

Lol trust me I spend more than enough time wide open, I just wanted to save some cash because I have like 100 old plugs from the drag bansee and figured if I could recycle them it would be awesome.

Sent from my HERO200 using Tapatalk

Ya it is perfectly safe, just dont sand blast the ceramic part or it could cause problems. The way I always did it was grip the cermic part with my fist and just expose the threads and electrodes and give them a quick blast, just to get the crud off. If you sit to long then the ceramic insalation on the electrode end gets fawked and you compromise the heat transfer between that and the casing of the plug to the head.

Just be sure to double check the gap and be doubly sure there is no media trapped around the insulator.

Or fix the problem.

Not that this relates to the OP, but carbed 2 strokes can get a little rich depending on the weather. Because it's a gas/oil mix they will foul plugs very easily if they aren't run hard.

It used to happen to a buddy of mine every time he took his MX bike on a trail ride or something. For whatever reason, i never had the same issue with my 2 stroke bikes. Now everyone rides 4-stroke so it's not really an issue.

So so cheap.

Not really being cheap. If you go through 20 plugs a season at $5-$8 a plug, it adds up.

Small engine plugs aren't $2 each like the NGKs we use in DSMs, and they go through them much quicker in some applications.

I've been bead blasting my plugs for 15+ years with zero problems. This is on air and water cooled 2 stroke MX bikes, 2 stroke sleds and so on...

I've always been skeptical of material embedding itself in the white insulator part of the plug, but never actually encountered such a case. Make sure you clean really well with brake cleaner after you sand blast, then blow off with high pressure air and you will be golden :thumb:

Same here, When I used to run my dirtbike I was working at a cylinder head shop. We had 55 gallon drums full of spark plugs. I would grab a handful that I would know would work, Sandblast them and blow them off with air and re-use them in my dirtbike.

They dont make these for nothing!!
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Sand blasting plugs is fine. Just make sure they are clean and media free before installation.

To those who say "how cheap" the plugs for my 450r honda Quad are 8.99$ a piece. You can fowl out a plug really quick. Especially if you get a bad batch of gas. These are not NGK 1.50 copper core plugs. They are compact, iridium core, high output plugs and if you have enough of the, it becomes economical to just sand blast them.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back