The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

S90 Throttle body seal

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gsxtasy

20+ Year Contributor
Oct 17, 2002
Lincoln, Nebraska
Alright, so after finally getting fed up with my leaking s90 TPS side throttle shaft and temperamental idle, I decided to tear into it. Previously I was under the impression that there were no seals at all in the s90 and only ball bearings on the shaft.

There is a seal!

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

The seal is recessed behind the bearing on the TPS side and there is no seal on the throttle cable side. The first thing that I noticed was that the seal is installed backwards for sealing boost into the engine. I'm guessing yours is too.

I have removed the seal and it says NAK VC 10 16 4 on the back side of it, which is the brand and size of the seal, 10mm ID x 16mm OD x 4mm W.

I ended up sourcing some double lip seals with metal cases of the correct size from: http://mechaniseals.com/10x16x4tm-t...m-id-x-16-mm-od-x-4-mm-wide-nitrile-material/

However, they have a $25 minimum order and $7 flat shipping so I just ordered 10 of them. PM me if you need one.
Disclaimer: I am not a seal expert, so there may be better options out there.

That being said, I have installed the seal the correct way with the addition of some dielectric grease and reassembled the S90. I used a socket with the correct diameter and tapped it into place. It is a tight fit.

To ensure I have the best idle possible, I then coated the back of the throttle plate with dry moly lube to help seal any possible seepage around the throttle plate itself. I also then made a decent gasket from a thick cork/rubber material, since the paper one it comes with is worthless and I didn't want to RTV it on, again, if I didn't have to.

I just went and boost leak tested it again and the shaft seal holds fine up to 30psi(highest I can get my little compressor to push out).

Side note: the throttle plate screws are M4x.7x8mm. They stick out some on the back side and a M4x.7x6mm would probably fit fine.

Hopefully that helps somebody out there as I was struggling to find information.

I wanted to update this thread. Apparently the seal on the 74mm s90 is different than the 70mm s90. That being said, these seals that I have referenced only work on the 70mm variant.

Ive given up on the s90, I have some seal coming in over seas so i can rebuild it. Im gunna use the oem throttle body as it works perfectly. The people you bought the seals from disappeared with my money, the site is down. Hopefully paypal will get my money back.

Bringing up an old thread... What if our TB leaks from the throttle cable side...??? I'm tearing into mine tonight but it seems thats where it is leaking from.

For anyone looking to rebuild a 70mm this is what I purchased. I forgot which one I used but they are very cheap so

Attachments

• E05F00B0-A563-4B13-A62C-356DF5F30841.jpeg
    E05F00B0-A563-4B13-A62C-356DF5F30841.jpeg
    212.9 KB · Views: 358
  • B22AB79B-C2E8-4A11-B384-EA2E9CAEDB16.jpeg
    B22AB79B-C2E8-4A11-B384-EA2E9CAEDB16.jpeg
    221.8 KB · Views: 306
Alright, I'm so tired of the s90... I flipped the stock seal and it still leaks insanely bad. I'm going to source a higher quality seal for my 74mm S90. (which upon review is the same marking as the 70mm, NAK VC 10 16 4) But I'm stumped as to what to do on the throttle cable side??

How can I seal this up since there is no provision for a seal? Any ideas? I can't stand the whistling from the s90. Driving me insane..

-Brady

Last edited:
Alright, I'm so tired of the s90... I flipped the stock seal and it still leaks insanely bad. I'm going to source a higher quality seal for my 74mm S90. (which upon review is the same marking as the 70mm, NAK VC 10 16 4) But I'm stumped as to what to do on the throttle cable side??

How can I seal this up since there is no provision for a seal? Any ideas? I can't stand the whistling from the s90. Driving me insane..

-Brady
Im working on it.....waiting to hear back from a bearing manufacturer

Any updates on this? About to order a 74mm for my build? Anyone got a link for the steel caged seals that fit?
@amsrn13 wanna share your sealmod for tps side? :)

@SasaniFab
Any updade about machining on throttel cable side? I got same problem. I saw on youtube, guy doing modify but not good enought (i think).

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back