The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

Sales or Service

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dsm03

15+ Year Contributor
Mar 4, 2007
Brandon, MB_Canada
Hey Tuners,

I am in the middle of a dilemma right now and seeking advice from those who are involved in the business or have experience first hand in this industry.

Little bit of background on me,

I am 27 and have been in cellular sales since I was 20. Recently, I have decided to depart from this industry and move in the Automotive Industry, which will be very similar in comparison to job description and responsibility. I am leaving the cellular industry for the purpose of wanting a more professional career, structured schedule where I will have something more set than oppose to having to work retail hours. Quite frankly, I find I am getting to old for this job and wanting to leave it for the youngsters who I cannot share weekend stories with who are 18-22 and don't have enough drunk party stories to share. I will be settling down soon recently engaged and would be nice to have a job where I could come home at the same time as my future spouse and have more time for a family rather than being away on evenings and weekends working.

Now, getting more to the point. I was told I could make good money as a Service Advisor(Writer) or as a Sales Person.

I like the idea of a Service Advisor where I do not have to worry too much about sales pressure as much as I would if I were to be selling cars. I'd get a base salary + bonuses and a small percentage of commission. On, the other hand of selling I would have to work the grind and really be on my feet and sell minimum 10 cars a month to make the salary that I would be able to as an Advisor. My problem is, one place has offered me a job as a Sales Consultant and I was first interested in Advising, so 3 days past and I was waiting on a call from a friend who had said he could possibly get me in as an Advisor where he works. both jobs are mine if I want them I just feel bad If I were to turn down the first position seeing as how they gave me a offer first and they have told me that advancement will be promising, I could move up to sales manager in a year if there is an opening. Personally, I don't think I would want to be selling for that much longer where I have to depend on self talent to make the money but I don't want to sell myself short neither as potential in sales is as much as you can make it. I know I sound really undecided and I just have a tough time figuring out what will be best so any help would be appreciated or a better insight of the two positions.

Thanks

I moved from automotive to HVAC personally. As a qualifier, I worked at a dealer ship for 8 years starting as a detailer and leaving as an Auction Representative for the dealership. Also worked at an auto body shop for 3 years before I went to college to switch careers taking advantage of the recession.

As you already know it's competitive but something to think about would be that a lot of salesman have a costumer base built up from years of selling. I know of one guy thats had over 500 regulars. So not every customer will be fair game. That being said some guys divert customers to the new guy and some dealerships policies are to give the new guy all new customers. So you may want to look into that.

If you can get in as service advisor it will be much lower pressure as you have stated. But a few well placed techniques and you could be makin well more then the services advisor position. If you enjoy sales go for it. But if your unsure about wanting to stay in sales then take the opportunity now to get out while it's there. Most dealership have openings at least every two years so that chance could come back up if you find the service advisor position inadequate.

The city I am from isn't the biggest city out here in Canada but the main city in my province. However, the two dealerships that are offering me positions are the biggest groups in this city, I ve been trying to ask around to see which is better over the other but I can't find anyone with solid information, I guess I am worried that with which ever Dealership I choose if something goes wrong I'll be saying what if I went with the other but that's something no one could predict..

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back