The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Rix Racing

RWD Tiburon 2007 [Merged 11-7] Genesis Hyundai

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

True, regardless I would never drive a awd turbo metro that looks like all hell.

I would give up my awd laser for that in a heartbeat.

You can make any car look good if you have a good imagination(and no, Im not talking about body kits and rims) Little tweaks on a car can have a huge difference on it.

If they can keep the weight below 3000lbs and the little engine puts out at least 200hp to the wheels they will have a winner. The rest can be fixed by the tuners.

True, regardless I would never drive a awd turbo metro that looks like all hell.
I sure as hell would.

Besides the the 4-door model of that car is powered by a 4.6L V8 pushing 380 bhp. So it's likely that they would put it in the 2-door model. The Hyundai V8 is pushing 80 more Hp out of it then the Ford Mustang GT 4.6L.

Me thinks Genesis 4.6L V8 will have 4 valves per cylinder, DOHC, and possibly variable valve timing like all of thier other V configuration engines vs. Mustangs SOHC, 3 valve, standard valve timed motor.

This car is a "production model" prototype, so it will probably look nothing like it and come with a 3.3L V6 in FWD form.

Agreed, i was just saying that I wouldn't want that v6 because it is already maxed out hp wise, probably get max 350 out of that thing. I think it should be less than 3000lbs, the tib is 2969lbs, so it will be close. Good platform though, me and my buddy who works in parts with me were discussing that they should turn the tib into a rwd platform but a turbo 2.0l too. they read my mind. A step in the right direction for korean automakers.

I sure as hell would.

Besides the the 4-door model of that car is powered by a 4.6L V8 pushing 380 bhp. So it's likely that they would put it in the 2-door model. The Hyundai V8 is pushing 80 more Hp out of it then the Ford Mustang GT 4.6L.

Me thinks Genesis 4.6L V8 will have 4 valves per cylinder, DOHC, and possibly variable valve timing like all of thier other V configuration engines vs. Mustangs SOHC, 3 valve, standard valve timed motor.

This car is a "production model" prototype, so it will probably look nothing like it and come with a 3.3L V6 in FWD form.

It will most deffinately be RWD.

I wonder why they did that??? Can you say drift market?? That's what they are trying to tap into... :barf:

Drifting already lost its "buzz." They are doing it because its the smart thing to do. GM(opel twins/camaro/g8) and Chrysler/Dodge(Charger/Challenger/300c) just recently realized this, ford has done well with the mustang but needs more rwd variants in the line up.

The market has been screaming for more rwd cars since the passing of the last golden age(supra, rx7, f-body, etc) and it has taken a long time for companies to start listening.

This is a great move for hyundai. If they can produce a coupe and sedan that are rwd for under 24k, they will seriously cripple a lot of the automotive competition who are finding it difficult to offer powerful rwd cars for under 26k.

Now its up to either Toyota or Hyundai to produce a light(2800lbs or less) rwd car for under 19k. Can you say 21st century ae86?

Many companies have or are planning to bring rwd coupes/sedans into the market soon. However, the main downside to a lot of these upcomming cars is weight and cost. Power is a factor, but not nearly as big as the other two.

Hey guys! Were bringing you the Camaro/challenger/mustang with over 300hp! Cool right? Oh yeah, but they are going to be pushing the 4000lbs mark. These cars will be just as big of boats as the cars they are trying to duplicate from 40 years ago.

Of course the baby boomers or the generation following them are going to either going to:
A. have no problem paying the price since they are making good money anyways, so the price tag of 30k doesnt break the bank for them or
B. drive the car 15 miles a day, and have no intention of making any sharp turns in the car whatsoever.

Now I realize with the increased safety standards and emissions that cars are going to beef up, but many of the econ cars produced have found cheap ways to get around those barriers in order to make relatively light cars. Now all we need is a cheap rwd platform. Like I said before, even if it only has 140hp, people will still flock to this car like crazy assuming the price is right.

f Toyota was smart they would have done this with the Scion t/c. If you think it sells well now, just imagine if that car was rwd and maybe a notch lighter.

Last edited by a moderator:
See, none of that is practical for me (or half the country). I live in Minnesota!! Rwd is a thing of the past. It's not uncommon for us to get 2 or more feet of snow in one day! Same with a lot of other areas in the world.

I see where you're coming from (California). And yes, your right! If I had to choose between a fwd or rwd I would choose the latter. It would make one hellofa nice sports car on a budget. But in real life, you have to deal with traction and handling. MOST of the car market is looking for a nice safe family car. The only ones who can even look at a sports car are people with expendable income, or younger guys (or gals) who don't care about being safe or responsible (IE kids and adulthood, etc).

Fwd is better for a family sedan with good traction. Awd has its purpose. But rwd just doesn't cut it anymore IMO.

I don't think the market will be there for this kind of car. But I would love to be proved wrong.

Last edited by a moderator:
See, none of that is practical for me (or half the country). I live in Minnesota!! Rwd is a thing of the past. It’s not uncommon for us to get 2 or more feet of snow in one day! Same with a lot of other areas in the world.

I see where you’re coming from (California). And yes, your right! If I had to choose between a fwd or rwd I would choose the latter. It would make one hellofa nice sports car on a budget. But in real life, you have to deal with traction and handling. MOST of the car market is looking for a nice safe family car. The only ones who can even look at a sports car are people with expendable income, or younger guys (or gals) who don’t care about being safe or responsible (IE kids and adulthood, etc).

Fwd is better for a family sedan with good traction. Awd has its purpose. But rwd just doesn’t cut it anymore IMO.

I don’t think the market will be there for this kind of car. But I would love to be proved wrong.

You already have been. The current mustang sold like honey flavored crack in its first years, and do you know why? Its because there was no sort of domestic competition whatsoever. None of the companies had any rwd car other than the corvette and the viper.

Chevy and Dodge were caught off gaurd and are frantically trying to get the challenger and camaro up before ford takes anymore of their potential profits.

I realize your point, and its a valid one. fwd is the better alternative for the majority of drivers. But the market for an affordable rwd car is still huge.

Last time I heard (which was awhile ago), they had officially squashed that idea.

Really? I thought they were still working on it, but it was going to be a lexus. However, I wouldnt be surprised if they killed the idea already.

Whatever became of the new Supra they were talking about?

It's still on its way. Lexus has the LF-A concept, and I've seen photos of a Toyota variant (the FT-HS) and if I remember correctly, it doesn't use many of the same parts as the Lexus, seeing as they're both concepts/prototypes. We'll probably see it a few years after the new Z car and GTR come out. Hello, Mazda? We're still waiting for a new RX7. Get on with it. Hyundai's kicking your ass in the sports car territory.

Regarding the "will it be a 4b11 or 4g63" in the new Tiburon: Assuming they stick with a 4-banger, it'll be the 4b11. The 4g63 is dead. The 4b11 will have already proven itself in the EvoX and its advantages over the 4g63 make it the sure bet. As mentioned already, Hyundai already has a lineup of decent V6's that it could use for a GT model, but I highly doubt they'll stick the V8 in it... UNLESS they decide to make a Special Edition Tiburon, something akin to an SVT Cobra Mustang, Viper GTS ACR, etc. That would be interesting indeed: Hyundai stepping into the factory performance world as it's already stepped into the luxury sedan world of BMW and Mercedes. We'll see what happens.

I think Genesis is just the name for the platform they're building the new cars on, much like GM's Kappa platform.

Defiant has been saying for years that Hyundai gets it. They prove him right now. RWD turbo4 sports coupe under 20K? sign me up. 4B11 FTW.

About Lexus...i test drove an IS-F at SEMA. Understeering pig of a car. They best work on chassis dynamics, if the new Supra is to share any of these qualities....

Lexus has the LF-A concept, and I've seen photos of a Toyota variant (the FT-HS) and if I remember correctly, it doesn't use many of the same parts as the Lexus, seeing as they're both concepts/prototypes.
Oh please, please, please don't use that sheet metal on a Supra. :barf:

I wonder why they did that??? Can you say drift market?? That’s what they are trying to tap into... :barf:

seeing the picture has it sitting next to a Mustang, one could only imagine the market they are trying to take sales away from.......

they could have great success if they price it accordingly. I hate the new stangs, they are fat, ugly and underpowered. almost bought one just for the incentives and to get out of my 02 GT, but found a buyer for it dumb enough to pay what i owed and got a 03 Cobra instead, the best and last of the mustangs to roll off the Dearborn line.

Hyundai knows what people want but doesnt know how to deliver. the Tibby would have been ultimately successful if they went through with the RWD platform. Ford however underpowers, overweights and overprices the current Mustang, the only reason its still around is there is no competition from any of the others for the same type of car.

i would pay $25,000 for that car if it was V8, made 350hp, RWD and was relatively light (in todays standards, under 3500lbs). once my 03 is paid off, i will need a DD.

Getting a little off topic, but being a window tinter I wonder who tinted the whole front windshield on that car. Or any car they show in the commercials. I need a gig like that. Thats going to be pretty bad @$$ if it makes it to production.

Word on the street is that you have two motors to chose from. A V6 higher INITIAL horsepower model or a 2.0L turbo. Hmmmm...

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back