The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

S-AFC or E-manage?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Livid

15+ Year Contributor
Feb 8, 2005
Granville, New_York
I just recently turboed my 95 Talon. I'm looking to build a daily driver w/ 350whp or so and run it on pump gas. I'm at a tossup between getting an E-manage / E-01 or just a S-AFC. Since my ultimate goal is only 350whp I was thinking an AFC would be sufficient? Is it hard to tune an AFC to put down 350? Also what size injectors should I get to go along with it? I was told by someone that I shouldn't run above 550's on an AFC? By reading this forum I'm thinking that this is incorrect, but I'm double checking. I already have my 255 walbro in. I have a Super 60 turbo. Please let me know if 350 isn't attaintable with just an AFC, or what my best bet $$ wise would be. I'm also throwing in a racing flywheel and Crowler stage 2 cams to get closer to my goal. Thanks for any help.

If anybody needs any additionally information please let me know.

350 huh. Before I say anything get ready for some comments from the rest

Dude first of all an S-afc and emanage are two different things. I use an S-AFC and that is to tune with my DSM FPR and 360's. It would be near impossible to tune with 450cc injectors with an FMU and S-AFC alone but 550's. An S-AFC is a fine tuning device.

About your HP goal well, lets leave it at this, Suieclipse has the most proven hp that I have seen here and thats 337whp with portfueler and high boost. That is a built engine and all the goodies. So 350hp is kinda high. hah. but yeah Greddy is ok but i would reccomend portfueller or megasquirt. Do searches I had the same questions, well sorta but your not going to hit 350 i promise.

SAFC's are definitely more popular and respected w/ DSM's and I have nothing to say about tuning via E-manage so the afc gets my vote...Yes, people tune safc's w/ injectors larger than 550cc's all the time, it just gets harder once you cross pass the 650-660cc line and start trying to tune with 720cc's are so...Also, another problem with tuning you will run into is by running a stock FPR w/ a 255lph fuel pump...Usually you will run way too rich no matter what you do..>You have to get an AFPR (A=adjustable) so you can lower the fuel pressure back to a more stock like setting

EDIT: Wow sorry, didn't realize this was a N/T tech question when I first responded...I am guessing things are much different when you are tuning a 420a-Turbo...Oh well, I meant well :thumb:

greenmeanie99 said:
Dude first of all an S-afc and emanage are two different things. I use an S-AFC and that is to tune with my DSM FPR and 360's. It would be near impossible to tune with 450cc injectors with an FMU and S-AFC alone but 550's. An S-AFC is a fine tuning device.

Hmm maybe i should shoot for 350 at the crank ... By the way, I forgot to mention that I already have a FPR. I dont think I understand what you are saying there. Are you saying that S-AFC won't be adequete for tuning by itself? If I do go with a piggyback ecu I'm goin with the e-manage because I have a friend out here who is very familiar with it. If I understand you correctly I need something more powerful than a S-AFC? greenmeanie99 what psi are you running your turbo at to get your 1/4 @ 90mph?

If you want to run with SAFC and run bigger injectors. You gotta buy yourself a SFMU, so you can tune the fuel presssure coming in. but I think you said you already have a 1:1 FPR.

Either way your not gonnna be able to run bigger than 440cc inectors, and using a safc, you only get 16 fuel points to tune at.

If you've got the cash, and got an experience friend with the emange I'd go with that, thats what I'm doing. Definatey get the e01 with it, as that is what makes the two great together.

Definatley research porterfuler and megasquirt, as they are much better systems but you gotta under stand it first.

Livid said:
Hmm maybe i should shoot for 350 at the crank ... By the way, I forgot to mention that I already have a FPR. I dont think I understand what you are saying there. Are you saying that S-AFC won't be adequete for tuning by itself? If I do go with a piggyback ecu I'm goin with the e-manage because I have a friend out here who is very familiar with it. If I understand you correctly I need something more powerful than a S-AFC? greenmeanie99 what psi are you running your turbo at to get your 1/4 @ 90mph?

Since you have read my profile to find my N/T trap speed, you can also see that in parts there is a 5lb actuator. Listen don't get me wrong, I realize that last comment kind of made me sound like a dick, however I'm just going from what we see here. A built engine means you can run high boost, but if your goal is that high of HP, then you need a good piggy back. What is the ratio of your FPR? Anyone can agree that if your goal is that high you need a reliable and effective fuel system. Good luck man :dsm:

greenmeanie99 said:
350 huh. Before I say anything get ready for some comments from the rest

About your HP goal well, lets leave it at this, Suieclipse has the most proven hp that I have seen here and thats 337whp with portfueler and high boost. That is a built engine and all the goodies. So 350hp is kinda high. hah. but yeah Greddy is ok but i would reccomend portfueller or megasquirt. Do searches I had the same questions, well sorta but your not going to hit 350 i promise.

My car isn't tuned though. Im so rich its rediculous. HRC says they can get it to 400whp as it currently sits on pump gas.

My FPR is 1:1. I also have Eagle Rods / Weisco Pistons. I guess I will stay away from the S-AFC. I'm sure this thread made me look like a newb, but I actually know some amount about fuel management systems, I just wasn't sure how far a AFC could take me, since I've never really considered it, I've always just wanted to go straight to a piggyback, but after looking at the price of the piggybacks and all the harnesses, ect. I figured I'de ask all you about the AFC before I spent this kind of money on something that I wasn't sure would be "overkill" or not, but anyways thanks everybody for your help. Any additional information that you want to give on the fuel system would be much appreciated.

just want clarify.... from what ive gathered... maybe im just dumb... SOOO
Tuning a car with bigger then stock injectors aka 550's using S-afc is not very efficent? Is this correct b/c this is the current system I was going to use.

Thanks...

in no way do i intend to steal this thread :)

thanks

g
:talon: :dsm:

Well this relates to a N/T-Turbo DSM so the tuning and fuel is very different...Most turbo DSM's use SAFC's for any injectors basically 450-680cc and that is about the limit after that...It's ok, I didn't realize this was a N/T tech question either at first

i think the problem with the safc and the 420a is the stock ecu. i installed my safc 2 about two weeks ago and have been playing around with it and my wideband. the ecu seems to adapt to anything i throw at it as far as the safc goes. in a few months i will have my sfmu and 440cc injectors installed and then i will see how far the safc will go.

selmerguy said:
i think the problem with the safc and the 420a is the stock ecu. i installed my safc 2 about two weeks ago and have been playing around with it and my wideband. the ecu seems to adapt to anything i throw at it as far as the safc goes. in a few months i will have my sfmu and 440cc injectors installed and then i will see how far the safc will go.
Shwan from CI was running 30 psi with a safc, what else he had I am not too sure, he told me that he blew his motor up at idal. To be honest I would like to know exactly what he was running just for a peace of mind. Anyone who could throw down 30 psi deff had some crazy shit going on.

youkickedmydog said:
Shwan from CI was running 30 psi with a safc, what else he had I am not too sure, he told me that he blew his motor up at idal. To be honest I would like to know exactly what he was running just for a peace of mind. Anyone who could throw down 30 psi deff had some crazy shit going on.

last i talked to shawn(2 months ago) he was running 18 psi and his cam gears slipped and bent all his valves.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back