The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

RWD 4G63 Subframe mod?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I still think a go pro mount somewhere needs to be necessary for the first pass and so we can see you say 'wow everyone was right'

His pass will be on some side street in the middle of bfe next to some civic del sol with an intake and the wheels sticking out 4", no track tech would pass this thing unless he laid out stacks of cash... or he knows the guy in the plumb bob post and just distracts him with chicken?

I bet it holds up a few days, it won't be a "hit the end of the driveway and fall apart" deal. But just when he gets comfortable driving it and gives it a few launches he will be sliding down the road with his feet out the front of the car.

Man this thing is wildly pathetic...

Wow this is one crazy thread i give him credit he went and did what everyone said no to but in all honesty that wasnt a good thing i actully liked visiting new york its a nice place but know that car might be lurking the streets is not worth it (actully it wont be for long till somthing goes majorly wrong)

To summarize we have confirmed bad fabrication at this level is not just bad for the car but also dangerous for the driver any passengers or bystanders / spectators willing or otherwise. I believe it was said earlier in this thread that just because you have a dream and want to make it happen doesn't mean you have to right to infringe on the safety of others regardless of the objective. I'm all for doing things against the norm of how people what a performance car should be but that doesn't mean building it incorrectly. The motor choice isn't even logical to say the least. Sure torque wins races but the cons outweigh the choice by leagues.

As an amateur fabricator and student I can say overestimating one's ability (as shown) can be very dangerous. Knowing when you're in way over your head is a good thing, and I cannot possibly see any good coming out of this. Even IF he gets the build done under "budget" what's the car worth now? What did you accomplish by completing this build? I cannot see any viable answers besides to say "I did it." And maybe that's enough for you.

I close with this; Beautiful car (used to be) Confident Stupid Person (owner)

No vids of this running at the shootout yet?? What are you waiting for dude that's the place to run this for sure!! LOL funny how someone mentioned the fenders not fitting back on this. And well to what I can see they don't LOL. What's the point of a hood and front clip if the fenders don't even fit? And to my wet car already looks like its saging at the firewall :(

I would like to apologize for the previous post it was immature and inappropriate.
Hopefully the car will not fall to pieces like so many of you claim. I have taken it around the block and I need to fix some
things before it's on the road. I am in no rush to finish the car, at this point I want to get the car painted before registration and inspection and will not be attending the shootout.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Dude, get this through, some how, some way... let this through to your logical thinking area of the brain.

You chopped the car in half, then built two separate "halves" of a "tube chassis" and then mated them in the middle with some 1x1 box tubing from home depot. Then to ice the cake on the whole deal, none of the "tube chassis" was built to ANY type of specs.

Not to be a dick, I guess, but I hope the first place you go to get it inspected at flags your VIN # as un passable. Not as me wanting to see you fail, but as a concern for safety for anyone around this car. This thing is scary.

Dude, get this through, some how, some way... let this through to your logical thinking area of the brain.

You chopped the car in half, then built two separate "halves" of a "tube chassis" and then mated them in the middle with some 1x1 box tubing from home depot. Then to ice the cake on the whole deal, none of the "tube chassis" was built to ANY type of specs.

Not to be a dick, I guess, but I hope the first place you go to get it inspected at flags your VIN # as un passable. Not as me wanting to see you fail, but as a concern for safety for anyone around this car. This thing is scary.

The 1x1 tubing has no structural purpose it's simply there so I have a firewall there is tubular construction connecting the front to the rear in 4 solid mounts. I do hear your concern and I will admit my skill level is not up to the task 100% but I do feel that it is safe enough or I would not be risking my life or innocent bystanders.

And you still can't understand how to properly build a safe roll cage.

This right here is one of the biggest reasons that this will fail. I repeat WILL FAIL. You have your front frame rails connected with a diagonal bar to the dash bar. I can't undestand why you can't see this, or listen to the people that do this for a living. How are they somehow wrong, but you who has never done this is somehow right?

Not that I think this is a good attempt, but your quote about "people who do this for a living" is wrong. Just because people do things for a living does not make them an expert by any means. I highly doubt that there is is 1 person on the board with the skills to actually determine with any certainty if this has the structural integrity to survie on the road.

Just because someone fabricates some chassis to sfi specs does not mean they are an expert in chassis design and should be listened to. Especially if they have time to post on toon town.

I think the op would have been several steps ahead just buying a chasis kit from jegs. I'm prety sure it's like $1500....

Not that I think this is a good attempt, but your quote about "people who do this for a living" is wrong. Just because people do things for a living does not make them an expert by any means. I highly doubt that there is is 1 person on the board with the skills to actually determine with any certainty if this has the structural integrity to survie on the road.

Just because someone fabricates some chassis to sfi specs does not mean they are an expert in chassis design and should be listened to. Especially if they have time to post on toon town.

I think the op would have been several steps ahead just buying a chasis kit from jegs. I'm prety sure it's like $1500....

You would be surprised there are a lot of members on this site. I am sure that there are a few engineers on here that could run computer simulation and show you the exact points where this will break. You don't have to be a chassis expert to know when something is designed wrong.

I'd be extremely suprised. An FEA program capable of this kind of work is like $15000 a seat for entry level. Probably $150,000 to actually get any real info. Even then you still need to do destructive testing to know for sure. Automakers have entire teams devoted to this, and they still suck at it.

It's a very advanced subject. Anyway my point is just because someone builds racecars doesn't make them a chassis design expert.

It does make them smarter than this guy though (at building safe cages and 3/4 tube cars like this)

And that's all that matters in this case

I'm no expert either, but I've built cages, designed cages for jeeps and have stretched jeeps/made suspension points etc etc.

This cage design is hacked together with no thought put into the majority of it, the pillars don't even fully extend to the floor, they end in a 90* angle going into the floor, which is a "shearing point" on the cage because it it butt welded with no reinforcement, considering the whole mass of the cage is riding on a 4" stub to the floor at a right angle.

It had potential, the drive and determination... but, it was executed all sorts of wrong, once the firewall got hacked out for no reason, this was toast.

There would have been a way for it to still be safe with a FULL TUBE like I had posted many pages ago. I for one would not even attempt to drive this thing on the road. I would still give it a B- for effort but a F- for execution.

OP, Did you ever put anything other than the 1x1 bar in for the firewall or is that still all open? If you have any sort of exhaust/fluid leaks, you will be huffing it while it's going down the road. Something to think about.

Bastard, if you don't see what's wrong here, then maybe you should stop posting. The whole front weight and back weight of the car is teetering on that hacked up 90º angle when he CLEARLY could have made the hoop go through to the floor, then made the door x attach to said hoop, one continuous piece of pipe... I mean, if you think that's safe, maybe you should go do the first launch for him.... maybe launch it into a speed bump and see if that passes?

Its hacked....

Hmmm, is the upper support for the whole front end riding on a plate, a plate that is welded to some 1x1 that's not meant for this type of application... sweet save with the piece of tubing as back up though, still not safe or correct. or is it bastard? Since you are calling me out on if I know anything?

This, is hack....

And one last HUGE, f***ING HUGE detail to see.... look at the bottom "rails".... see how they end before they even attach to the body.... hmmm, I've free floated a few ar15's in my day, but never a big ol v8, then sat behind it.

Anything else? Or is two pics enough?

Also, dsm4life.... how can you say the 1x1 isn't supporting anything, when I clearly see a piece of round tube mounted to it? Even with a pipe behind it, its all about the "shearing strength" of the 1/8" walled garbage you have the plate mounted to. This application of steel is for household projects or for instance, my custom roof rack and light mounts on top of my jeep. Its not meant to have heavy objects welded to it, the steel can just tear, like a weak piece of paper. Thats the issue, and that you have 4 front end mounts that are all up high, what is supporting the bottom of the front end? That's why your car already looks like a banana.

Last edited:
Quite funny how many people get bent out of shape here. If you give advise and he doesn't want to take it leave it at that no need to keep posting and trash talking him. I give him credit for attempting it and any fab work he's done.

DISCLAIMER: Now I'm not one for v8s or saying this in any way was the best way go about building/constructing/fabricating this. Or that it will last xxxxxx miles or run xx.xx 1/4 mile times and only cost xxxx$ of Dollars .But take off the Mr. Safety hard hats and let the guy enjoy playing in the garage no harm done.

Quite funny how many people get bent out of shape here. If you give advise and he doesn't want to take it leave it at that no need to keep posting and trash talking him. I give him credit for attempting it and any fab work he's done.

DISCLAIMER: Now I'm not one for v8s or saying this in any way was the best way go about building/constructing/fabricating this. Or that it will last xxxxxx miles or run xx.xx 1/4 mile times and only cost xxxx$ of Dollars .But take off the Mr. Safety hard hats and let the guy enjoy playing in the garage no harm done.

^^^ yet, you left that out. And the problem is, this isn't a garage project, its a 3000 lb vehicle that is hacked apart and pieced back together that will be on the streets.

Bastard, if you don't

Allright f***o, you better back your shit up right now. No where at all did I say that I thought this was safe.

In your post you stated that putting a cage on an "outrigger" is a no-no. That's NHRA legal, ass hat.[DOUBLEPOST=1408894494][/DOUBLEPOST]
Allright f***o, you better back your sh** up right now. No where at all did I say that I thought this was safe.

In your post you stated that putting a cage on an "outrigger" is a no-no. That's NHRA legal, ass hat.
You also better know who your responding to like that.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back