The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

RWD Tiburon 2007 [Merged 11-7] Genesis Hyundai

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JessesTalon

15+ Year Contributor
Dec 13, 2003
Beaverton, Oregon
Well if its true I know what ill be saving up my money for possibly instead of a EVO...

World scoop: Hyundai confirms its next-gen Tiburon coupe will be rear-wheel drive

By BYRON MATHIOUDAKIS 29 April 2005

advertisement "FUTURE Driven" Hyundai will abandoning front-wheel drive for its next Tiburon.

Due to be unveiled towards the end of 2007 before a local debut the following year, the rear-wheel drive coupe will be a "serious sports car", according to a senior Hyundai Motor Company executive.

Although details are scant, it is believed the Tiburon replacement will be a three-door coupe featuring many of the styling cues as well as the general proportions displayed on the HCD-8 Concept Car, which made its global debut at the 2004 Detroit motor show and has since appeared in Melbourne.

The HCD-8, as it stands, is powered by a supercharged version of a current 2.7-litre DOHC V6 with a six-speed manual gearbox.

However, variations of Hyundai's new-generation 3.3 and 3.8-litre V6 engines are expected to debut in the 2+2 seater sports car, with the latter one likely to be the range-topper.

"Yes, we are developing rear-wheel drive for the next sports car," was the surprising response from Hyun Soon Lee, Executive Senior Vice President for Hyundai Motor Corporation.

This remark came after a suggestion from the gathered press at the opening of the 2005 Seoul motor show in South Korea that the company seek the passionate sports car route to increase its global youth appeal, rather than simply focus on quality.

Mr Lee's remark even caught out other Hyundai executives.

It is a surprising development for a model that started out as the very unsporty two-door derivation of the front-wheel drive Hyundai X2 Excel of 1990 called the S-Coupe.

That car's predecessor jumped up to the 1995 J2 Lantra platform to become the SX, FX and SFX Coupe until the current, sharper - but still front-wheel drive - Tiburon came into the fray in 2002.

A rear-wheel drive sports car is in line with Hyundai's desire to push its vehicles further upmarket.

Such a model willl probably share many components with a rear-wheel drive sedan in much the same way that Nissan's 350Z has spawned a range of mostly-US market Infinity products such as the G35.

There has been speculation for some time that Hyundai was considering releasing a luxury line of vehicles above the current, Sonata-derived Grandeur - which has just had a complete makeover and is the star of Hyundai's stand at Seoul.

Adding further credence to Hyundai's sports image push is its re-entry into the World Rally Championship from 2008.

The company says it will field an all-wheel drive "sports car" very loosely derived from the yet-to-be released Accent replacement, the front-wheel drive MC4 small car.

Australian new car buyers have never experienced a rear-wheel drive Hyundai in the marque's 19-year local history.

Yet before that first 1986 X1 Excel, its entire range consisted of rear-wheel drive small and medium sized models, mostly derived from outmoded Fords like the Cortina-based Stellar.

Hyundai's Seoul motor show catch-cry this year is "Endless Surprise, In Our Motor-Life". A rear-wheel drive Tiburon replacement is nothing if not that from South Korea's number one car-maker.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

looks like a wicked curvy 2G...
I would take that over an EVO anyday...

it is a step in the right direction
2008-2010 are going to be good times....

supras, lf-a's, v10 nsx's, v8 RLs...and a rwd tiburon

the future might be bright after all

oh yea...dodge challegner and 2nd gen gto...

AWESOME! More Cars to gawk at that will probally never make it to the showroom and if they do I wont be able to afford it!

now if mitsu were smart theyd convert the current eclipse line over to RWD to compete with cars like the 350z and that tiburon.

btw that tibby looks badass and id take one, looks like a 350z but alot sleeker and agressive.

JessesTalon said:
It is a surprising development for a model that started out as the very unsporty two-door derivation of the front-wheel drive Hyundai X2 Excel of 1990 called the S-Coupe.
I used to own 2 Scoupe's. One was factory turbocharged :shhh:

The front bumper opening looks like it was based off the way some 2G owners cut open their front bumpers to expose their FMIC.

Thomas91169 said:
now if mitsu were smart theyd convert the current eclipse line over to RWD to compete with cars like the 350z and that tiburon.

btw that tibby looks badass and id take one, looks like a 350z but alot sleeker and agressive.

Or if they were really smart they'd keep moving it in the direction it's going since it's selling better then ever for them.

Defiant said:
Say what you will. Hyundai gets it. They understand the American market possibly better than any other carmaker out there.

I agree w/ defiant about Hyundai uderstanding the American market, but I could never bring myself to purchase anything made by them. I do hand it to 'em though, I see a lot of people w/ Hyundais. My rents being 2 of them. :talon:

Thomas91169 said:

Thats not the tiburon, thats the HCD-8 concept which the new tiburon will look like. Im excited about the tiburon and the awd accent that will be coming out.

well,i hope their crappy motors hold..we have 2 yes count them 2 2005 tiburons in the shop with less than 5 and 3000 miles respectivley..with rod knock.. ROFL

sad isnt it? when the first one came in,we though..oh well..shit happens..TODAY the second one came in.. i almost bought one .. thank god i kept the dsm

I think it looks like an awesome Chrysler Crossfire :thumb:

Can't wait for the final concepts!

Hyundai has been on the ball, sounds like they are going to make it a 350z fighter. By the time 2008-2010 rolls around EVO X's will be out :D . I truly believe Mitsu is starting to come around again as well, I like what I see of the EVO X concept pics.

I'm a Hyundai Tech, and the cars are on there way to the top. There really starting to become a great car manufacture. Mercedes designed motors built buy Mitsubishi is whats going in the 06s.

Defiant said:
Say what you will. Hyundai gets it. They understand the American market possibly better than any other carmaker out there.

Wrong. Toyota is the company that really understands the American market better than any other carmaker out there.

AWDPetmitsu said:
Wrong. Toyota is the company that really understands the American market better than any other carmaker out there.

How do you figure?

bhop said:
How do you figure?

Toyota is most understanding of what the COMMON person wants. A reliable, gas conserving econobox with a nice stereo.

Defiant said:

Which is why I'm glad to be working for them. Hell last month we sold 104 brand new Hyundai's from a lot in a town with only 250,000 or so people. The month's before we were doing 70, 80, or so as well. Hyundai's moving up, hell edmunds.com just ranked our new sonata above both the camry and the accord. OMG

www.glenbrookhyundai.com :thumb:

Don't forget Hyundai also surpassed both Honda and Toyota in Reliability as well. Probably because smarter people with less heavy right feet buy them ;-) but hey, its all good.

I really like this new concept, and alot of the stuff Hyundai is coming out with is looking better and better, ive always been a fan of the tiburon's looks and I hope the model's coming out are going to be looking as much like the concept as possible, but if not im sure they will come up with something good...

interesting to see what kind of transmission they will be developing or using. Can't wait to see this thing come alive.

Ok I'd like to know how the hell Hyundai outrates toyota in terms of reliability? got a link?

Now on the tiburon subject, the car just gets better and better with every remake.

AWDPetmitsu said:

I think toyota used to have an idea of what the american market wanted but they have went down hill. Toyota doesnt have a single sports car in there line up. They retired the celica and the mr2. They have the scion tc but i dont even put that in a sports car classification. I dont see how hyundai is more reliable though. Toyota is the reliability king.

I hope that hyundai makes the next tiburon cool. It has gotten better but i still dont like it.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back