The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support ExtremePSI

SAFC 2 Newbie questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SeanCollins

10+ Year Contributor
Apr 23, 2011
Tully, New_York
I bought my car with the SAFC and have never figured out how to use it right. I recently upgraded to a 2g MAS and 2.5 intercooler piping, and an AFPR. Prior to these mods there was a walbro installed and had me running real rich. I was wondering if anyone had a similar setup or could point me in the right direction in getting this thing running good.

ok well im going to tell you what he^^^^^^^^^^said is your best bet.. I would do no tuning until you can get that in.. Now il give you some info but im in no way responsible if you go tuning your car and blow it up cause you wont listen to me LOL..

Ok now the 2g mas has about 20% more flow then the 1g mas.. That means THEORETICALLY youd need to richen it out to around there.. Now you don't want to go blind tuning especially with something like 2g mas.. So id say take the afc and add about 14-15 percent fuel and seeming your running a AFPR turn the fuel pressure up a few psi also.... Ive seen many people that just go up to 20-24 but i cant remember what mods they had..

Now you CAN do the blue wire mod that will allow you to see what the ecu's voltage is from the O2 sensor but this is something you should try and stay away from if possible.. If not it CAN be used temporarily so you can get it running ok. It has been proven to degenerate the signal a bit that the ecu sees but if you just use it to get a idea where shes at then cut the wire of and put it back to normal it shouldn't be an issue.

Now id personally say get yourself some evo 560 injectors and a wideband or get some 550's until you can save for a WB. The 2g mas has been proven to work well with the 550's with little to no tuning
I personally like the 560's because there cheaper and they flow more like 580's so it gives you a bit more room for boost later on.. If none of these are an option follow what i said earlier and make an educated guess..

But remember no two cars a re the same and there is no one that can just tell you what to set the car to..

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the help in this. I do plan on getting a wide band gauge soon as well as maybe going to link if I decide to invest further into this thing, it's just been hard spending money and not being able to drive. I am going to bigger injectors soon as well but I need to get over to my buddies place so he can help me out with the safc. I am worried about driving around with it as is, I really don't need anything else breaking

PS you say up the psi a little, you have seen 20-24 , well the base on a 1g is closer to 38-39 with vacuum off and drips a little with vacuum so did you mean up the psi to 40-44? Also i am only around 7 psi of boost right now because I turned down the mbc until I get a good tune, should I let it back up around 14 or leave it?

Thanks for the help in this. I do plan on getting a wide band gauge soon as well as maybe going to link if I decide to invest further into this thing, it's just been hard spending money and not being able to drive. I am going to bigger injectors soon as well but I need to get over to my buddies place so he can help me out with the safc. I am worried about driving around with it as is, I really don't need anything else breaking

PS you say up the psi a little, you have seen 20-24 , well the base on a 1g is closer to 38-39 with vacuum off and drips a little with vacuum so did you mean up the psi to 40-44? Also i am only around 7 psi of boost right now because I turned down the mbc until I get a good tune, should I let it back up around 14 or leave it?

I would leave the boost level alone. I meant people who throw a 2g mas on there car correct the safc to add around 20-24% fuel..
As for upping the psi i was saying you should up your fuel pressure psi LOL not the boost psi.. I definitively wouldn't turn up the boost until you can get a WB and probably a EGT gauge as a safety measure with it..

Ya 43 should be ok.. Just something to help with the fuel.. Its better to be rich then lean.. Also id say adjust The safc to around +14 or so.. if you smell it running really rich or see lots of black smoke then you can back the fuel pressure off a bit from there but like i said rich is always better then lean..Not great anyways but its better

Alright I will do what you said when I get home. I did take it to advanced earlier the way it was and it seemed decent. I did how ever hit a gnarly bump on the freeway the loosened an ic pipe but I put it back on tight and was good to go. Thanks for the help.

Thanks again, when you say raise my FPR psi how high should I go? Around 43 psi like a 2g? Or did you mean just on the safc to adjust things?

43.5 is ideal for a 2g for your AFPR.

43.5 is ideal for a 2g for your AFPR.

Lol but hes not running a 2g.. its a 92.. I simply told him that would help him more then just blind tuning with the afc to the corrections of a 2g mas.. A small amount of corrections with the afc and turning up the fuel pressure seems like a better option to me then just turning up the afc especially seeming it will induce fuel cut that much sooner..

I forgot to mention before that I think the safc is reading my RPM way off, the dash was at 3500 but the safc was around 2500ish I don't know exact number as this was just something I recall while driving.

I forgot to mention before that I think the safc is reading my RPM way off, the dash was at 3500 but the safc was around 2500ish I don't know exact number as this was just something I recall while driving.

You have to go into the ect. menu. Then click into car type and make sure its set to 4cylinders and that the arrow is pointing up..Well itll be a bit of an angle but youll see what i mean.

You have to go into the ect. menu. Then click into car type and make sure its set to 4cylinders and that the arrow is pointing up..Well itll be a bit of an angle but youll see what i mean.

Could also be your car rpm that's wrong if it's been tampered with (if a new indiglo/custom gauge was put on which requires the removal of needles which sometimes don't get put back on correctly). Just in case the above doesn't work.

Fixed the rpm reading on the safc, I guess our cars display a 2 cylinder signal to the safc sometimes... Still not sure what to adjust on the safc. I changed the throttle points to 30/80 from info from the RRE writeup, but as far as changing the points, I am so confused, should I be going up or down on the safc throttle settings? I have it all set to +14 hi and lo all thru the rpm band will that be ok? I just want to make sure I am adjusting it the right direction, because it can go negative as well, so should I be +14 or -14?

You wanna be plus 14.. So you did it right.. Going up adds fuel and going down removes it.. Ya i was going to tell you that it might have to set it to 2 some of our cars like 2 but then there are some(like mine) that like to read the normal 4..

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back