The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Salvageable??

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RacerTilDeath

Probationary Member
Jan 25, 2016
Vancouver, Washington
So when taxes come back. Im searching for a new vehicle. A family friend has a 97 GSX for sale. The downside, it was t-boned. Possible frame damage below the driver side seat, and possible front pillar. Obvious cosmetic damage. And whatever is related to the rear wheel (looks like it has a slight negative camber (dont know if it is always a "positive camber while it moves") The car does run flawlessly and drives in its current condition. Im curious what are your opinions on if its worth putting time and effort into it to get it road worthy. This will not be my only vehicle during the repairs, so that isnt a worry. I cant say for sure what all has been done to the vehicle. All i really know is 16g turbo with the rebuild. 6k on the motor. 12k on the tranny. Rebuild and work on the engine were done at English Racing. Not sure the mileage on the body. Along with a set of wheels and tires. That is all i really know for "aftermarket". Price is $2500 to me. Im not positive if its clean/salvage title although. Anyways, Lets me know what your guys and gals opinions are. Is it worth the effort.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Attachments

• IMG_6942.JPG
    IMG_6942.JPG
    33.3 KB · Views: 96
Oh also, not sure if it matters, But the car does has a full exhaust and a bigger FMIC. All done at English

$2500 seems awfully steep! Sure he put money into getting the tranny and engine rebuilt but you know the saying "you never get back what you put in" especially after you get t-boned. For reference there is a clean 70k mile tsi by my area for $3500, not too far from you hint hint.

Based on the last picture which shows a Cam Angle Sensor it looks like a 6-bolt swap, which is a bonus. If the motor was built by English you can be assured that it was done right; I've been utilizing them for years and they definitely know the 4G63 platforms well. That being said... There is so much damage that I don't think it would be worth doing anything other than parting it out. If you were to take that into a body shop they would probably charge you 2-3 times what you're about to pay for it and that's only if the frame isn't damaged.

Would buying a car (with a straight body/frame where needed) would as an option? or to much trouble for what its worth?

here is a partial parts list.

August 2009
85% Tread on Eagle F1 GS-D3 RunOnFlats 245/40ZR17 (4) @ $423 - 15% tread = $359.55 X 4 = $1,438.20
Konig Unknown Wheel 17 inch $580.00

At approx. 119K:
New turbo intercooler: $1008.00
Custom built 3 inch straight back racing exhaust and catalytic converter: $360.00
New 3 inch down pipe and header: $339.96
Custom Short shifter: $130.29

Tranny rebuild to include system flush: $943.70 (Sept 2009)
New Shift rail: $280.00
New Shift cable: $128.17
New Gear oil: $30.00

Engine rebuild: $1210.00 (Feb 2010)
New Water pump/Head gasket and rings: $481.12
New Mini Pro Lite 220 degree coolant light: $60.00
New Electric Antenna: $60.00
New Evo III 16G turbo: $599.99
HKS Race kit (Flanges, 16g outlet, pipe and connection) $1,182.23
HKS Blow Off Valve (BOV): $140.00
New Fuel Pump: $121.55
New Timing belt: $80.00
New Spark plug wiring: $71.62

Diamond Audio 6X9 Rear speakers: $246.20
Infinity front component system with crossovers: $499.97
Xtant 5 channel 550 watt amp with all harnesses and wiring: $620.00
Diamond Audio custom built sealed ported sub woofer box: $200.00
Diamond Audio 12 inch deep reference subwoofer: $399.99

Last edited:
Honestly man it doesn't seem worth it for $2500. Reason being for frame damage and extensive body repair. Which will cost a hefty penny to fix and in the end it may not be safe. You could buy it and swap the engine and everything else good into a gsx shell. They are hard to find but worth it man. It's your decision man just trying to save you headaches. Look on craigslist I've seen some clean tsi awd's and a couple gsx's.

honestly if he is a close family friend i would ask if you can take the car to a body shop and put it on a frame rail to check for frame damage and then go from there, i have personally repaired cars that look worse than this but is it worth it?

go this route, see what the actual damage is, and the cost to fix that damage either through a shop or diy, then add that cost top the price of the car, and then look up local gsx's in your area and compare the price.

pillar damage and frame damage in my area at my good friends body shop would cost around 2200$ to a general none friend customer depending on the damage.

so your looking at a total cost or 4700$ for a gsx. unpainted...

in my area a decent gsx goes for 5-8k all day long, so in this case if you where in my area it would be a good deal, again this is all depending on the actual damage and cost to fix it.

hope this helps

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back