The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

RWD 4G63 Subframe mod?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This is what happens when you can't admit that something is a bad idea, but follow through with it anyway for the sake of being able to say you finished it. In a way, I can respect the fact that it's actually rolling around, but at the same time, kill it with fire.

OP Whats up with that front END hahahaha! This funny, awesome, crazy, ridiculousness, just to much going on either way try and make it safe if nothing else....Change the FRONT END BACK TO A DSM! AUDI CORRADO? Or what is it LOL

Question to you crazy guys talking about how that block is to much for the rear end ect ect...explain the difference between this v8 swap and say an ls-whatever into a 240 sx or fc i mean those guys are putting some serious horse power down on their OE rear ends?

Last edited by a moderator:
Question to you crazy guys talking about how that block is to much for the rear end ect ect...explain the difference between this v8 swap and say an ls-whatever into a 240 sx or fc i mean those guys are putting some serious horse power down on their OE rear ends?

A rear end on an AWD car is designed to take only half the power of the engine, the rest is sent to the front diff and ultimately the front wheels. The drivetrain from a DSM is designed to withstand forces exerted from a 2 liter 4 cylinder engine. When you convert to RWD you send all the power to the rear wheels, that coupled with the instant torque from a large V8 is why the factory diff won't last long.

A rear end on an AWD car is designed to take only half the power of the engine, the rest is sent to the front diff and ultimately the front wheels. The drive train from a DSM is designed to withstand forces exerted from a 2 liter 4 cylinder engine. When you convert to RWD you send all the power to the rear wheels, that coupled with the instant torque from a large V8 is why the factory diff won't last long.

If im not mistaken i read 600 horse power somewhere in his thread power potential wise. So what is the difference between some of our 1000 horse power dsm's in a 1G? I drive a 1G personally, and power supposedly is split 50 50 front back so i dont see the problem with power going straight back there? Or is the way torque applied different in this case? torque is torqu and hp is hp aint it? I guess what im asking is how power from a dedicated rwd car is more stress full on his rear end which i hope is welded or something, in comparison to an awd system that is still sending the same amount of power? I also see wont last long...thats with anything modified after market. I guess that answer my question. There isnt necessarily a difference just more stress in some ways. All in all i think his thread VIEW ALONE IS KNARLY!

Last edited by a moderator:
Alpha D, most people who criticize this build do so not because of the fact that it is something different, but because of how it was built. Earlier in the thread there is a long discussion about the fact that new frame of this car is not designed properly and will not hold up to the power/torque of the motor. Surely if it was built by a professional shop most people would be very interested in the build and would think much more of it. But like you said, his story it not known and it is impossible to say for sure what his thinking was going into this.

If im not mistaken i read 600 horse power somewhere in his thread power potential wise. So what is the difference between some of our 1000 horse power dsm's in a 1G? I drive a 1G personally, and power supposedly is split 50 50 front back so i dont see the problem with power going straight back there? Or is the way torque applied different in this case? torque is torqu and hp is hp aint it? I guess what im asking is how power from a dedicated rwd car is more stress full on his rear end which i hope is welded or something, in comparison to an awd system that is still sending the same amount of power? I also see wont last long...thats with anything modified after market. I guess that answer my question. There isnt necessarily a difference just more stress in some ways. All in all i think his thread VIEW ALONE IS KNARLY!

Horsepower is a function of torque. Torque x rpm/5252 = horsepower.

The difference is if he's making 600hp with a V8 his torque figures are also going to be similar. Meanwhile a 1000hp DSM might be lucky to make around 600 lb-ft.

600 lb-ft in an AWD car with a 50/50 split is still going to send only 300 lb-ft to the rear diff. A V8 in a RWD configuration will surely send more force than that to the rear diff.

Not to mention the torque curve.. a low revving, high torque engine will have a flat torque curve with a broad powerband. Meanwhile a high revving engine will most likely have a torque spike and eventually drop off on a dyno graph.

People tried to be nice in the beginning and actually help him, but he pretty much acted like none of us knew anything and that he knew it all and didnt listen to anything anybody had to say. Then he would ask a question again, and do the same thing when he didnt like the answers he got. So at that point pretty much everybody just gave up and started blasting him for being an idiot and building probably the shittiest, most unsafe car thats been built on this page.

If he had just listened to us in the beginning, it coulda turned out to be an interesting build, but this is what happens when somebody that knows Nothing, acts lke they know everything. Screw him, he brought it on himself.

Could a Miata front subframe work? Millions of them out there

I think its cool that you gave everyone the finger and continued with the build. But did you ever stop and ask yourself if you're waisting your time and money? You could have made a badass 1g with that time and money.

If you look at the side view of the car in the for sale ad, you can see it looks like from the firewall back, the car is jacked up, but the front clip is level with the ground...LOL. Looks like it landed from a really high jump.

I would scrap that project and buy my chassis, a true 25.1 4130 chassis. I can see many problems with what you have done, great effort and it's not easy. Send me an email if interested I'm willing to give a hell of a deal and also offer any parts you might need to build this at shops cost. I'd love to see this completed. The chassis comes with a lot of parts as well and I would be there to help in any way as well.

[email protected]

Reason for selling with a family I just don't have the time I use to and just barely finished my Compound Turbo Evo 8. I don't think I could even start this project for another couple years and I can always do it again later.

[URL=http://s126.photobucket.com/user/turbobrian2/media/RWD%20Chassis/188304_156664947722589_128200437235707_279374_1470795_n_zpsrkhinmy8.jpg.html]
You must be logged in to view this image or video.
[/URL]

Gotta bump this back up. I completely forgotten about this thread but it's a great read if you're bored. Take notes new guys.

So....how is this build going? LOL

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back